Alexander McKay (1816-)
Historical Biographies. (Long paragraphs of original document may have been edited for easier viewing.)
Transcribed July 2005.
History of the Lake Huron Shore, 1883, H.R. Page, Chicago, IL Bay County
ALEXANDER McKAY settled in Lower Saginaw in 1849. He was born in Inverness, Scotland, September 16, 1816, and emigrated to this country in 1849.
He was in the clothing business until 1858, and after that time was in the employ of the late James Fraser, assisting in superintending his vast lumbering operations until 1868. He was then in the employ of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad Company for some time, but for a long time has not been in active business.
When he came to what is now Bay City, it was a comparative wilderness. He helped clear the land where the city now stands, make the first streets and build the first sidewalks.
He built the residence he now occupies on the corner of Sixth and Monroe Streets, in 1868, when all that locality was stump land.
He was married February 9, 1888, at Inverness, Scotland, to Ann Fraser, daughter of Alexander Fraser, of that place, and sister of the late James Fraser, of this city. They have four children, two sons and two daughters.
1850 - Census: Hampton Twp., Saginaw Co., Mich. Before Bay Co. was organized in 1857.