Among the industries that will get going this year, thereby adding hundreds of men to Bay City's working forces are the Charcoal, Iron & Chemical Company, which will employ at least 360 men; Michigan Turpentine Company, 50 men; Hanson-Ward planing mill, 100 men; M. Lamont's Sons, 100 men; Pierce Nye & Budd Company (recently organized) 25 men; World's Star Knitting works addition, 250 men; Handy Bros.' new box plant, 200 men. Other small concerns will add a total of 200 more.
The past year was one of the best years – if not the best since the decline of the lumber industry, Bay City has ever enjoyed. And then, the glory of the lumber industry was only comparative; such adances as was made during 1909 would have turned the city inside out during the height of the lumber regime.
Bay City's capacity for employment of labor increased during the year by over 15 per cent. This was due as much to enlargement of plants as to the location of new industries. Leading in the list are the National Cycle Works, which erected a 4-story factory building, making room for 250 additional employes. The installation of machinery is not yet completed, but will soon be finished. The Industrial Works has barely completed its new foundry room for 300 to 350 more men. The company is planning further building. The W. D. Young Maple Flooring Company increased its force by 141 men during the year, as compared with its old plant.
The Mershen, Bacon, Company has under construction a new box factory which will employ 100 additional hands, and the New Era Brick Company has increased the working for by 75 men and has practically doubled capacity. The Dupont Powder Company has double capacity and added about 25 men; the Muller Chicory Co., built a splendid chicory plant and put about 30 men at work. The Bay City Wood Plaster Company more than doubled its force; the De Foe Boat & Motor Works more than doubled its force when it removed from the park site; the Zagelmeyer Cast Stone Machinery Company built a new plant, while the list of concerns that added to the working forces is a long one. Among them are the Marine Iron Works, Schepper & Covert, which went into fine new quarters, Voghtman's flouring mill, the West Bay City Cooperage Company, and man others.
Among the industries that will construct plants during the spring and which will add hundreds of working men to Bay City's list the Charcoal Iron & Chemcial Company, the Michigan Turpentine Company, the Hanson-Ward planing mill, M. Lamont's Sons, the reorganized Pierce, Nye & Budd Company, and the World's Star Knitting Company.
Meanwhile Handy Bros' new box factory is nearing completion and when it starts it will employ more labor than the old plant, but just how much is not known. It will, however, be considerable.
Besides the industries enumerated there are as many others scattered throughout the city that have made additions to their forces, such as Gregory printing house, which added about 15 men. This is, of course, a small number, but ten such increases amount to 150 men added to the labor forces of the city.
Topping all the industries comes the new Handy Bros.' railroad into the Thumb, which will bring to Bay City in one lump between 300 and 450 new inhabitants. The Company will locate about 200 miners, it is announced, in Bay City, as the miners prefer to live in the city when possible.
Other related news items in this publication. - Added Dec., 2010.
BAY CITY WANTS CHEAPER LIGHT.
when the elecric light committee meets next
Wednesday, it is probable that serious consideration will be given the suggestion made originally two years ago and since oft reiterated, that the city engage a competent electrical engineer to appraise the value of the city's electric property and ascertain the exact cost of maintenance and operation in both the city's street lighting and commercial services.
Several members of the committee, it was learned yesterday, will be entrusted to bring the matter properly before the meeting for definite action. The committee is composed of Ald. Rose, Jodway, Watt and Tierney, with Mayor Evans as ex-officio member. Generally, the committee meets with Superintendent Fitzhugh, of the lighting department, and his assistant George W. Cornish.
According to one member, there is a double purpose in proposing action upon the suggestion at this time. The committee feel that a thorough and comprehensive appraisal is necessary in order that the city may be in a secure position when it comes to opening negotiations with the Chippewa River Power Company. This company offers to supply all the current need at the city's switchboard.
The Chippewa company's offer, alderman predict will be below the maximum rate specified in the ordinance, of two cents per kilowatt hour, provided the connected load shall not fall below a "peak" load, or 600 kilowatts per twenty-four hours. Alderman base their prediction of a lower rate than the maximum on what they regard as a certainty that there'll be competition if the Chippawa comes in.
According to the estimates given in Superintendent Fizhugh's last report, it costs the city $55 a year per lamp on the east side, and almost double that, or $102 a year per lamp on the west side. The department charges the city $55 a year per lamp. The loss on the west side is made up by the proceeds of the commerical service, together with the savings per lamp on the east side.
The Michigan Turpentine Company, of Bay City, will begin the operation of its plant delivered. The buildings are completed and the company will be ready to put on about thirty men, including night and day forces some time in February. Several carloads of pine stumps are on hand and it will keep the company bustling to meet the large demand for its product.
The plans for the building of the proposed iron and chemical plant, at Brooks, Bay City, have been approved and preparations are being made to get things in shape for actual work early in the spring. The directors have contracted for brick from the New Era Brick Company, which is located in Monitor. Two of the large buildings which are to be erected will be built of the same class of vitrified brick as is furnished the city for paving purposes. In order to get the brick ready for early delivery the New Era Company will enlarge its plant.
Charles J. Kienzle, vice-president of the National Chicory Company of Bay City and the company's attorney have completed arrangements for the purchase of property for the land as a branch of the Bay City institution. It is expected that the new factory will be in operation by September, 1910, and will employ about fifteen men during the chicory season. The Midland people have made good by securing more than 200 acres pledged to the growth of chicory.
W.L. Clements has declined the presidency of the Board of Trade of Bay City to which office he was elected at the annual meeting. Mr. Clements feels that he cannot devote the necessary time to the organization, and beleives the head of the Board of Trade should be able to give it a good deal of attention.
The coal mines of Saginaw Valley are now employing about 1,700 men, and the monthly pay roll amounts to about $140,000. The St. Charles mines and the Akron mines of Handy Bros. add $50,000 to this sum.
SHADE ROLLAR FACTORY BURNED.
The plant of the Quaker Shade Roller Company in Bay City was destroyed by fire last week, shortly before noon, causing a loss of about $70,000 and throwing 175 men out of employment. The cause of the blaze is unknown. The Saginaw factory of the concern is likely to be rushed to meet the extra demand that will be laid on it until the Bay City plant can be rebuilt.
NEW CONSTRUCTION COMPANY.
Charles W., Thomas L., George W. and Frank S. Handy, of Bay City, and John H. Allerdyce of Detroit constitute the Bay City Construction Company, of Bay City. The purpose of the company is to carry on the general engineering contracts and equipment business, and to do and perform all things necessary for the building and constructing of railroads. The company is capitalized at $10,000.
Related Pages & Notes
The lumber boom in Michigan began in the 1860s, and no area benefitted more from it than Bay City and Saginaw, which had the largest concentration of saw mills along the Saginaw River. The lumber boom peaked in the 1880s, and by then, Bay City and Saginaw were well known across the country, and were often written about in publications.
Related Pages: Industrial Works National Cycle Co. World's Star Knitting ... Biographies: Clements, Wm. L. Zagelmeyer, Alexander
Allerdyce, John H.
Clements, Wm. L.
Cornish, George W.
Evans mayor Fitzhugh Supt. Handy, Charles W.
Handy, Frank S.
Handy, George W
Handy, Thomas L.
Jodway alderman Kienzle, Charles J.
Rose alderman Tierney alderman Watt alderman
Akron coal mines
Bay City, MI
Bay City Bd. of Trade
Bay City Construction Co.
Bay City Wood Plaster Co.
Charcoal, Iron & chemical
Chippewa River Power Co.
Defoe Boat & Motor Works
Dupont Powder Co.
Gregory Printing Co.
Hanson-Ward plaining mill
M. Lamont's & Sons
Marine Iron Works
Mershen, Bacon Co.
Michign Turpentine Co.
Monitor Twp. Bay, MI
Muller Chicory Co.
National Cycle Works
New Era Brick Co.
Pierce Nye & Budd Co.
Quaker Shade Roller Co.
Saginaw Valley, MI
St. Charles, MI
ST. Charles coal mines
Vooghtman's Flooring Mill
W.D. Young Flooring Co.
W. Bay City Cooperage Co.
World's Star Knitting Co.
Zagelmeyer Cast Stone Co.
Related News Elsewhere
Who's Who, Ohio State Univ. Assoc. (1912) -----
Shore, Ben Edwards, Chemist, B.A. 1911, E.I. Dupont De Nempurs Power Co., Bay City, Michigan. -- Born at Dresdan, Ohio, April 4, 1886. Attended the Ohio State University, 1907-10, and Summer of 1910, and was graduated in June 1911, with the degree, Bachelor of Arts. Chemist, Experimental Station of Dupont Power Company, Wilmington, Delaware, several months. At present, Chief Chemist, E.I. Dupont De Nemours Powerder Copmany, Bay City, Mich. Member Masonic Order.