Raymond & Watson Mill (Established 1851)
Location: North Water corner of First.
1864 - James Shearer & Co.
History as 1869. - Added Nov., 2010.
Directory of Bay City, Portsmouth, Wenona and Bangor, for 1868-9.
JAMES SHEARER & CO.'S MILL. ______
Water, North of First Street
The history of this mill dates its first chapter to Trenton, where it was reared and ran a few years, until its owner arrived at years of discretion, in 1851, when he moved toBay City, where his mill followed him, on board a schooner, arriving all right, after a good run. Mr. Raymond, associated with Mr. Jas. Watson planted it where it now stands, and run it for several years, when Mr. Watson left it. The original proprietor continued to run it until the Spring of 1864 when he then sold it to its present owners, who added to its old power another engine, and by putting in a gang, raised its capacity to 9,000,000 feet per season. It gives employment to 42 hands. The lath manufactured in this mill is quite an item in its productions, averaging 2,225,000 annually. It contains two engines, gang, an upright saw, and a circular of 6 feet in diameter.
Mr. George Shearer, of the firm of James Shearer & Co., advertises two very useful, labor-saving, and therefore money making patents, which are well worthy the attention of mill owners; indeed they have only to become generally known to become generally used.
The Hoop and Lath Sawing Machine.
Is in its productive powers, far ahead of the old methods; the old plan of lath making, does well from 8,000 to 10,000 a day can be made by it, whereas Mr. Shearer's patent, 5,300 have been cut in an hour and ten minutes, with three saws. On one occasion it cut 139,358 in a week – with two saws, but its daily capacity averages 53,220 – thus more than tripling that of the method still commonly used; Sage & Co., Folsom & Arnold, J. McCormick, Ballou & Co., have it, and several have been shipped to other plants. Mr. Charles Garrison, of East Saginaw, also uses it.
The Log Canting Machine.
Is a very simple, but ingenious labor-saving apparatus, which improves the capacity of a mill by shifting the log quickly into its various positions during the operation of cutting, and dispensing with the services of the hands usually employed to stand by and cant it when required; it consists of a series of shafts which are attached to a main shaft, running along the under part of the second floor, and which are made to slide up beside the log by means of a lever. It must be seen to be appreciated.
1868/9 – Directory.
Shearer James & Co. - Lumber Manufacturers and Dealers, N. Water, cor. First.
Shearer, George – (James Shearer & Co.), h N. Saginaw, cor. First.
Shearer, James – (James Shearer & Co.), h Fourth, cor. Water.
Shearer, John W. (James Shearer & Co.), h 406 N. Monroe.
Sage, Henry W.
Ballou & Co.
Bay City, MI
East Saginaw, MI
Folsom & Arnold Co.
Raymond & Watson Mill
James Shearer & Co.
Lower Saginaw, MI
Sage & Co.
Lumbering: Circular saw