Residents of Bay County in 1847
by Judge Albert Miller for the Pioneer Society of Michigan.
In 1891, Judge Albert Miller wrote this record for the Pioneer Society of Michigan recalling the people who lived this area in 1847, this was ten years before Bay County was organized and still a part of Saginaw County. At that time, Bay City was known as the village of Lower Saginaw. In 1857, Bay County was organized from portions of Saginaw and Midland counties, and all of Arenac.
Pioneer Society of Michigan, 1891, pages 433-445.
RESIDENTS OF BAY COUNTY IN 1847.
By Judge Albert Miller
Bay county, although one of the smallest in the State in amount of territory, has become the fourth in population, numbering at the present time not far from sixty thousand inhabitants. It was organized in 1858, for I contend it was the decision of the supreme court in 1858 that organized the county instead of the act of the legislature of 1857.
At the census of 1860 the population of the whole county was a little over three thousand. Since that time Arenac county has been taken from the territory that was a part of Bay, still leaving the little county located around the head of Saginaw bay with a population that makes it fourth in in that respect in the State. Leon Tromble who located with his family in 1832 at a point now within the limits of Bay City was the first settler on the territory now comprised within the limits of Bay county. There was not to exceed a half dozen families residing in the territory till 1836 - the time of the great craze in land speculation and city building in what was then the great west, when the towns of Portsmouth and Lower Saginaw were laid out and the process of city building at each of the respective points was energetically commenced, but the great financial crash of 1837 nipped the embryo cities in the bud. In a little more than ten years another "boom" (which was occasioned by the discovery that there was value in pine timber) struck the locality, which caused a rapid increase in population. There are not many counties east of the Mississippi containing sixty thousand inhabitants in which there resides two men who can give the names of all the persons residing within its limits forty years ago - but two citizens of Bay county (P. J. Perrott and Michael Daily) who have been prominently identified with its interests for more than forty years, have furnished the following list of names which comprise that of every person residing in 1847 within the limits of the territory that now constitutes Bay county, and in almost every instance designating those who have died, and giving the present place of residence of the living. In looking over the list the writer finds names that he cannot pass over by merely stating that the person bearing them lived and died, or that they are still living, while there may be others equally worthy of comment, that are passed over for the reason that the writer is not so well acquainted with them.
Cromwell Barney, a native of Warren, Rhode Island, came to Michigan in July, 1836, and purchased from Judge Albert Miller some lots in Portsmouth, which were the first town or village lots sold in the territory, which is now Bay county. Judge Miller was contemplating building a steam saw-mill at Portsmouth, and Mr. Barney desired to be interested with him in the enterprise. He returned to his home to make arrangements for transferring his interests to Portsmouth.
Late in the following October when Judge Miller was on his way to Detroit to make arrangements for building the mill, he met Mr. Barney near Pine Run, on his way to Portsmouth. In a few minutes conversation it was arranged between the two that Mr. Barney should go to Portsmouth and erect a mill ready to receive the machinery, and that Judge Miller should continue his journey and purchase and engine and machinery and ship it to Portsmouth, both of which objects were accomplished under the most unheard of difficulties, and the mill put in operation on the first of the following April. Mr. Barney was also interested with the late James Frazer in building the first Kawkawlin mill, and was prominent as an enterprising citizen in the early history of the county. He died at Bay City somewhere about the year 1851. Mrs. Barney lived in Bay City till she passed away, about two years ago, aged over eighty years.
James Barney, born in Rhode Island, and brought by his parents to Michigan when about two years old, still lives in Bay City. Elizabeth Barney, the first female white child born in what is now Bay county, afterwards Mrs. Sinclair, died a few years ago, leaving children.
Capt. Benjamin F. Pierce, a native of Jefferson county, New York, where he was born in 1814 came to Lower Saginaw in 1839, and built the second warehouse that was erected in the county, and purchased and brought to the river in 1853 the tug Lathrop, which was the first craft used exclusively for towing vessels, that ever floated on these waters. Captain Pierce was actively engaged in the mercantile, freighting, fishing and other enterprises that started the growth of the town at the north end of the river. In 1858 he removed to the west side, where his enterprise was a material factor in starting what is now the flourishing city of West Bay City, where he still resides with his amiable wife, enjoying the fruits of their early labor.
Leon Tromble, Sr., the first white settler within the territory that is now Bay county, was a native of Michigan, born near Detroit, and reside in Wayne county till 1832, when he located on the banks of the Saginaw river, within the present limits of Bay City, having been appointed Indian farmer by General Cass. He was a genial, jovial Frenchman, always hospitable beyond his means. He was known to all the early settlers and to the early travelers visiting the valley and much respected by all who knew him. He lived within the limits of the county till 1858, when he passed away, aged sixty-five years.
Leon Tromble, Jr., son of the above named, was an enterprising young man and early engaged in the fishing business which, at one time, he prosecuted on a large scale. He was married at Bay City. He and his wife were members of the first Presbyterian church, and he a deacon. They afterwards removed to Escanaba, where Mrs. Tromble's life was tragically ended by an assassin, who, in the same affray injured Mr. Tromble so that he was ever afterwards insane and was an inmate of an asylum till death came to his relief about three years ago.
Lucy Tromble, whose marriage with John Jones was the first celebrated within the limits of the county, is now residing at Toledo, Ohio.
Ann Tromble is now the wife of Job Tromble, living in the town of Portsmouth.
Louis L. Tromble has always resided within the limits of the county since he came to it when a boy ten years old. His residence is now in Bay City.
Elizabeth Tromble, the youngest of the above mentioned family is the wife of P. J. Perrott, Esq., who is known to all residents of the city.
Joseph Tromble, a nephew of Leon and Benoit Tromble, purchased from the government the tract of land upon which Daglish's division of Portsmouth was afterwards located, and in company with his brother, Medor, in 1835 erected a trading house on it where they engaged in the Indian trade, and in 1837 built what is now known as the "Center House", which is the oldest house in the county. After selling his property in Portsmouth he removed to the west side of the river where he founded the village of Bangor and was prominent in the business interests of that locality till he passed away about three years ago. His wife took leave of earth about two years before him. Medor Tromble is still living in the south part of Bay City where he has been known and highly respected for more than fifty years. His wife, who was Miss Sarah McCormick, passed from earth about two months ago.
Leon Tromble, a brother of the two last named, married the daughter of Captain Joseph F. Marsac and lived in the southern limits of Bay City till about ten years ago when he passed away.
Sylvester Tromble, another of the above named, died about the year 1864, while engaged in the war of the rebellion.
Daniel S. Chapel, in company with John Jones, built a saw-mill at Pine river. He was drowned near the Third street bridge in Bay City about 1866.
James McCormick's name should appear in this connection as an early settler of the locality, having removed to Portsmouth in 1841, and in connection with his son, James J., operated the old Portsmouth mill till the time of his death, which occurred in 1846.
Ellen McCormick, wife of the above named, was long after the death of her husband the hostess of the old homestead now known as the "Center House", in the fifth ward of Bay City, where her long table was usually surrounded by men who were non-residents, but whose business called them to that locality. She died in 1862.
The following named are the members of the McCormick family that resided in Portsmouth in 1847;
James J. McCormick, late of Bay City, who was so well known that no extended remarks need be made concerning him. Died at his residence in Bay City in 1872.
Wm. R. McCormick, long known as a pioneer, was not a resident in that particular year.
Ann McCormick with her husband, John Malone, were residents of Portsmouth. Both are now living at Taymouth, Saginaw county.
Elizabeth McCormick and Orrin Kinney, now her husband were both residents then as well as now.
Sarah McCormick has been mentioned as the wife of Medor Tromble.
Archibald L., enlisted as a private in the 52d Illinois regiment, engaged in the war of the rebellion, was rapidly promoted to a captaincy, and fell pierced with seven balls while bravely leading his company at the battle of Kenesaw mountain.
Andrew V., who did good service in the late war, is now a wealthy farmer in Kansas.
James G. Birney, twice a candidate for president of the United States and once for governor of Michigan, whose name was favorably known throughout the civilized world, came to reside at Lower Saginaw in 1842. He was a third owner in the former Saginaw Bay company's lands and his enlightened policy and liberal dealings with early purchasers did much toward starting the growth of the town on a solid basis, and his early importation of blooded stock was a great benefit in improving the breed of cattle, the beneficial effects of which are seen at this day. Mr. Birney continued to reside at Lower Saginaw, now Bay City, till about 1855 when he removed to the state of New Jersey where he died four or five years afterwards.
Mrs. Birney, whose kindness of heart and benevolent acts greatly endeared her to the early settlers of the locality, survived her husband a few years, when she also passed to the unseen world.
Dr. Dion Birney, who was a surgeon in the army in the war of the rebellion, was a resident of the territory that is now Bay county in 1847, and died at Saginaw soon after the close of the war.
Gen. David B. Birney, who made a national reputation as a brave commander in the late war, was a pioneer of Bay County, coming here to reside with his father's family in 1842.
George Birney, who was a young lad when he came here in 1842, died at Bay City and his remains are mouldering in the Birney cemetery.
Florence Birney, now Mrs. Charles E. Jennison, has been a resident of this locality since 1842.
Fitzhugh Birney, a major in the late war, who died soon after its close, spent a few of the earliest years of his life at Lower Saginaw.
Frederick Derr, a native of Pennsylvania, came to Lower Saginaw in 1842 and erected a small dwelling on Water street, with which was connected a carpenter's shop in which in the forties he spent his time working at carpenter work and fitting whalebones for ladies' corsets. He invested his earnings in real estate in the town, which afterwards became very valuable. On the death of a relative in Pennsylvania, who left him a valuable estate, he returned to his native state where he now resides in affluent circumstances.
Thomas Rogers, a native of Scotland, after emigrating to Canada and spending a few years in that province, came to Portsmouth in 1836 and performed the blacksmith work for the steam saw-mill then and there being erected by Judge Albert Miller, B. K. Hall and Cromwell Barney. He removed his family to Portsmouth in 1838. Mr. Rogers was postmaster under Judge Miller and carried the mail once a week between Portsmouth and Saginaw, for the proceeds of the office for a term of three or four years. He then removed to Lower Saginaw where he was appointed postmaster of Hampton post office. He continued his residence at Lower Saginaw, a much respected citizen during the remainder of his life, which was terminated by cholera in 1852.
Mrs. Rogers was the daughter of Dr. Wilcox, a prominent physician of Watertown, New York, who in her girlhood assisted her father in his office filling prescriptions, dealing out medicines in his absence, till she became well acquainted with medicines and their effect in most diseases. That knowledge, with her kind and benevolent acts, proved a great blessing to the early settlers of Lower Saginaw and vicinity. She was the only resident physician from 1838 to 1850, always ready to respond to any call night or day, rain or shine, when there was a prospect of her relieving suffering humanity. She died at Bay City about six years ago.
Peter L. Rogers is now a resident of Montana in the region known as the Black Hills.
Hial B. Rogers died at Bay City in 1867.
Esther is the wife of Capt. Riley Burlington.
Elizabeth is the widow of Charles B. Cottrell, late of Bay City.
John A. Rogers is now a resident of Bay City
Thomas A. is supposed to be living but his residence is unknown.
Ellen is the wife of Professor Lankenaw now living at Grayling.
Capt. Joseph F. Marsac, a descendant from a family of French nobles, whose ancestor penetrated the wilderness of the great northwest at the time the Jesuits were establishing missions among the Indians in that region, was born at Hamtramck about the year 1790. The exact date is not known but he commanded a company of militia in the war of 1812, at which time he must have been over twenty-one years old. In 1838 he purchased a portion of the ten thousand acre tract of land that was ceded to the United States government by the treaty of 1837, which is now in the seventh ward of Bay City, where he resided with his family during the remainder of his natural life, which terminated in 1880 at the advanced age of ninety years or more. Captain Marsac was born soon after the inauguration of our national government, and few men ever lived to see such great changes take place in his native land. His genteel manners and genial, pleasant ways are remembered and his memory cherished by a very large circle of friends and acquaintances.
Michael Daily came to Saginaw in 1837, then an orphan aged about ten or twelve years. He came with his brother-in-law, Edward McArdle and his family. Michael provided for himself ever after arriving at Saginaw, and in so doing early in life, became aware of the value of time and money, and early became a good judge of the value of different kinds of property, in which he invested his small earnings so judiciously that at the age of twenty-one years he was worth $1,500. Seeing the necessity for an education, he had previous to becoming of age, spent some time at school, working nights and mornings in the meantime to pay his board. In 1846 he commenced the business of buying and selling fish and furs at Lower Saginaw, from which, and the judicious investment of its profits in real estate in an early day, he has become one of the wealthy men of Bay City. He has for some years past been the chairman of the board of county superintendents of the poor.
Patrick J. Perrott came to Lower Saginaw in 1845, first engaged in the business of coopering, furnishing fish barrels for fishermen on the lakes, which led him to engaging in the fishing business himself, in which he was quite prosperous, and he continued in that business and that of sailing on the lakes till 1860, when he became acting sheriff under the late Jonathan S. Barclay, and performed all the responsible duties of the office as sheriff and acting sheriff for ten years, till 1870. He was controller of Bay City in 1875 and 1876, has held other important offices in the city and county and has been quite prominent in politics since the county of Bay was organized. He now holds the office of justice of the peace in Bay City.
Donald Sutherland and Isaac Butterfield, in connection with Judge Albert Miller, operated the old Portsmouth mill in 1847, where they manufactured from the first cork pine that came to this end of the river from the Cass river pineries, the first cargo of clear lumber that was sent from this county to the Albany market. There was never a better cargo of lumber floated on the Saginaw river. The price at the mill was $11 per thousand. Both are now dead.
Aaron Smith, the Mormon preacher, who told a neighbor that he could preach more in one hour than the neighbor would believe in a month, came to lower Saginaw in 1847, and in company with Douglas Sayles, commenced the business of making and shipping oak staves. Mr. Smith purchased the forty acre lot that is now Mrs. Chilson's division of Bay City, where he built a log house that he occupied till he sold the place to Mrs. Chilson, when he returned to Ohio, and many years since passed to the world where he could test the validity of Joe Smith's revelation.
George Raby and Hannah, his wife, were residents of Bay City, at an early day. George Raby was one of the earliest navigators of the Saginaw River and bay having commanded a vessel that sailed to Saginaw City as early as 1837. He died at Portsmouth about the year 1860. Hannah Raby survived her husband many years and died at Portsmouth about the year 1883. Their children were Hannah, now wife of George Winterhalter, living at Sebewaing, and William Raby now living in Bay City.
Capt. John S. Wilson, the veteran navigator of Saginaw river and bay, came to Portsmouth in 1840 where he purchased a tract of land in what is now the fifth ward of Bay City from Capt. Joseph F. Marsac, where he spent the remainder of his days, commanding vessels that sailed from the river till about 1846 or 1848. He died at Bay City in 1869. Mrs. Wilson survived her husband some years. Their family that lived in Bay City in 1847 were Malissa, now Mrs. Wansey, living at Marine City, Elizabeth, now Mrs. George Howard, residing at West Bay City, a son who died aged about eighteen years and other children whose names are not remembered.
Curtis Munger and Edwin Park came to this locality in 1846, late in the fall and first engaged in the business
of coopering. It is not necessary to follow their enterprising career for forty years, as their works may be seen in Bay City at all times. Curtis Munger is now residing at Clio in feeble health. Edwin Park resides at Bay City, young in appearance and in robust health.
J. B. and B. B. Hart came to Lower Saginaw in 1845 and engaged in general trade with whites and Indians and continued in active business together, by themselves, and each with other partners for many years, when B. B. Hart removed to Minneapolis and is now carrying on a profitable business; and J. B. Hart died at Bay City in 1877.
Thomas Simpson, an old pioneer of the valley, kept the lighthouse at the mouth of the river in 1847. He died at Saginaw.
Harvey Williams, a veteran of the Saginaw valley pioneers, resided at the mouth of the Kawkawlin river in 1847 with his wife her two nieces, Miss Sophia Amlah, and Miss Elizabeth Fournier. Mr. and Mrs. Williams died at Saginaw within a few years past, both at an advanced age.
Miss Amlah was married to a gentleman from Philadelphia and died at an early age.
Miss Fournier was married to Amos Bailey also a resident of the county in 1847. They removed from this vicinity to some point on Lake Michigan where they both died, leaving a valuable estate to be divided among their children.
Harry Campbell, the inveterate practical joker, who in order to perpetrate a joke would not spare the purse or feelings of his best friend, has ceased his joking and gone to try the realities of another world.
Judge Albert Miller who was not a resident, but doing business in the locality in 1847, is now living in the third ward of Bay City.
Stephen Hopkins and William Pomeroy came to Lower Saginaw in 1846 and erected the steam saw-mill long known as the Hopkins mill which was on the present site of S. G. M. Gates' mill in the city, and was the second steam mill in the county. Mr. Hopkins after disposing of his interest in the mill returned to Ohio where he died many years ago. Mr. Pomeroy continued his residence in the locality, actively engaged in business till his death which occurred in the year 1868.
Israel Catlin came to this locality about the year 1844 and assisted in building the mill at Kawkawlin. Afterwards in 1847 with James Fraser erected the Catlin mill near the foot of Eighth street, which he operated for several years, when he sold his interest in the mill, but has continued his residence in the city. He was for many years postmaster of the Hampton postoffice, and was actively engaged in business till failing health compelled him to quit.
Jacob Graverat, a character of whom many laughable anecdotes are told, was a resident of the Saginaw valley long before any of the present residents knew anything about the locality. He, with his Indian wife and half-breed family of children resided on the territory that is now Bay county in 1847 when he died many years ago. Graverat claimed to have been employed by John Jacob Astor in the fur trade when the great genius and financier, who was twenty times a millionaire at the time of his death, was accumulating the first few thousands of his vast estate.
Sidney S. Campbell settled in Oakland county in 1829, came to Bridgeport in 1836 and to Lower Saginaw in March, 1838, where he continued to reside during the remaining period of his life. He died a few months ago, having had a longer residence in the locality than any white man then living - he was the first permanent settler in the village of Lower Saginaw after it was laid out and established. He was for many years in succession supervisor of the town of Hampton and a justice of the peace of said township and the first judge of probate for Bay county, and for a long time kept the only hotel in the locality and was a veritable pioneer so well known in this community that no extended mention of him need be made in this connection.
Mrs. Campbell who survives him and is now a resident of the tenth ward of Bay City, was his constant and faithful companion in all his pioneer life, and his stay and support when the feebleness of old age came upon him.
THE PEOPLE OF '47
The following statement is a complete list of the residents of Bay county in 1847. It shows who are dead and who are living, their present place of residence and the change of name of the women who married.
(Transcription note: The following differs from the original text in that all of the individuals have been listed on separate lines and under an alpabethical list by surnames to make it easier to find a specific entry.)
ALLEN: John Allen,
Mrs. John Allen,
Maria Allen, deceased.
AMLAH: Miss Sophia Amlah, deceased.
BACKUS: Fred W. Backus, deceased.
BAILEY: Amos Bailey, deceased.
BARNEY: Cromwell Barney,
Elizabeth Barney, deceased;
James Barney, resides in Bay City;
Miss Elizabeth Barney, deceased.
BIRNEY: James G. Birney,
Mrs. James G. Birney,
Fitzhugh Birney, deceased;
Miss Florence Birney, now Mrs. C. E. Jennison, resides Bay City.
Ezra D. Blend, deceased.
Isaac Butterfield, deceased.
CAMPAU: Simon Campau,
Mrs. Simon Campau, deceased;
Charles Campau, resides West Bay City.
CAMPBELL: Sidney S. Campbell, deceased;
Mrs. Sidney S. Campbell,
Miss Emma Campbell,
Miss Margaret Campbell, now Mrs. B. Witthauer,
William Campbell, resides Bay City;
Harry Campbell, deceased.
CATLIN: Israel Catlin, resides Bay City.
CHAPEL: Mrs. Lucretia Chapel, now Mrs. Lucretia Diamond, Resides Bay City;
Daniel S. Chapel, deceased.
CRAWFORD: John Crawford,
Mrs. John Crawford, deceased.
CUNNINGHAM: Bernard Cunningham, deceased.
DAILY: Michael Daily, resides Bay City.
DEFOE: Francis Defoe, resides West Bay City;
Mrs. Francis Defoe, deceased;
John Defoe, resides West Bay City,
Katherine Defoe, deceased.
DELONEY: Charles Deloney, resides Bay City;
Amelia Deloney, deceased.
DERR: Fred Derr, resides Pennsylvania.
DODGE: Smith Dodge,
Mrs. Smith Dodge, deceased.
DOWNING: Major Downing, deceased.
DUEL: Hulette Duell, deceased;
Mrs. Hulette Duell, resides Au Sable;
Jesse Duell, resides Au Sable,
Charles Duell, deceased.
FERGUSON: Mr. Ferguson, deceased
FOURNIER: Miss Elizabeth Fournier, deceased.
GRAVEROD: Jacob Graverod,
Mrs. Jacob Graverod,
Noah Graverod, deceased.
GUILLET: Louis Guillet, resides Hampton,
Mrs. Louis Guillet, deceased;
Alex Guillet, reside Hampton.
HART: J. B. Hart, deceased;
B. B. Hart, resides Minneapolis.
HEBERT: Jonas L. Hebert, resides West Bay City.
HOPKINS: Stephen Hopkins, deceased;
HOYLOTT: Miss Eliza C. Hoyloot, now Mrs. Israel Catlin, resides Bay City.
INNIS: Captain Innis, deceased.
JEWELL: Leonard Jewell,
Walter Scott Jewell, deceased.
KINNEY: Orrin Kinney, resides Bay City.
MALONE: John Malone,
Mrs. John Malone, resides Taymouth, Saginaw county
MARSAC: Joseph F. Marsac,
Mrs. Joseph F. Marsac,
Israel Marsac, deceased;
Miss Cecil Marsac now Mrs. Leon Tromble,
Charles F. Marsac, resides Bay City.
MATIVA: Joseph Mativia, deceased;
Mrs. Joseph Mativia, now Mrs. Louis Guillet,
Alex Mativia, reside Hampton township;
Andrew Mativia, reside Zilwaukee.
MCBRIDE: Emma McBride, Deceased.
MCCORMICK: James McCormick,
Mrs. James McCormick,
James J. McCormick,
Mrs. James J. McCormick,
Archibald McCormick, deceased;
Andrew McCormick, resides Kansas;
Mrs. Elizabeth McCormick, now Mrs. Orrin Kinney, resides Bay City.
MCFARLANE:Mrs. John McFarlane, deceased;
MOULTHROP: Clark Molthrop, resides Bay City;
Gannis Moulthrop deceased.
MOWREY: Wm. Mowrey, deceased.
MUNGER: Curtis Munger, resides Clio.
PARKS: Edwin Parks, resides Bay City.
PERROTT: Osmond Perrott,
John S. Perrott, deceased;
Patrick J. Perrott, resides Bay City;
Miss Hannah Perrott, now Mrs. C. M. Pierce, resides West Bay City
PHILBRICK: David G. Philbrick,
Mrs. D. G. Philbrick, deceased.
PIERCE: Nathan Pierce,
Mrs. Nathan Piece,
Miss Mary Pierce, deceased;
B. F. Pierce, resides West Bay City;
C. M. Pierce, resides Detour;
Cyrenus Pierce, resides Au Sable;
Joshua Pierce, resides Bay City;
Daniel M. Pierce, resides Bay City;
Cordelia Pierce, now Mrs. J. D. Huckins, Bay City.
POMEROY: William Pomeroy, deceased;
Mrs. William Pomeroy, resides Joliet, Illinois;
Miss Harriet Pomeroy, now Mrs. Harriet Jenkins, resides Detroit;
William S. Pomeroy, deceased;
Charles H. Pomeroy, reside Bay City.
RABY: George Raby,
John Raby, deceased;
William Raby, resides Bay City;
Miss Hannah Raby, now Mrs. George Winterhalter, resides Sebewaing.
REYNOLDS: Nelson Reynolds,
Simon Reynolds, deceased.
RICE: Milton Rice, resides Detour.
RICHMOND: Matthew Richmond,
Mrs. Matthew Richmond, deceased.
ROGERS: Thomas Rogers,
Mrs. Thomas Rogers,
Hial Rogers, deceased;
Peter L. Rogers, resides Montana;
John A. Rogers, resides West Bay City;
Miss Bettie Rogers, now Mrs. C. B. Cottrell, resides Bay City;
Miss Esther Rogers, now Mrs. R. M. Burrington, resides Bay City;
Miss Hellen Rogers, now Mrs. F. W. Lankenaw, resides Grayling.
SAYLES: D. G. Sayles,
Mrs. D. G. Sayles, deceased.
SCOTT: Henry Scott, Sr.,
Mrs. Henry Scott,
Andrew Scott deceased;
Henry J. Scott, Jr., resides at Roscommon.
SIMPSON: Thomas Simpson, deceased.
SMITH: Hosea Smith, resides Lake Superior;
Aaron Smith, the Mormon, deceased.
TATE: Peter Tate,
Mrs. Peter Tate, deceased.
Miss Eliza Tate, now Mrs. Wm. Clark, resides West Bay City;
Miss Mary Tate, now Mrs. Douglass.
TROMBLE: Leon Tromble, Sr., Leon Tromble, Jr., deceased;
L. L. Tromble, resides Bay City;
Mrs. Lucy Jones, resides Toledo;
Miss Ann Tromble, now Mrs. Job Tromble, resides Portsmouth township;
Miss Elizabeth Tromble, now Mrs. P. J. Perrott, resides Bay City;
Benoit Tromble, Mrs. Benoit Tromble,
Benjamin Tromble, deceased; Mrs. Benjamin Tromble, now Mrs. Wooden, resides Bay City;
Louis B. Tromble, resides Tuscola county;
Richard Tromble, resides West Bay City;
Miss Sarah Tromble, now Mrs. Sarah Jerard, Resides Bay City;
Miss Abbie Tromble, now Mrs. Abbie Grant, resides Roscommon.
Miss Julia Tromble,
Mrs. Joseph Tromble, deceased;
Joseph Tromble, Jr.,
Miss Adeline Tromble, now Mrs. Jeff Beebe, reside West Bay City;
Mrs. Medor Tromble,
Leon Tromble, deceased.
TRUDELL: John Trudell,
Mrs. John Trudell,
Melissa Trudell, deceased;
John Trudell, Jr., reside West Bay City.
WILLETT: Samuel Willett,
Mrs. Samuel Willett,
Joseph Willett, reside Hampton.
WILSON: John S. Wilson, deceased;
Mrs. John S. Wilson, deceased;
Elizabeth Wilson, now Mrs. Elizabeth Howard, resides West Bay City;
Malina Wilson, now Mrs. Wansey, resides Marine City;
George Wilson, deceased.
Related Note & Pages
None at this time.
James G. Birney
Sidney S. Campbell
Joseph F. Marsac
Wm. R. McCormick
Benjamin F. Pierce
Mrs. Elizabeth Rogers
John S. Wilson
Backus, Fred W.
Barclay, Jonathan S.
Birney, David B.
Birney, James G.
Blend, Ezra D.
Burrington, Riley M.
Campbell, Sidney S.
Chapel, Daniel S.
Chapel, Mrs. Lucretia
Cottrell, Charles B.
Diamond, Mrs. Lucretia
Hebert, Jonas L.
Hoyloot, Eliza C.
Jennison, Charles E.
Jewell, Walter Scott
Marsac, Charles F.
Marsac, Joseph F.
McCormick, Andrew V.
McCormick, Archibald L.
McCormick, James J.
McCormick, Wm. R.
Perrott, John S.
Perrott, Patrick J.
Philbrick, David G.
Pierce, Benjamin F.
Pomeroy, Charles H.
Pomeroy, Wm. S.
Raby, Hannah (dau)
Raby, Hannah Mrs.
Rogers, Heal B.
Rogers, John A.
Rogers, Peter L.
Rogers, Thomas A.
Sayles, Douglas G.
Scott, Henry J.
Scott, Henry Sr.
Tromble, Joseph Jr.
Tromble, Leon, Jr.
Tromble, Louis B.
Tromble, Louis L.
Trudell, John Jr.
Wilson, John S.
Jefferson County, NY
Taymouth, Sag. co.
West Bay City