HOME - Front Page

Journals
of Buildings
of Businesses
of Groups
of People
of Places
of Religion
of Theater

Heritage \ Buildings \

Journal of Buildings/Structures
Business bridges, buildings, halls, hotels, etc.

Related pages:

Buildings (year built)

Bay City (east side)

  • Bay City Traction & Power Company (1888) 211 Water st.{See Featured Page}
  • Center House (1835) - Water st. (now in Veterans Memorial Park)
    Built by Joseph and Mador Trombley, First frame house in Bay County. Served as home, store, rooming house. Also known as, "River House." In 1981, moved by barge to Veterans Memorial Park.
  • County Court Houses
    First building was built in 1868 on Center bet. Jefferson & Madison, a 2-1/2 story structure costing $40,000. Previously, meeting were held in a building owned by James Fraser located near the river on Forth st. In 1937, the present 9 story structure replaced it.
  • County Jails
    In 1863, fire destroyed the jail on Sixth st. bet. Water & Saginaw, a wood building at Seventh & Monroe followed it, in 1870 - a new 3 story jail costing $35,000 was erected on s.e. cor. Jefferson & Center. A 2 story brick jail was built facing Center was built on n.e. cor. of Jefferson & Sixth before present combined city/county jail was built on n.w. cor. Third & Madison.
  • First National Bank Block (1872)
  • McEwan Block (1876) - w.s. Washington, bet. Center & Sixth.
  • Pere Marquette Railroad Station (1904) - 401 5th st. {View Image}
    12,000 sq.ft. building, it was the "Bay City and East Saginaw Railroad" founded by partnership of James Birney (circuit judge) and James Fraser (former lieutenant governor) of the Saginaw Bay Lumber Company, and A.S. Munger (merchant). In 1867, Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad acquired the properties. (Excellent background [articles] by Rob Clark of the Bay City Times.
  • Phoenix Building (1888) - s.w. cor. Washington & Center.
  • Ridotto Building (1896) s.w. cor. Madison & Center.
    It was the popular for entertainment, destroyed by fire in 1940.
  • Shearer Block - n.e. cor. Water & Center.
    Built by James Shearer.
  • Shearer Central Block (1876) - n.e. cor. Water & Center.
    Built by James Shearer.
  • Shearer Bros. Block (1884) - n.w. cor. Center & Adams.
    Built by James Shearer.
  • Watson Block (1868) w.s. N. Water, foot of Center.
    Built by James Watson.
  • Westover Block (1868-1886) - s.w. cor. Washington & Center.
    Built by Wm. Westover. {See Featured Page}
  • Woods Opera House (1886-1902) - s.e. cor. Washington & Sixth.
    First building devoted solely to theater, destroy by fire 1902. {See Featured Page}

Bay City (west side)

  • Babo Block (1869) s.e. cor. Midland & Linn.
    Built by Charles Babo.
  • Clark Block (1867) n.w. cor. Midland & Walnut.
    Built Newcomb Clark.
  • Fisher Block (1882) n.s. Midland, btwn. Linn & Walnut.
    Built by S.O. Fisher.
  • Lewis Block (1884) s.w. cor. Midland & Henry.
    Built by Lewis bros. Initially hardware store, puchased mid-1890s by Frank & John Mohr.
  • Loose Block (abt. 1890) n.e. cor. Midland & Henry.
    Built by J.F. Wilham Loose.
  • Lumbermans State Bank (1881) n.e. corner Midland & Linn.
  • Mohr Building, n.e. cor. Midland & Henry {See Featured Page}
  • Moots Block (1868) s.e. cor. Midland & Linn.
    Built by William Moots.
  • Mosher Block (1882) n.w. cor. Midland & Linn.
    Built by George Mosher.
  • Opera House (1892) e.s. Walnut, n. of Vermont.
    Built by West Bay City, include city offices with opera house.
  • Sage Block (1873) s.w. cor. Midland & Walnut.
    Built by Henry Sage.
  • Swart Block (1891) n.w. cor. John & Linn.
    Built by Stephen Swart.

Bridges

Bay City

  • Belinda Bridge (1893) - connected Belinda & Patterson streets.
    A narrow iron swing-span bridge. The e.s. was once a residential area that included a grocery store and two taverns. The w.s. approach curved slightly west off Patterson to bridge. The current Independence Bridge replaced it connecting at Trumble (e.s.) and Wilder (w.s.).
  • Third Street Bridge (1864) - connected Third & Midland.
    A narrow wood swing-span brdige. First structure connecting east and west sides of Bay City. Replaced by iron structure in 1890. Replaced by current Liberty Bridge connecting Woodside (e.s.) and Vermont (w.s.). See [Writings/Third Bridge 1890s]

Hotels

Bay City

  • Bunnel House (1868) - s.e. cor. John & Linn.
    Built by Bunnel Bros. In 1882, purchased by by Louis Potter who named it Arlington. {Picture}
  • Forest City Hotel (1854) - Saginaw & 6th.
    Built by Christopher Heinzmann, a German meat merchant. Destroyed by fire in 1859, rebuilt on s.w. cor. Washington & 6th. Purchased by nephew with same name who partnered with John Garrison in 1887. In 1950, the building was destroyed to make way for a new Mutual Savings & Loan building.
  • Fraser Hotel (1867) - s.e. cor. Center & Water.
    Three level brick building, included theater hall.
  • Globe Hotel - s.e. cor. Water & 5th sts.
    Built in 1837 as residence of Sydney S. Campbell, he turned it into a hotel that was popular as a political meeting place, first Hampton Township election was held here. Later, leased by A.N. Rouech in 1865 who named it the Globe and a added third level for entertainment.
  • Rouech Hotel - s.e. cor. 5th & Water, Bay City
    Built by Azel Rouech in 1868. Renamed Park Hotel around 1900 due to its location being near new Wenonah Park. Later became Kimbark Hotel.
  • Wolverton House (abt. 1852) - s.w. cor. 3rd & Water, Bay City
    Second hotel Hotel owned by Johnathan S. Barclay who named it after first lighthouse keeper, it included a postoffice and a hall used for town meetings, dancing and theater.

Beaver Township

  • Beaver Hotel - Willard
    Originally a saloon, the building was converted to a hotel at the beginning of the 1900s. Later it became the Willard-Hilton, a popular local restaurant.

HELP US IF YOU CAN -- Contribute A Piece Of History To This Page!