John H. Plum (1839-)
Native of New York, among first settlers in villiage of Wenona.
Biography, 1883. - Added Jan., 2011.
History of Bay County, Michigan - 1883.
J. H. PLUM. _________
J. H. Plum was born in New York in 1839. His father, a carpenter and joiner, moved to Pennsylvania when John was four years old. He was placed in a store at the age of fourteen. Earned $60 collar and board the first year. Second year, $80, at the close of which time his father moved to Flint, Mich., where he entered the store of Grand Decker, general merchant. Salary first year, $100; second, $200, increasing to $700, at the end of which time 1864, he came to Wenona as manager of the store of Sage and McGRaw, at a salary of $1,000 per year. At the end of a year and a half he became partner in the business, which continues to the present time, and is decidedly the leading merchant house in the city, doing a heavy wholesale as well as retail business. He marriedMiss Marian A. Knickerbocker, of Flint, a native of Oakland County. He has five children, two sons and three daughters. In 1875 he bought lots on Midland Street, Chillson Addition, where he erected a splendid dwelling, the surrounding lawn being well cared for and ornamented. Mr. Plum has been an ardent supporter of all measures for the improvement of the city, and its people. He has been a member of the School Board for the past seven years. Mr. Plum's successful career affords a laudable example to those who begin life poor. It shows what may be done by perseverance and a firmness of purpose which aims high.
An office of the U. S. Telegraph Company was opened in Wenona in 1865, and on its consolidation with the Western Union Company the latter took possession of the office. Mr. J. H. Plum is the manager.
In the consolidation of Wenona, Banks, Salzburg, each place retained its postoffice, that of Wenona being changed in name to West Bay City, was established by the postoffice department in February, 1865, in the village of Wenona, and appointed Mr. George H. Bates postmaster. He held the office until June, 1866, when he resigned, and Mr. J. H. Plum was appointed to fill the vacancy. During the officer terms of these two gentlemen the office was kept in a part of Sage, McGraw & Co's store. Mr. Plum, in October, 1866, was succeeded by Major Newcomb Clark, who held the office until the Fall of 1869, when he was succeeded by Henry Aplin, the present incumbent.
Page 195. (West Bay City Manufacturing Company)
The officers of the company at this date (1882) are John Bourn, president; E. T. Carrington, secretary; H. H. Norrington, treasurer; M. W. Brock, manager, and the following named directors: J. Bourn, E. T. Carrington, H. H. Norrington, M. W. Brock, J. H. Plum, and E. M. Fowler.
Mr. Plum was an elder of the Westminister Presbyterian Church (formerly the First Presbyterian Church of Bangor). The original church was located on Catherine Street, and was built on land donated by Henry W. Sage.
1865 – Michigan Marriages: Flint.
On April 29, 1863, John H. Plum (b. 1839) married Marion A. Knickerbocker (b. 1841).
1870 – Census: Bangor, Bay, Mich.
Plum, John H. - age 31, b. NY, general merchant
Marion, wife – age 29, b. Mich.
Eddie, son – age 5, b. Mich.
Mary, dau. - age 1, b. Mich.
Wilkins, Pila – age 18, b. Canada, domestic servant.
Sanford, Edwin – age 30, b. Conn., minister
1881 – Directory: West Bay City, Mich.
Plum, Allen E. - clerk, bds J. H. Plum.
Plum, Allen G. - bookkeeper H. W. Sage & Co., res River bet John and Jane.
Plum, J. H. (H. W. Sage & Co.), res n w cor. Midland and Cornelia, 2d ward.
Bates, George H.
Knickerbocker, Marian (wife)
Plum, Allen E. (son)
Plum, Allen G.
Plum, Eddie (son)
Plum, John H. (subject) Plum, Mary (dau)
Sage, Henry W.
Bay City, MI
Bay County, MI
Oakland Co., MI
Sage & McGraw Mill
U.S. Telegraph Co.
West Bay City, MI
Western Union Co.