Frederick Barclay (1841-1903)
Son of Jonathan S. & Sarah A. (Sweeney) Barclay, tug boat captain.
1883 Biography. - Added December, 2011.
History of Bay County, Michigan - 1883.
FRED W. BARKLAY
was born in Albion, Calhoun Co., Mich., October 19, 1841. In 1849 he came with his parents to Bay City. In 1860 he engaged in sailing, on the Saginaw River. In 1863 he entered the United States Navy as seaman, remaining until the close of the war, when he came to Bay City and engaged in the tug business, which he still continues. He was married in 1870 to Mary J. Plumsteel, of Clarkston, Mich., and has one child. His residence is on corner Third and Sherman Streets.
1903 obituary. - Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
The Bay City Press and Times – Feb. 28, 1903.
Death of Son of Bay City's Pioneer.
Captain Frederick W. Barclay died at his home 521 North Van Buren street, yesterday afternoon after a long illness.
Mr. Barclay was a son of the late Jonathan Barclay, who was a pioneer resident of the Saginaw valley, having come to Bay City in December, 1849 with a stock of goods for a country store, which was the second in this city.
The son was born in Albion county, October 19, 1841 and was therefore a boy of eight when his parents came to Bay City. When grown to manhood in 1860 he became a sailor, and in 1863 joined the United States navy as a seaman, remaining until honorably discharged at the close of the war. He returned to Bay City and took up the tug business, which he continued until a few years ago. In 1870 he was married to Mary J. Plumsteel, of Clarkston, Mich. And to this union one child was born.
1850 Census – Hampton Twp., Saginaw, Michigan.
- Barclay, S. L. - b. 1803, PA
- Sarah, wife – b. 1817, PA
- Frederick, son – b. 1842, MI
- Lyman, son – b. 1844, MI
- Helen, daughter – b. 1847, MI
- Others at this address: Margaret Corel (14yrs), Livermore (35yrs), George Canneth (50yrs)
1863 – History of Bay Co., Mich. (1905)
- Fred W. Barclay entered the navy, discharged in 1865.
1880 – Census: Bay City, Bay, Michigan.
- Barclay, Frederick E. - b. 1842, MI – Captain tug boat.
- Mary Jane, wife – b. 1846, Canada.
- Joseph F., son – b. 1872, OH.
1881/2 – Directory: Bay City, Michigan.
- Barclay, Frederick W., tug captain, res 207 Sherman.
- Barclay, Lyman, propr. Wolverton House, s w cor. Water and 3rd.
1900 – Census: Wisner Twp., Tuscola, Michigan.
- Barclay, Fredrick – b. Oct. 1841, MI
- Mary Jane, wife – b. Jan. 1846, Canada – married 1871
Barclay, Jonathan - parents
Local Civil War History
Barclay, Frederick (subject)
Barclay, Helen F. (sis)
Barclay, Jonathan (father)
Barclay, Joseph (son)
Barclay, Lyman (bro)
Plumsteel, Mary J (wife)
Sweeney, Sarah A. (mother)
Bay City, MI
Saginaw River, MI
Saginaw Valley, MI