Judge John Hyde (1843-?)
Native Ireland, settled in Bay City, where he practiced law.
1878 biography. Added Oct.., 2009.
American Biographical History of Eminent and Self-made Men,
By F. A. Barnard, 1878
JUDGE JOHN HYDE
Hyde, Judge John, of Bay City, Michigan, was born in Cork, Ireland, June 27, 1838. He was the son of John and Ann (Perrott) Hyde. His father, a cooper by trade, died in 1843, and left the family without much means. Mr. Hyde attended the Christian Brother's School, and the private schools of Mr. Cottee and Mr. Troolig, in Cork, until he was twelve years old. In 1853 he became a member of the Catholic Young Men's Society, in Cork; attended all its lectures and literary exercises; and connected himself with several of the classes maintained in the institution for the improvement of its members. He also took par in most of the readings and debates of the literary club of the society.
At an early age, he was apprenticed to his father's trade; and, in 1857, he went to London, where he worked as a mechanic until the autumn of 1858. In 1862 he sailed for Canada, with his mother. They visited, for a few weeks, his maternal uncle, residing in Montreal; and then accepted an invitation from a cousin, who was Sheriff of Bay County, to visit Michigan. The lumber and salt interests of the Saginaw Valley, at that time, gave assurance of a promising future for Bay City, and Mr. Hyde determined to make that place his home.
He was employed at his trade one year, and then served as a clerk in a dry-goods store, until 1867. In that year on the invitation of Hon. Isaac Marston, -- now Associate-Justice of the Supreme Court of the State, -- he entered the law office of Marston & Hatch, and studied law under their tuition. In 1869 he was admitted to the bar in the Circuit Court for Bay County. From 1870 to 1874, he was in partnership with Hon. A. C. Maxwell; and, from 1874 to 1876, with Fatio Colt, under the firm name of Hyde & Colt.
In 1867 Mr. Hyde was elected a member of the Board of Education of Bay City. In 1870 he was nominated for Alderman of the Fourth Ward, on the Democratic ticket, in opposition to the Hon. James Birney, -- now United States Minister at the Hague. The ward was strongly Republican, but he was defeated by only one vote. In 1874-75 he was Supervisor of the Fourth Ward. In 1876 he was elected Judge of the Probate Court by a majority of two hundred.
Mr. Hyde is a Roman Catholic. He married February 22, 1870, Annie M. Norris, of Kingston, Canada. His success, which as places him among the prominent men of Bay City, may be attributed to his strong will, great ability, and untiring energy.
1883 history. Added Oct., 2009.
History of Bay County, Michigan, 1883
The Catholic Chronicle was started in April, 1882, by its present proprietors, John Hyde and J. W. S. Norris. The paper is ably edited and has a wide circulation. Mr. Hyde is a lawyer by profession and a native of Cork, Ireland. He emigrated to this country in 1862, and settled in Bay City. He was judge of probate for the county one term, and practiced law until the Spring of 1882, since which time he has devoted himself to editorial labor. Mr. Norris is a native of Canada, and has been a resident of Bay City since 1868.
- 1867-8 – Bay City Directory
- Hyde, John, clerk, h 224 S. Monroe.
- 1870 – John Hyde, born 1839, Ireland, marriage to Ann Mary Norris, on Feb. 22, 1870, in Bay City, Mich. [Michigan Marriages]
- 1870 – Census, Bay City, Mich.
- Hyde, John, age 31, lawyer, Ireland
- Hyde, Anna, age 21, keeping house, Ireland
- Hyde, Anna, age 66, without occupation, Ireland (mother)
- 1871-2 Bay City Directory:
- Hyde, Mrs. Ann, wid, home with J Hyde
- Hyde, John, atty, res 1226 s Adams
- 1880 – Census, Bay City, Mich.
- Hyde, John, born 1837, Ireland, probate judge
- Hyde, Annie M, wife
- Hyde, Anna, mother
- 1881 – The history of the Lewis Manufacturing Company began in 1881, when John W. Hyde and William H. Trombley moved a lumber-planing mill from nearby Kawkawlin to Water and Twelfth Streets in Bay City, where they began manufacturing sashes, doors and blinds. George H. Merrill and William M. Campbell took over the mill in 1883. [The House that Lewis Built, by Sally Linvill Bund & Robert Schweitzer] (This may or not be the same John Hyde?)
- 1884 - Advertisement in Edwin Alden & Bro's American Newspaper Catalogue,
The Catholic Chronicle.
Edited by John Hyde.
Published every Saturday at the Office, Watson Block, Bay City, Mich.
THE CATHOLIC CHRONICLE is the only Catholic paper published in the Diocese of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
It circulates throughout the entire State of Michigan and the neighboring States of Ohio, Wisconsin and Illinois, and also in the Province of Ontario.
It holds a High Rank among the Catholic Weeklies of the United States.
Subscription, $2.00 per Year, in Advance.
- 1886 – 1888 Bay City Directory:
- Hyde, John, lawyer, 5 McDermott block, res 220 Adams
- 1889-90 Directors, Bay City, West Bay City, Essexville:
No Hyde listed.
None at this time.
Hyde, John (subject)
Hyde, John Sr. (father)
Merrill, George H
Norris, Annie M (wife)
Perrott, Ann (mother)
Trombley, William M.
Bay City, MI
Bay Co., MI
Catholic Young Mens Soc.
Christian Bros. Sch.
Grand Rapids, MI
Marston & Hatch
Saginaw Valley, MI