1892 biography. - Added Oct., 2009.
History of Saginaw and Bay Counties, Michigan, 1892.
LOUIS M. PELLETIER, M. D., C. M.
This prominent and highly-esteemed medical practitioner of West Bay City, was born in Quebec, January 26, 1863. His father, Jean Barthelemy Pelletier, is also a native of Quebec, and the son of French parents, who came from their native home and located in Quebec, where the father carried on the profession of a Civil Engineer. The father of our subject has always followed the calling of an agriculturalist and at one time managed four farms near Quebec. A prominent, influential and wealthy man, he is liberal in his views and life. The mother of our subject, Marie Anna, was born in Quebec and is a daughter of Charles Silvestre Lesther Pelletier, a native of Canada and the wealthiest farmer in his vicinity. His parents belonged to the royal blood of France and came from Orleans.
There were twelve children in the family of which our subject was a member, and one brother has become prominent as a priest in the Roman Catholic Church. Louis graduated in the common-schools and at the age of twelve took a commercial course in the College of L'Islet, and then a classical course in the College of St. Anne, from which he graduated at the age of nineteen with the degrees of Bachelor of Sciences and Bachelor of Arts.
From early boyhood the desire of our subject was to study medicine. In pursuance of that earnest wish he entered the University of Montreal in 1884, and after studying medicine for one year, in May, 1885, he passed his examination to enter the medical department of the same institution. After four years' course he graduated in 1889 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery. He had been an exceptional student, having pursued his studies with great avidity and possessing the most remarkable memory of any member of the class. He receive the well-deserved encomiums and secured the esteem of his professors, besides carrying off the class honors.
The youngest practitioner established himself for six months at St. Paschal, but as his health gave way he took a vacation for some four months and then decided to come to the States. He located first in AuSable, Mich., where he built up the best practice of any physician, but on account of financial failures and fires the town retrogrades and he determined to come to West Bay City, being influenced thereto by Father Sampson. Since he came here in October, 1891, he has established a good practice at his office at No. 209 Linn Street and is growing in popularity. He is a devout member of the St. Mary's Church, in the work of which he takes an active part.