Directory of Bay City, Portsmouth, Wenona and Bangor, for 1868-9.
JENNISON & ROUSE'S MILL. ______
Water Street, between Eighth and Ninth Streets.
This venerable pile lays claim to some antiquity, being the oldest mill in Bay City; it was built in 1846 by Catlin & Fraser, and consequently is of old age, being 21 years a mill. The young men of today who have reached their majority, were then the babes unborn, of innocent reputation . The original owners ran it successfully for seven years. Mr. Jennison then bought out Mr. Fraser's interests in it, and associated himself with Mr. Catlin; then continued together until 1866, when Mr. Catlin sold out to Mr. Rouse, one of the present proprietors. Its orginal capacity was about 6,000 feet daily. Catlin & Jennison in 1864, increased this to 30,000 at which it remains. Last season of seven months, it cut 4,300,000. It has one circular and one upright saw, giving 25 men employment.
The timber is procured on the borders of the Rifle and Pine, especially Pine.
History of Bay County, Mich. - 1883
The mill was destroyed by fire before 1882.
History of Bay County, Mich - 1905
(page 155) The Rouse mill was built by J.M. Rouse in 1870-71. In January, 1878, his sons -- E.F. Rouse and William B. (the latter now village president), took charge of the mill, which then cut 12,000 feet of lumber annually.
1868/9 – Directory: Bay City, Mich.
Catlin, Israel - (Arnold & Catlin), h 124 Eighth.
Jennison, Chas. E. - stoves and tinware, h Center, cor. Washington.