The Bay City Times - Saturday, December 29, 1940.
One of the most modern of Bay City's elementary buildings, the Woodside school ws built in 1905, after the burning of the first school, now recalled as "the little Woodside," the year before. In February, 1930, an addition was erected consisting of six class-rooms, including one of the most modern kindergartens in the state, a full-sized gymnasium and auditorium with a seating capacity of 400, kitchen, clinic, and rest room.
The first building, located on the same spot as the present school, had four rooms and cost $3,800, and followed a recommendation, made by George H. Shearer, member of the board of education. The land was purchased from William McEwan and the building formed a cross with a room extending in each of the four directions, a hall in the center and two doors in the front and back. Miss Lena Carton was the first principal and her salary was $400 a year. Other teachers who taught the 105 pupils were Miss Carrie Riley, MIss Mary Freeman, Miss Algiva Verity, and Miss Katherine O'Hare. The first janitor, who had charge of the hot-air heating apparatus with which the school was equipped, was a woman, Mrs. M. W. Brown.
Had Training School
In Sept. 1889 the Bay City Training school was transferred here from the Dolsen school, "not to remain longer than one year," However, it stayed until 1893, when it was moved to the Lincoln school.
With the departure of the training school, Miss Josephine Knoblauch become principal with Miss Minnie Green, Miss Mary Parker and Miss Maud Crosby on her staff. In 1895 the staff acquired Miss Harriet Wurtz to replace Miss Crosby. Miss Knoblauch retired as principal in 1933, when Miss Elizabeth Seebeck, the present principal, took over her duties.
The fire in 1905, destroying the original building, occurred on Washington's birthday at 9 a.m. and children were then sent to the 10th ward hose house for classes, until an improvised school was prepared for the first and second grade pupils. The third and fourth grades were enrolled in the Sherman school.
John Kelly, board member of the first ward, was responsible for pushing the fight to build an eight-room building when plans were being made for the present school. The authorization was given March 10, 1905, and students entered the new building in the fall of 1906. It was the first flat-roofed school in the city, modern in every detail and made of red brick with a full basement, steam heat, electric lights and running water. The eight classrooms were large enough for 40 pupils. Kelly became the building's janitor and retained the position until his death in 1914.
Organize P.T.A. in 1923
The first kindergarten in the school was opened in 1910 and in 1914 a mother's club was organized. It became a P.T.A. in 1923 with R.W. Barnett, president. Mrs William Gust is the present president.
Today the school has a staff of 14 teachers and an enrollment of more than 450 students, who have many extra-curricular activities. The Girl Research unit is directed by Mrs. Ezra Jacob and Mrs. Orlo Miller, and the Gra-Y is led by Fred Mitchell. Leroy Stanton is master of Boy Scout troop, No. 18, a unif of the school.
The traffic patrol which won city honors this year, is captained by Jack Gregory, and Wilda Figley directs the Service Squad which aids teachers in the efficient running of the building. Democratic principles are taught through the Student Council, whose president is Grace King.
The youngsters care for the library of 500 volumes which they earned in the first place, and that there is a keen interest in athletics us proved by the fact the school has held the eighth grade championship in basketball for the past four years. A government book-binding project in the basement serves the schools and libraries in the city and county, and a child clinic is held in the building twice a month by the city nursing service. The opportunity room was opend in 1934.
The large playground, covering several acres, is under the supervision of trained leaders during the summer.
Among the teachers are: Dolores Beyer, Marian E. Bialy, Harriet Bishop, Agnes G. Freel, Gertrude Hamme, Esther M. Lundborn, Henrietta Meisel, Marian Meisel, Helen Mills, Mary Jane Pilditch, Janet Shader, Della Tatro, Harriet Wurtz, and Faye Jane Young. Miss Wurtz was a teacher in the "the little Woodside" school.