William Catlin (1817-1865)
Native of New York, early settler of Lower Saginaw (Bay City), MI.
Biography, he and Irael Catlin were brothers. (Added Jan., 2009)
History of the Lake Huron Shore, 1883, H.R. Page, Chicago, IL Bay County
William Catlin, deceased, was born February 26, 1817, in the town of Catharine, and what was then Chemung County, N. Y., and in May, 1849, he, with his family, started for Lower Saginaw, (as it was then called), Mich. They came by water to Detroit, expecting to take a boat at that place and come the rest of the way,
but after waiting a few days, decided to take the cars, which only brought them eighteen miles, when they took the stage as far as Pontiac, where they hired a private conveyance to bring themó through to Upper Saginaw, the roads being so rough the men were obliged frequently to lift the wagon wheels out of the ruts to get along at all. Upon arriving at that place they made their way to a hotel kept by Mr. Jewett, where they remained a day or two, when they again proceeded on their journey, taking passage on the first steamboat running on the Saginaw River and that as yet unfinished. Upon arriving at their place of destination they were met by his brother, Israel Catlin, and were taken to his home, where they enjoyed a good rest after a tiresome journey, and as soon as a house could be got in readiness, moved into a home of their own, situated where the Munger Block now stands. Mr. Catlin being a good sawyer, he soon found employment in a mill owned by Hopkins & Co., and afterwards worked in a mill at Portsmouth, for McCormick & Miller. But himself and family were sick a greater part of the time, and after remaining a little over a year, at the earnest solicitation of friends East, they returned to their former home in the state of New York. After the war broke out he, like thousands of other loyal men, felt it his duty to take up arms in deference of his country, and enlisted in Company A, Fifth Regiment, New York Volunteers, was wounded in battle and went home, remaining with his family several weeks, when being so much improved, he returned to the hospital in Annapolis, Md., but after a few weeks was taken sick with pneumonia, and died January 18, 1865.
In 1872, his widow, with her children, came to Bay City, where they now reside, with the exception of her daughter, wife ofW. W. Hodgkins, who died August 24, 1882.