Albert William Black (1880-1947)
Born in Essexville, received law degress from Michigan State University.
Biography, 1912. - Added March, 2012.
History of Northern Michigan, Vol. 2, 1912
ALBERT W. BLACK.
An able and influential member of the legal fraternity, Albert W. Black of East Tawas, now serving as prosecuting attorney for Iosco county, is a man of talent and culture and is widely known as a public-spirited and progressive citizen, ever ready and willing to do his part in advancing and promoting the best interests of his community. A son of Albert W. and Ellen (Lucas) Black, he was born in Bay City, Michigan, November 21, 1880, and there acquired his common school and high school education.
A young man of distinctive energy and ambition, he early determined to fit himself for a professional career, and with that end in view entered the State Law School at Lansing, Michigan, and was there graduated with the class of 1904. Almost immediately after receiving his diploma Mr. Black was admitted to the bar, and in July 1904, located at East Tawas, where his legal knowledge and soon attracted the attention of the community, and his clientage grew with great rapidity, becoming extensive and remunerative.
As a representative of the high type of manhood and of the best American citizenship, Mr. Black takes a lively interest in all that goes to conserve the welfare of his home city and county, and never shirks the responsibilities that accompany public office. In 1907, 1908 and 1909 he served East Tawas as city attorney. For five years, from 1906 until 1910, inclusive, he was Circuit Court commissioner for Iosco county. Elected prosecuting attorney for the same county in November, 1910, Mr. Black assumed the duties of the position in January, 1911, and has since filled the office with marked ability, his wide research, broad powers of reasoning and his natural aptitude for legal work making him a most valuable and desirable man for the place. When the Iosco County Board of Trade was organized Mr. Black was one of its most enthusiastic promoters, and is now, in 1911, serving as its president. He is also a director of the Iosco Agricultural Society, and in its management takes much interest.
Prominent in the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Black has taken the thirty-second degress, Scottish Rite, and is a member of Baldwin Lodge No. 274, F. & A. M.; of the Consistory at Bay City; of Elf Khurafeh Temple, A. A O. N. M. S., at Saginaw; and of the Order of the Eastern Star. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of Pythias. He married, in 1907, Nina M., daughter of William J. Fox.
Obituary, 1947: Find-A-Grave, posted by Don Black.
The Bay City Times August 7, 1947.
A. W. Black
Attorney Had Been Ill Since Last Fall
Dies at Home
Albert W. Black, Bay City attorney, died this morning at 4:15 o'clok at his home, 615 Nurmi Court. Ill since last fall, he had been improving until two days ago. He was 66 years old.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete. Friends are requested to omit flowers. The body is at Hyatt's chapel.
Survivors are his widow, Nina; a daughter, Mrs. James L. Kavanagh; and two grandchildren, Julieanne and Mary Catherine, all of Bay City.
Born Nov. 21, 1880, in Essexville, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Black, he attended public elementary schools in Bay City.
Upon his family's removal to Lansing, he entered high school there, began the study at law and was admitted to the bar April 15, 1904.
His first practice was at East Tawas. During his 13-year stay there, he became city attorney, court commissioner, prosecuting attorney for three successive terms and a member of the Isoco county board of supervisors.
While still in East Tawas, he married the former Miss Nina M. Fox, of that city, Nov. 6, 1907.
Ten years later, in 1917, he returned to Bay City to become associated with John E. Kinnane, then U. S. district attorney. A member of the law firm of Kinnane, Black and Liebrand, he established his own practice in the 1920s.
A member of the Michigan National Guard, he was honorably discharge in 1906 as a Battalion Sergeant Major.
During World War 1, he served as a local Minuteman and held an outstanding record for patriotic activity.
In 1921, as a member of the Bay County Bar Association, he traveled to Europe with the American Bar Association Group.
City attorney for the city of Bay City for eight years (1932-40), he also served as chairman of the Bay County board of supervisors for a two-year term.
In national politics, he remained a staunch Republican all his life.
The Black residence, built in 1940, considered one of the city's finest homes.
His affiliation with civic organizations and clubs were numerous.
He was a former president and director of the Bay City Chamber of Commerce (1924), president of the Kiwanis Club, director of Bay City Samaritan Hospital, vice-president and director of the Automobile Club of Northern Michigan, president of the Bay County Bar Association (1930-32).
At one time, he held office the Farmer's State Bank of Kawkawlin as president, the Detroit and Mackinaw Railway as counsel, the Louis Drug Co. and Fletcher Oil Co. as director and stockholder, and the Northeastern Michigan Fair Association as director.
A member of the Trinity Episcopal Church, he was also a Thirty-second Degree Mason of the Scottish Rite and a member of the Elf Khurafeh Shine's N. O. O. M. S., and Jesters of Saginaw. He served as commander of the Thirty-third Degree Kodosh.
A member and attorney for the former Bay City Yacht Club, he belonged to the Bay City Country Club, the Rotary Club, Tri-county Sportsmen's Club, Owl Club, Army and Navy Club, and the Bay County, Michigan and American Bar Association. He was also a former national counselor for the United States Chamber of Commerce.
He held membership in Bay City Lodge 88, B. P. O. E. and was a member of its proud table group.
A captain's commission in the United States Army Reserve Corps, Judge Advocates Department, granted in 1925, was also his.
One of the most well-known of his civic activities was the furthering of the construction of the River Road (U.S. 23) between Saginaw and Bay City.
As alderman of the general committee of the two cities, he was instrumental in obtain acceptance of the Michigan State Highway Department for the project and its subsequent construction in 1925.
He held a state-wide reputation also as orator and speaker.
1900 Census: Bay City, Bay, Mich.
- Black, Andrew b. ?, Ireland married 1860.
- Sarah, wife b. Mar., 1833, Canada.
- Clara, daughter b. Dec., 1875, Canada.
- Albert, son b. Nov., 1881, Mich.
1910 Census: East Tawas, Iosco, Mich.
- Fox, William J. - age 55, Mass.
- Julia M., daughter age 30, Mich.
- Black, Nina M., daughter age 27, Mich.
- Black, Albert W., son-inlaw age 29, Mich.
1930 Census: Bay City, Bay, Mich.
- Black, Albert W. - b. 1882, Mich.
- Nina, wife b. 1883, Mich.
- Jean A., daughter (adopted) - b. 1921, Mich.
- Julia, sister-inlaw b. 1880, Mich.
|Notes & Related Items
Kinnane, John E.
Black, Andrew W.(father)
Black, Albert W. (subject)
Black, Clara (sis)
Black, Jean A. (dau)
Fox, Nina M. (wife)
Fox, Julia M. (s-inlaw)
Fox, William J. (f-inlaw)
Kavanagh, James L. (s-inlaw)
Kavanagh, Julieanne (g-dau.)
Kavanagh, Mary C. (g-dau.)
Kinnane, John E.
Lucas, Sarah (mother)
American Bar Assoc.
Army & Navy Club
Automobile Club of MI
Bay City, MI
Bay City Country Club
Bay City Rotary Club
Bay City Samaritan Hosp.
Bay City Yacht Club
Bay County, MI
Bay County Bar Asso.
Detroit & Mackinaw RR
East Tawas, MI
Farmer's State Bank, MI
Fletcher Oil Co.
Iosco County, MI
Iosco Co. Agricultural Soc.
Louis Drug Co.
Michigan National Guard
Northern MI Fair Assoc.
Tri-County Sportsmen Club
U.S. Army Reserve Corps
U.S. Chamber of Commerce