James S. Hogle (1850-1907)
Son of James W. & Mary Dixon. Engaged in grocery business in Bay City.
1883 biography. - Added May, 2010.
History of Bay County, Michigan - 1883
JAMES S. HOGLE.
James S. Hogle was born in the state of Ohio, May 18, 1850. He came to Michigan in 1864 with his parents, and settled in the town of Portsmouth, Bay County. In 1866 his father engaged in the dairy business and ran the first milk wagon in Bay City. In 1872 he purchased the Tuscola Plank Road, and in 1876 paid the debt of Nature, leaving James S. to conduct the business interests of the family. He, in 1882, engaged in the grocery business on Center Street, Where he is still located. He was married in 1872 to Lillie Gordon, of New Albany, Ind. Residence, corner Grant and Sixth Streets.
- James S. Hogle died in 1907 and burial was at Pine Ridge Cemetery, where his parent are also buried.
1850 – Descendants of Col. John Gordon.
- Lilliea Gordon was born 21 May 1850, at Salem, Washington Co., Ind.; and died at age 70 years at ?Detroit, Wayne Co., Mich.
She married on 31 August at New Albany, Floyd Co., Ind., James Sylvester Sylvester Hogle, was born 18 May 1850 at Bainbridge Twp., Geauga Co., Ohio; and died 1907 at Detroit, Wayne Co., Mich at age of 56 years; son of James W. Hogle and Mary L. Dixon.
Buried 1st at Pine Ridge Cemetery, Bay City, Bay Co., Mich. First residence New Albany Township, Floyd Co., Ind. Second residence Bay City, Bay Co., Mich. Third residence Detroit, Wayne Co., Mich.
Children were as follows:
- Warren Gordon Hogle, was born 14 Aug. 1873; married Ethel Berkey.
- Mary L. Hogle, was born March 1874, at Bay City and died at age 56 years, buried at Pine Ridge Cem.. She married 18 Feb. 1908, at Bay City to George William Ames (born Oct. 1853, died 1931.)
- Roberta Hogle, was born June 1879, in Detroit, and died 1939, buried at Bay City. (Pine Ridge Cem.)
- James Sylvester Hogle, was born 26 May 1883 in Bay City, and died 24 Sep. 1884 of whopping cough, buried Pine Ridge Cemetery
- Lillia Gordon Hogle Scott, was born 10 Nov. 1886, in Bay City, and died abt. 1920 (married after 1910).
- John Emerson Hogle, was born 18 Sep. 1891, and died 3 Nov. 1981, and married abt. 1912, a Marie G. ?
1877 – Bay County Marriages: Bay City.
- James S. Hogle was witness with Mrs. Crum, on 17 Dec 1877, for marriage of Hugh Allen Innes and Ada Augusta Jerc.
1883 – Michigan Births/Deaths: Bay City.
- Hogle, James S., born 26 May 1883, to James and Lillian Hogle. He died 24 Sep 1884.
1886 – Michigan Births: Bay City.
- Lillica Gordon Hogle, born 7 Nov 1886, to James S. & Lillica Hogle.
1892 – Michigan Marriages: Bay City.
- Date: June 17, 1892.
- Groom: Warren G. Hogle, age 19, of Bay City, son of James S. Hogle & Lillie Gordon.
- Bride: Ethel Berkey, age 17, of Salem, Ind., daughter of Fred Berkey & Josephine Gordon.
- Official: M. Ready, justice of peace.
Witnesses: Fred N. Berkey & Mrs. Wm. Schweinle
1893 – Directory: Bay City, Mich.
- Hogle, James S., trav agt, res 1833 6th.
- Hogle, Miss Mamie L, stengr J L Stoddard, bds 1833 6th.
|Related Note & Pages
Ames, Geo. W.
Hogle, James W. father
Pine Ridge Cemetery
Ames, George W.
Berkey, Fred N.
Dixon, Mary L. (mother)*
Gordon, Lillie (wife)*
Hogle, James S. (subject)*
Hogle, James S. Jr. (son)*
Hogle, James W. (father)*
Hogle, John E. (son)
Hogle, Lillia G. (dau)
Hogle, Mary L. (dau)*
-- aka. Mamie.
Hogle, Roberta (dau)*
Hogle, Warren G. (son)
Innes, Hugh A.
jerc, Ada A.
Schweinle, Wm. Mrs.
* buried Pine Ridge Cemetery
Bainbridge Twp, OH
Bay City, MI
Bay County, MI
Floyd Co., IN
Geauga Co. Ohio
New Albany, IN
Pine Ridge Cemetery
Tuscola plank road
Wayne Co., MI