Wright Gregory (1869-?)
Owner of Wright Gregory Monument Co., Bay City, MI
Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx - Mar. 2008.
History of Michigan, Volume IV (1915)
By Charles Moore -- Lewis Publishing Company
Wright Gregory, a successful Bay City business man, proprietor of the largest marble and general monumental work in that part of the state. Wright Gregory came to America a poor young man and by a combination of exceptional skill as a workman, industry and good judgment has laid the foundation of a substantial prosperity.
Wright Gregory was born in the famous manufacturing city of Sheffield, England, February 23,1869. His parentsDavid and Mary (Charles
Worth) Gregory, who lived and died in Sheffield were of the industrious and thrifty English stock. His father for many years was connected with the Brown Steel Works at Sheffield, and held the position of superintendent. There were two sons in the family and Rev. John W. Gregory is pastor of a Wesleyan Methodist church at Glasgow, Scotland.
The education of Wright Gregory was continued through the schools of Sheffield until he was sixteen years old. He then began an apprenticeship to the trade of machinist under his father at the Brown Steel Works. However, not being satisfied with the prospects there, two years later he came to America and located in Detroit where he began learning the trade of marble cutting with Frank W. Peel, who had his work at the Woodmere Cemetery. Two years later he moved to Ann Arbor, and followed his trade there a year and a half. Early in experience he showed not only the skill of a good cutter, but the originality of a creative artist, and this quickly brought him the highest wages of his trade, and opened the way for independent advancement. In 1892 Mr. Gregory came to Bay City and took charge of the monument business of Beard & Son, with whom he remained a year and then started for himself, establishing a plant on the west side. His monumental works were conducted successfully there for fifteen years. In 1906 Mr. Gregory bought a suitable location opposite Elm Lawn cemetery, erected commodious shops which are equipped with electrical power and tools and all the other facilities for the best of workmanship. Since locating at Elm Lawn he has abandoned his west side establishment altogether. Mr. Gregory now has what is conceded to be the largest business of its kind in Bay City. Besides his large mechanical equipment he requires the services of four expert workmen to keep up with his orders, and has two traveling representatives in the field. Outside of Bay City, his orders come largely from the city of Alpena, and others in the northern territory, but his shipments are by no means confined to Michigan. Locally , perhaps the best known examples of his work are the monuments forCongressman R.O. Crump in Elm Lawn, costing fifteen hundred dollars; the Henry Vallez monument to the memory of his wife, erected in St. Patrick’s Cemetery, at a cost of nearly two thousand dollars; and the splendid monument over Dr. D. E. Stone at Elmwood.
Mr. Gregory belongs to the Episcopal church, is a Royal Arch Mason and a Republican in politics. In July ,1892 , he marriedMiss Anna McGuire, a native of Jackson, Michigan, and a daughter of Frank McGuire, Mr. Gregory has no children, but to a adopted son, a cousin. David Gregory, he has given all the advantages which he would have afforded a son of his own, and this adopted son is now a student in the Bay City high school.
Related Note & Pages
Related Pages: None at this time.
Crump, R.O. Hon.
Gregory, David (father)
Gregory, David (adopted son)
Gregory, John Rev. (bro.)
McGuire, Anna (wife)
Peel, Frank W.
Stone, D.E. Dr.
Worth, Mary (mother)
Ann Arbor, MI
Bay City, MI
Beard & Son
Brown Steel Works
Elm Lawn Cemetery
Elm Wood Cemetery
St. Patrick's Cemetery