Charles Wingate Cate (1837-?)
Born in Monroe Co., N.Y., with Michigan Central Railroad in Bay City.
1883 biography. - Added Oct., 2010.
History of Bay County, Michigan - 1883
CHARLES WINDGATE CATE.
Charles W. Cate was born Monroe County, N. Y., November 4, 1837. Twenty years later he went to Rochester, N. Y., and assumed the position of book-keeper for the Flower City Bank. In 1858 he engaged in the nursery business, which he carried on for six years. He then removed to Milford, Mich., and resumed the same business. In 1867 he came to Bay City, after selling out his Milford business, and engaged with Supe & Rhademaker as book-keeper. He was shortly afterward put on the Michigan Central Railroad as conductor, which position he still retains. In 1875 he was married to Mary J. Condon, of Bay City, and has a family of three children. His residence is No. 1018 Monroe Street.
Family genealogy. - Added Oct., 2010.
The Kelloggs in the Old World and the New, Vol. 2, 1903.
HANNAH MARRILLA, dau. of Reuben, b. in Whitestown, N.Y., 3 Nov., 1807; m. in Chili, N.Y., 27 Oct. 1830, Franklin Cate, b. in Barrington, N.H., 7 Feb., 1807, son of Richard Cate, b. in Barrington, 2 Feb., 1768, and Mary Rand, of Rye, N.Y., b. about 1758.
He d. 22 Nov., 1881, she d. in Ann Arbor, Mich., 14 Dec., 1884.
He was a farmer; removed with his parents to Chili, 1825; was Supervisor of the township for many years; remain in 1860 to Michigan, where he died.
Children, b. in North Chili, N.Y.
- Rufus Cate, b. 11 Sept., 1831; d. in Detroit Mich., 7 Oct. 1897.
- Charles Wingate Cate, b. 12 Oct., 1833; d. 23 May 1835.
- Emily Gillette Cate, b. 27 Oct. 1835; m. 25 Nov., 1857, Julius Almerin Wilcox, b. 21 Oct., 1833, son of John Edwin Wilcox, b. 4 Mar., 1812, and Elizabeth Smith, b. 10 July, 1813; she died in Bankcroft, Mich., 7 Jun., 1887; he m. (2) sister, Minerva; res. in Bankcroft.
- Charles Wingate Cate, b. 24 Nov., 1837; m. in Bay City, Mich., 18 May, 1875, Jane Isabel Condon, dau. of John Condon, b. 18 July, 1832, and Catherine Miller, b. 25 Oct., 1834; res. In Duluth, Minn.
- Mary L. Cate, b. 30 Sept., 1839; m. in Green Oak, Mich., 13 Nov., 1862, Eldad Reynolds Field, b. 12 Nov., 1837, son of Eldad Spencer Field and Betsey ?; res. in Whitmore Lake, Mich.
- Lyman Cate, b. 24 Dec., 1841; m. in Highland, Mich., 15 Dec., 1868, Fanny Watkins, b. in Milford, Mich., 13 Apr., 1843, dau. Of James Watkins, b. 4 Aug., 1810, and Catherine Taylor, b. 20 Nov., 1819, res in Milford.
- Minerva Cate, b. 22 Sept., 1844; m. in Pontiac, Mich., 1 June, 1888, Julius Almerin Wilcox, who had previously married her sister, Emily G.; res in Bancroft; d. 22 Nov., 1890.
- Fidelia Cate, b. 30 Jun., 1847; m. in Highland, 2 Dec., 1868, William Kilton Childs, b. 12 July, 1847, son of Aaron Childs, b. in Henniker, N.H., 2 Dec., 1800, and Hannah Frost Bemus, b. in Windham, Vt., 9 July, 1808; res in Ann Arbor.
1865 – History of Livingston County, Mich. (1880)
- Charles W. Cate, Green Oak, enlisted April 18, 1865, Company E, Eleventh Michigan Cavalry; mustered out Sept. 22, 1865. (May a different Cate?)
1875 – Michigan Marriages: Bay City.
- Date: Sept. 18, 1875.
- Groom: Charles W. Cate – b. 1842 Monroe Co. N.Y.
- Bride: Mary Jane Condon – b. 1856 Madison, N.Y.
- Official: Rev. Schultz, Episcopal church.
- Witnesses: Mrs. G. P. Schultz and Henry Pumpey.
1880 – Cenus: Bay City, Mich.
- Cate, Charles – b. 1835 Mich., conductor
- Mary, wife – b.
- Nelly, daughter – b.
- Mabel, daughter – b.
1881 – Michigan Births: Bay City.
- Charles Cates born April 11, 1881, son of Charles and Mary Cates.
1885 – Michigan Births: Bay City.
- Henry L. Cate born Jan. 28, 1885, son of Charles W. and Mary J. Cate.
1887 – Directory: Bay City, Mich.
- Cate, Charles W. - conductor MCRR, res 513 Monroe.
1900 – Census: Duluth City, St. Louis, Minn. (6th Avenue West)
- Cate, Charles W., b. Nov. 1837 N.Y., Deputy collector
- Mary J., wife, b. Apr. 1856 N.Y.
- Nellie S., daughter, b. Mar. 1877 Mich., teacher
- Charles W. Jr., son, b. Apr. 1881, Mich., salesman hardware
1920 – Census: St Louis, Minn.
- Cate, Charles W. Jr., b. 1882, Mich., son of Mary J. Cate.
- Kathryn, wife
- Carolyn W., daughter
- Marion L.,
None at this time.
Bemus, Hannah F.
Cate, Carolyn (g-dau)
Cate, Charles W. (subject)
Cate, Emily G. (sis)
Cate, Fidelia (sis)
Cate, Franklin (father)
Cate, Henry L. (son)
Cate, Kathryn (g-dau)
Cate, Lyman (bro)
Cate, Mabel (dau)
Cate, Marion (g-son)
Cate, Mary L. (sis)
Cate, Minerva (sis)
Cate, Nellie (dau)
Cate, Richard (g-father)
Cate, Rufus (bro.)
Childs, William K.
Condon, Mary J.
Aka: Jane Isabel Condon
Field, Eldad R.
Field, Eldad S.
Schultz, G.P. Mrs.
Wilcox, John E.
Wilcox, Julius A.
11th Mich. Cav.
Ann Arbor, MI
Bay City, MI
Flower City Bank
Green Oak, MI
Michigan Centrl RR
Monroe Co., NY
Supe & Rhademaker
Whitmore Lake, MI