Banks, frequently known as Bangor, was incorporated in April, 1871. It is located on the north bank of the river, opposite Bay City, the channel making an eastwardly bend.
A steam ferry plies between the above points, every half-hour, fare five cents. Banks is chiefly noted for its manufacturing interests, principally in lumber, salt, shingles, staves, lath, etc.
Village officers are ---
Robert Leng, President; F. Bradfield, Clerk; Barnard Lourim, Treasurer; Joseph Orton, Marshall; Henry Walrath, E.J. Kelton, John C. Ravelle, Joseph Marchand, W.S. Benson, and Jefferson Beebe, Trustees.
School Commissioners. ---
Peter Smith, J.D. Beebe, and Barnard Lourim.
Union School, Fifth avenue, between Bangor and Frank streets; A.L. Cumming, Principal; Miss. M.A. Agnew, Miss Jennie Thompson, Teachers; number of pupils, 300.
There is one church, at least, that of the Methodist Episcopal, corner of Fourth and Transit streets, a public hall, southwest corner Third and Transit.
Names of streets in Banks are:
Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth avenue, Sixth avenue, Seventh avenue, Bangor, Frank, Green, Keystone, Joseph, Leng, Sophia, Transit, Water.
Absent from home --- house north side Fourth, between Bangor and Franks streets.
House northwest corner Fifth avenue and Bangor street not completed. Five houses found vacant, of which a note was made.
Population of Banks, and so much of Bangor twosnhip as has been taken, number 1,348 inhabitants; the number of names under the alphabet A, 20; B, 68; C, 43; D, 45; E, 3; F, 14; G, 33; H, 27; J, 19; K, 15; L, 45; M, 50; N, 16; O, 3; P, 40; R, 22; S, 45; T, 32; V, 11; W, 18; Y, 1; total number of names, 529; multiply this by 2-1/2, and it gives 1,323, a fair base for settled points.