The Bay City Times - Saturday, December 15, 1940.
Is City’s Most Modern Junior High School
T. L. Handy’s Construction Is Adapted to the Co-ordination of Curricular and
Guidance Programs for West Side Students
(EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the fourteenth in a series of articles published each Saturday in The Times and relating to the history of Bay City schools. The background of T. L. Handy Junior high school is discussed today, and next week’s story will deal with Eastern Junior high school.)
Bay City’s only modern Junior High school, T. L. Handy, has served students of the West Side for the past 18 years, and was built with the adoption here of the 6-3-3 plan. This plan, now used almost universally throughout the United States, allows for three grades in high school, three in junior high school, and six in the elementary schools, and gives the junior high student opportunity to easier make transition to the high school level.
Installation of the plan in Bay City necessitated the building of a junior high school on the West Side at the time Central High school was erected for students throughout the city. The former Eastern High school, the oldest school building in the city, is used for junior high school students of the East Side, although it hasn’t all the facilities necessary to the carrying out of a full junior high school program. Handy’s construction allows for a well-organized program, both from the curricular and guidance standpoints.
Has Four Shops
Besides the regular class rooms there are four shops, two home-making laboratories, art department, gymnasium, swimming pool, and auditorium, all necessary in the full use of the modern junior high school program. The shops include, sheet metal, wood turning, electricity, and print. There’s also a cafeteria which seats 200 students, who are served at least part of a lunch every day in the school year. Nine-hundred persons can be seated in the auditorium, which serves for assemblies and special programs presented by the students throughout the year. A projection room is used for the presentation of educational pictures.
Handy is built on 13.8 acres, purchased from Thomas Lincoln Handy, after whom the school was named. It is 353 feet in width and 200 feet along the of the school, with the gymnasium on one side and the auditorium on the other.
Out of 21 points on instructional efficiency, Handy has 11 listed as “excellent,” nine as “good,” and one “fair,” that of the playground. “Excellent” ratings are given to architecture, construction, flexibility, class rooms, special rooms, heating, ventilation, water supply, toilet system, natural lighting and safety. Listed as “good” are landscape, expansion, height basement, efficiency for administration, general condition, artificial lighting and equipment.
The school was opened for use Sept. 4, 1922, when only the main part of the building was completed. There was no auditorium, no cafeteria, and no gymnasium. Until September, 1924, the present library on the second floor was used as a gym, and assemblies were held in the various study halls, and repeated until the entire student body had seen or heard the entertainment. Lunches were eaten in the classrooms at noon.
Has Orthopedic Department
There were three vacant rooms on the third floor during the first two years, and then during the remodeling of the Trombley school there was an influx of students filling the building. That condition was remedied with completion of work at Trombley.
In 1930 the Orthopedic department was located at Handy for crippled children throughout the county. As it seemed too far out for the youngsters it was moved to Central for three years, but was returned to Handy, where it has grown so that three rooms are now necessary. The teachers of that department, with 30 pupils, are Mrs. Mildred Losee, Mrs. Britta Mather, and Miss Ethelyn Thorpe who is the physiotherapist, giving daily treatments to the children.
The West Side part-time school is also located at Handy, with Miss Anna Sturm as teacher. Because of state working laws the enrollment has dropped from 125 to 55.
Every room in Handy is now filled with students for each hour, with the school having an enrollment of more than 700.
7,000 Books in Library
The library, now located on the second floor was formerly placed on the first floor. It was moved because of the need of more space. It has a complete reference library, and houses more than 7,000 volumes, include biography, travel and fiction. Mrs. Emma Williamson is the librarian.
Both the boys and girls use the gymnasium and pool as well as the large playground and athletic field, which is part of the school’s acreage, Miss Blanche Leeming teaches the girls and George Howard the boys. There is also a rifle range for students.
Handy’s first principal was A. J. Armstrong, formerly principal of the Kolb and Riegel schools. When he retired in 1935 he was replaced by Arthur H. Cansfield, the present school head. Cansfield was former athletic coach at Handy.
Twenty-nine teachers are employed at Handy, not including those of the Orthopedic department. Almost all of them have an extra-curricular activity such as a club, faculty committee, or both. Everyone has an advisory group of from 20 to 30 pupils.
In the group are Miss Dorothy Roberts, clothing; Miss Elizabeth Meier, foods; Miss Mary Ann Piechowiak, music; Samuel Davidson, woodshop, electricity and sheet metal; Miss Irene Tryon, art; Howard Lentz, mechanical drawing and printing; Miss Alice Pearsall, Arthur Ellico and Miss Edith Anderson, mathematics; Miss Marian Youngs, English and reading; Miss Catherine Belworthy, Latin, English, and occupational training; Miss Olive Lagden, French and English and mathematics; Miss Clara Schroeder, social science; Mrs. William K. Swan, mathematics and social science; Lyle Higgs, commercial subjects; Miss Christine Connery, study hall; Miss Katherine McLaughlin, social science; Miss Lily E. Porteus, Latin and English; Miss Janice Ueberhorst, English; Leo Beach, social science; Miss Orena Luxton, English and reading; Miss Emma Hollister, English; Eugene Riker, mathematics and commercial arithmetic; Lester Taylor, mathematics and social science; Richard Bendall, biology and science; and Mrs. Edna Ruhstorfer, social science.