Journal of Groups
Groups, clubs and organizations.
- Bay City Board of Commerce - organized 1910
Located on Center Ave. (between Adams & Jefferson streets.), it became the first successful business organization after several earlier failures. In 1923, name was changed to Bay City Chamber of Commerce.
- Bay City Boat & Fishing Club - organized 1894
Under the guidance of William F. Jennison, the club erected its first building along the shoreline at the foot of Scheurmann street in Essexville. A couple of years later the name changed to the Bay City Boat Club and is now known as the Bay City Yacht Club on Weadock road. (View the Essexville Pictorial for photos and more history.)
- Bay City Club - organized 1885
Located southwest corner of Jefferson & Center. A fraternal club for social gatherings, included a gym on third floor. No longer exists and date of final operations is unknown.
- Bay City YMCA - organized 1868
First operated from the rented third floor of the Averill Building located on Center avenue (between Water and Saginaw street). Dr. H.B. Landon was elected first president. The original organization didn't survive, but was revised again in 1885 operating out of the Walton Block building on west side of Adams between Center avenue and Sixth street. In 1908, they moved to a new building on the north east corner of Washington and Seventh street. In 1954, they moved to their current location on Madison avenue.
- Bay City YWCA - organized 1891
Several temporary locations were used for the first years until about 1900 when a portion of the Root block on Center avenue (north west corner of Battery Park) accommodate their site needs. In 1916, they moved to the south west corner of Fourth and Adams. Moved to current facilities on Midland road just south of Euclid avenue in 1970s.
- Bay City Junior College - Columbus Ave. (3rd fl. Central High School)
In 1922, this two year college opened as only the 3rd junior college in Michigan operating in a portion of the "new" Central High School building completed in the Spring of that year. This highly accredited college would be closed in 1961 with the opening of "Delta College" organized by the communities of Bay, Midland and Saginaw. George Butterfield, a noted historian of Bay County, served as it's dean from 1926-48.
- Grand Army of the Republic Post - organized (unknown)
Civil War organization located on Washington avenue in Bay City. General Benjamin Partridge served as post commander for many years. Year started and ended are unknown.
- Arbeiter Unterstuetzing Verein No. 1 - organized in 1866
German immigrant social group, club house was located on two acres at Johnson and Seventh streets.
- Masons, Bay City Lodge No. 129 - chartered 1861
The Masonic Temple building is at Madison avenue and 6th street was built in 1893, later it was damaged by fire and completely rebuilt.
- Bay City Wolves Baseball Team - late 1800s
One of its players, Hazen (Ki ki) Cyler from Harrisville, made it to the major leagues. Later he became a coach with the Boston Red Sox.