Heritage \ Writings \

Phillip C. Floeter (1849-?)
Born in Ontario, Canada, successful architect business in Bay City, MI.

1892 biography. (Added Nov., 2008)

Portrait & Biographical Record of Saginaw and Bay Counties, Michigan, 1892

PHILLIP C. FLOETER.
________

This genial and cultured gentlemen has a high standing in Bay City as an architect and superintendent of buildings, and has built up for himself a fine business which is well sustained by his practical knowledge and experience. He was born in Chatham, County Kent, Ontario, Canada, June 22, 1849, and is a son of Robert, whose father, Frederick, was born in Prussia, and was a soldier in the German Army during the Napoleonic Wars, and the Crimean War, and later entered the English army, serving in the Commissary Department. He afterward came to Canada and engaged in operating flouring and wooden mills at Chatham.

The father of our subject was a contractor and builder and in 1865 came to Bay City, and afterward spend several years in Flint, but finally returned to Chatham where he now resides. He was a Deacon, in the Baptist Church, and a man of sterling character. His good wife, Elmira, is a daughter of Philip Claus, a Pennsylvanian by birth, who is a farmer in Chatham. Our subject had one one brother and one sister, namely, Robert, who is a manufacturer at Chatham, and Jennie, who has passed from this life.

Young Floeter was reared in Chatham, and after studying in the city schools worked at his trade as a builder, and when past fourteen years of age he traveled in different places and in 1863 came to the United States, and for eighteen years followed building in nearly all of the Western States, and for two and a half years was foreman in the Pullman Car Works. In 1881 he came to Bay City, and taking up architecture entered in partnership with E. W. Arnold & Co. This firm continued until 1885, when it dissolved, and the firm of P. C. Floeter & Co., was formed, Mr. Kaufman being the partner in this concern; but in 1889, our subject bought out that gentleman's interest, and has since been carrying on the business alone.

Among the notable buildings which have been designed and erected under the supervision of Mr. Floeter are the Griswold Building, the Methodists Episcopal Church, Harmon & Verner's Business Block, and the fine private residence of Dr. Vaughan, Joseph Eastwood, and others. At East Saginaw he put up St. Paul's Church, also the large Mortuary Vault, Chapel and Conservatory, and he rebuilt St. John's Church, with its guild house and rectory at Saginaw City, also the Court Street Methodists Church at Flint, Grace Episcopal Church at Port Huron, the Masonic Temple at Ludington, and the famous Wright House and sanitarium at Alma. The work-shops built for the Detroit, Lansing and Northern Railroad at Ionia at a cost of $175,000, and the large railroad depot at Claire are from his design, and erected under his supervision, as were also thirteen railroad depots on the Cincinnati, Saginaw & Mackinaw Railroad and many other public and private edifices in the State, and adjoining States.

The marriage of this prominent gentleman took place in Chatham, Canada, and his bride was Miss Mary Lewis who was a native of that place. To them have been born three interesting children, to whom they have given the names of Fred, Grace, and Wave. Mrs. Floeter is a prominent and active member of the Baptist Church of Bay City, and a lady who has a wide social influence. The political views of our subject are independent, and yet he inclines to the doctrines of the Democratic part. The Knights Templar recognize him as one of their most valuable members, and in all social circles he is esteemed as a leader.

Additional Notes:

  • 1880 Census - Detroit, MI:
    - Phillip C. Floeter, b. 1849, Canada, carpenter.
  • 1896 Bay City Directory.
    - P. C. Floeter, res. 1007 N. Grant.
    - P. C. Floeter & Co., Architects, No. 8 Central Block, Cor. Center and Washington Sts. Associates: P. C. Floeter & Wm. Kauffman.
  • Phillip C. Floeter, Bay City, MI, patent for Automatic car-stopper for drawbridges. (Annual Report Commissioner of Patents, 1897)
  • Trinity Episcopal Church, Bay City, MI was designed by Phillip C. Floeter, and completed in 1897.
  • Fred S. Floeter (b. 1874), son, married Anna Delaney (b. 1877), May 16, 1900, at Bay City, MI. (LDS Family Search)
Related Note & Pages

None at this time.
People Referenced

Arnold, E. W.
Claus, Elmira (mother)
Delaney, Anna
Eastwood, Joseph
Kauffman, William
Claus, Philip
Floeter, Fred S. (son)
Floeter, Frederick (father)
Floeter, Grace (dau.)
Floeter, Jennie (sister)
Floeter, Phillip C. (subject)
Floeter, Robert (bro.)
Floeter, Wave (dau/son?)
Lewis, Mary (wife)
Vaughn, Dr.
Subjects Referenced
Alma, MI:
- Wright House
Bay City, MI:
- Baptist church
- Central block
- E.W. Arnold & Co.
- Griswold building
- Harmon & Verner block
- Methodist Epis. Church
- P.C. Floeter & Co.
- Trinity Episcopal Ch.
Canada:
- Baptist church
- Chatham, Co. Kent
- Ontario
Cinn., Sag., Mackinaw RR
East Saginaw, MI:
- St. John's Church
- St. Paul's Church
English army
Det., Lansing, Northern RR.
Flint, MI:
- Court St. Methodist
Ionia, MI
Ludington, MI:
- Mason Temple
Pennsylvania
Port Huron, MI:
- Grace Episcopal Ch.
Prussia:
- Crimean war
- German army
- Napoleonic wars
Pullman Car Works
Saginaw, MI
WRITINGS: History As It Was Written Then.