Jones Clinic (1916)
Newspaper article describing its construction.
Contributed by Alan Flood (August 2005)
The Bay City Times Tribune -- Saturday, October 28, 1916 (Page 11)
CONTRACTORS ARE NEARLY THROUGH ON JONES' CLINIC
New Office Building for Physician is Model of Convenience.
Contractors are putting the finishing touches on the new Jonesí Clinic building, being erected for Dr. J. M. Jones, at the northeast corner of Jackson street and Fifth avenue.
The building covers a space of 46 x 65 feet
exclusive of approaches and is thoroughly fireproof in every respect. The construction is of hollow terra-cotta tile with brown velvet vitrified brick facing and a roof of gravel composition. The building is one story in height with a high basement which makes it practically a two story building.
The building will be heated by steam. A large skylight gives ample light in the corridors and stairway leading to the basement. All floors are of tile.
On the first floor are six suites of offices and waiting rooms, a large corridor, two toilets, a photograph room and a large main reception or waiting room. This room which is 25 x 30 feet in size, contains an open grate and in one corner is situated a small office or consultation room. A feature of the building lies in the fact that the main waiting room and corridor are so connected with the front entrance, that a person, after passing from the waiting room to any part of the building, may leave by the same entrance without again entering the main room.
In the basement, which is reached from an inside stairway, will be found five suites of offices, two toilets, a developing room and a vault. The heating apparatus is also situated in this part of the building.
The coverings to the side and rear porches are of iron and glass construction, and the outside stairway, located at the rear, is of iron. The foundation was laid with the idea of constructing two more stories if necessity requires. The plans were drawn by P. C. Floeter of this city.
The week just passing shows a decided let-up in the number of building and alteration permits issued by City Recorder Grant. In all, five of the slips were passed out which showed that the city is to be improved to the extent of $2,250. Only one permit for the building of new residences was issued.
- Mike Currier, wagon shed, 413 First street, $250.