Campbell House (hotel)
Built in 1868, on the cor. of Water and Third streets, by George Campbell.
1875 - History of Bay City, Michigan Added Nov., 2010.
Bay City is comfortably provided with hotels, both as to number and quality. The Fraser House, a four-story brick, heads the list as the leading first-class house in the city. Its apartments are commodious and handsomely furnished, and its fair is of the best. The Campbell House comes next, a convenient three-story brick building, with a good number of well-appointed rooms, and everything in good style.
1883 - History of Bay County, Michigan Added Nov., 2010.
Mr. C. W. Gibson came to Bay City from Grand Blanc and opened a private bank, in a small room, in the Union House building, which was a frame structure and stood where the Campbell House now stands on Water Street.
F. A. Schlieper, of the firm of F. A. Schlieper & Co., druggist, 402 Center Street, succeeded C. C. Whitney & Co., in May, 1881. Mr. Schlieper came to Bay City from Vassar, Tuscola Co., in 1876, and in the Spring of 1881 went into business as above stated. His family consists of a wife and one child. Mrs. Schlieper is a daughter of Mr. Jay, proprietor of the Campbell House.
Page 137. (George Campbell)
In 1867 he commenced building the Campbell House, which was opened to the public in 1868. He remained proprietor of the house until 1878, part of the time running it himself. It has since passed into other hands.
He first worked as foreman for a large contracting firm which had made several contracts in Bay City, erecting the Campbell House and other large brick blocks.
1914 - The Book of Detroiters - Added Nov., 2010.
Page 546. (Harry J. Zeese)
Began active career as a bellboy at Campbell House, Bay City, Mich., 1889, continuing until 1891.
1917 - The Horseless Age, Vol. 41.
Page 50. (J. Elmer Pratt)
He became a lumberman, then a clerk in the Campbell House at Bay City.
1867 - Charles Herman Franz was on superintendent of building the Campbell House. [History of Mich., Vol. 2 (1915)]
1881 Directory: Bay City, Mich. (Campbell House Employees)
Campbell House C A Jay Propr., cor 3d and Water.
Cavanaugh, Carrie - waitress
Douglas, James - saloon
Free, Lens - cook
Hewitt, Mary waitress
Jackson, Mrs. Mary domestic
Jay, Adrian clerk
Jay, Charles A. - Propr.
Jennerson, A. H. - clerk
Hallingan, Frances - domestic
Mayberry, Margaret domestic
McKinnon, Margaret cook
Page, Bessie - domestic
Pratt, J. E. - yardman
Smith, Lydia domestic
Williams, Arthur - bellboy
1893 Directory: Bay City, Mich.
New Campbell The, J. G. Buschanan Propr., N. Water s e cor 3d.
1915 - Michigan Alumnus, Vol 9.
On March 9the, the Michigan alumni of Bay City and West Bay City, held a meeting at the New Campbell House, and completed the organization of new local association.
Pic ad Marble House Restaurant in temp file.
Frantz, Charles H.
Jackson, Mary Mrs.
Jay, Charles A.
Zeese, Harry J
Bay City, MI
Bay Co., MI
C.C. Whitney & Co.
Grand Blanc, MI
Saginaw Co., MI
Tuscola Co., MI
West Bay City, MI