Bay City's First High School (aka: Farragut High School).
Opened in 1869, On Faragut & Ninth Streets.
Graduating class of 1913.
Added Nov., 2012.
History of Bay County, Michigan – D.A. Bullock & Co., 1896.
The development of the school system in our Michigan cities has been quite uniform. In the early days, when the inhabitants were few, and the struggle for a livelihood hard, the course of study included little outside of more leisure for the cultivation of the mind, a demand for a more extended course arose. This demand made itself felt in Bay City in the early 60's, and in May, 1866, the board of education was instructed to purchase a high school site. Accordingly the block bounded by Ninth, Tenth, Grandt and Farragut streets was bought for $4400. In September, 1867, the contract for the high school building, a massive three story edifice, was let at $67,350, and on the sixth day of the following May, the corner stone was laid. The high school department was formally opened in April, 1869, but occupied only a part of the building, the remainder being given up to the lower grades. The rapidly increasing population, the excellence of the location for a ward school, and the undesirableness of having the more advanced and the younger pupils in the same building, let the board to select a new site for a separate school, which should be devoted exclusively to the higher grades. Accordingly the nucleus of the present high school building was erected in 1883, on Madison avenue, at the corner of Eleventh street. Since then additions have been made to the original structure whereby the original seating capacity has been doubled and the school provided with as fine a set of labratories as can be found in schools of like size in the country.
The property of the first high school purchased from Judge James Birney. The schools first principle was Prof. D.C. Scoville. The building was demolished in 1938 and replaced by a new one called Farragut grade school. This building still stands but is no longer used as a school building.