Herbert L. Cook (1853-1930)
1930 Obituary. - Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx - Mar. 2008.
First mail carrier of Lower Saginaw (Bay City).
Bay City Times - Wednesday, March 12, 1930 (Page 11)
COOK, PIONEER BAY CITY
He Was First Mail Carrier of
MAN DIES IN LANSING
What Was Once Lower Saginaw
Herbert L. Cook, 77, for 63 years a resident of Bay City, and the first mail carrier of what was then known as Lower Saginaw, died at home in Lansing yesterday afternoon at 4 p. m. He was a captain in the first Volunteer Fire Company to be organized in 1875 and in 1881 was chosen secretary of this department. He was also a member of the first local orchestra that was organized. He was married in 1877 to Miss Louise Wolcott and upon her death; married Miss Elizabeth Wolcott. He is survived by one son, R. K. Cook, of Lansing, one daughter, Mrs. Bessie Smith, of Lansing, one brother, Robert Roblin, of Owosso, and six grandchildren. Funeral services will be held from the Van Tyle Funeral Parlors Thursday afternoon. Burial will be in the Oak Ridge cemetery.
Brother William - Added March, 2011.
History of Bay County, Michigan - 1883
William Cook, son of Thomas Cook, was born in West Bay City, April 27, 1859. At an early age he was employed in H. W. Sage & Co.'s mill where he still remains, having been with the firm fourteen years. Mr. Cook has the care of a widowed mother and her family on his hands and has never married. He resides on Henry Street, West Bay City.
1883 - Directory: Bay City, Mich.
- Cook, Herbert L. - machine hand, res w s Henry 3 s of John, 2d ward.
1888 - Michigan Marriages: West Bay City.
- Date: March 4, 1888.
- Groom: Herbert L. Cook, b. 1854, St. Clair, Mich., son of Thomas Cook and Mary Underhill.
- Bride: Libbie Wolcott, b. 1867 N.Y., daughter of Ezra Wolcott and Harriet Parsons.
- Official: L. W. Chapman, clergyman.
- Witnesses: Mrs. Catharine Shean and Jefferson Wakefield.
1891 - Directory: West Bay City, Mich.
- Cook, Herbert L. - carpenter, bds Ezra Wolcott.
- Wolcott, Ezra - teamster, res s s Hart 1 e of Au Sable State road, 2d ward.
1900 - Census: West Bay City, Bay, Mich.
- Cook, Herbert - b. Sep., 1853, Mich.
- Elizabeth, wife - b. Apr., 1865, Mich. - married 1888.
- Bessie, daughter - b. Mar., 1889, Mich.
- Ralph, son - b. 1892, Mich.
|Related Note & Pages
None at this time.
Chapman, L.W. Rev.
Cook, Herbert L.
Cook, Bessie (dau)
Cook, R.K. (son)
Cook, Robert R. (bro.)
Cook, William (bro.)
Cook, Thomas (father)
Shean, Catharine Mrs.
Underhill, Mary (mother)
Van Tyle, Mr.
Wolcott, Elizabeth (2nd wife)
Wolcott, Louise (1st wife)
Bay City, MI
H.W. Sage Mill
Lower Saginaw, MI
Oak Ridge Cemetery
St. Clair, MI
Van Tyle Funeral Parlors
Volunteer fire co.
West Bay City, MI