George Henry Shearer (1853-1920)
Son of James and Margaret (Hutchinson) Shearer, of Bay City, MI
1892: Biography. (Added Nov. 2007)
Portrait and Biographical Record of Saginaw and Bay Counties, Michigan 1892: Portrait Publishing Company, Chicago
G. HENRY SHEARER. ________
The oldest and most prominent real-estate firm in Bay City is that of Shearer Bros., which consists of the gentleman whose portrait is presented on the opposite page, and his brother, James B. The original firm name was James Shearer & Son, and for a more complete account of the organization of this successful business enterprise, the reader is referred to the biography of James Shearer, which appears in another portion of the Record. The subject of this notice was born in Detroit, January 3, 1853, and removed toBay City in April, 1865.
The early educational advantages which were enjoyed by Mr. Shearer included one year spent in the Bay City High School, a three-year course in the Philo M. Patterson School, a private institution of high grade in Detroit, and an attendance of one year in a military academy at Chester, PA. After completing his education he returned to Bay City, and entered the employ of the lumber firm of James Shearer & Co., beginning as a laborer in the yards, and continuing until by a series of promotions he became book-keeper. For five years he devoted his exclusive attention to that line of business until 1877, when he began operations in real estate with his father, and has continued in that business until the present.
In 1880 the title of the firm was changed to Shearer Bros. by the admission of James B. Shearer. They have very large interests in Bay City, handling business property exclusively, and their office is in the Shearer Bros. Block at 809 Adams Street, which they own. They handle all of the extensive interests of their father, besides those of a large number of non-residents, and carry on the insurance business in connection with real estate. They are doing by far the largest real estate business of any firm in the city.
Our subject is Secretary of the Elm Lawn Cemetery Company, President of the Bay County Land Co., Limited. Vice-President of the Bay County Savings Bank and President of the Shearer Bros. Land Company, all of which are incorporated companies. For nine years he has been on the Board of Water Commissioners for the city, and has also been one of the Fire Commissioners since the organization of that branch of the city service. He is one of the Directors of the Les Cheneaux Island Association, which is a summer resort near Mackinaw Island.
In the social orders Mr. Shearer is prominent. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, where he has reached the thirty-second degree, and belongs to the Bay City Commandery, the Detroit Consistory and the Mystic Shrine. His marriage, which was solemnized August 22, 1876, united him with Elva D., daughter of the late D. Culver, formerly one of the prominent lumbermen of this city. Both Mr. and Mrs. Shearer are prominent members of the Presbyterian Church of this city, and find in it a broad field of usefulness and influence. In politics Mr. Shearer is an active and influential Republican, but does no permit his name to be used for an election.
1920 Death: Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx - Mar. 2008.
The Bay City Tribune - Friday, January 16, 1920 (Page 1)
Death of G. Harry Shearer in Calif.
Was One of Bay City's Leading
Citizens for Many Year
A telegram received this morning from Oakland, California, announced the death at 9:45 o’clock Thursday evening at his home 1022 East 28th street in that city, of G. Harry Shearer, formerly of Bay City, after an illness that extended over a year. Mr. Shearer left Bay City in 1903 and engaged in the planing mill business on San Francisco bay. Five years ago he was appointed manager of a bank, but a year ago was obliged to resign on account of failing health.
Mr. Shearer was a son of the late James Shearer, an early settler and a brother of James B. Shearer, of Bay City, Chauncey Shearer, of Ann Arbor, and Mrs. Frank Burton, of Fort Leavenworth. Mr. Shearer was born in Detroit, January 3, 1853, but came to Bay City with his parents in April 1865, and lived here continuously until his departure for California. After receiving his education in Bay City and Detroit schools and in a military academy at Chester, Pa., he came to Bay City and engaged in the lumber business with his father. In 1877 he entered the real estate business, which he followed until going west. He was the secretary of the Elm Lawn cemetery association, president of the Bay County Land company and vice-president of the Bay County Savings bank. For nine years he was a member of the water works board and he was also one of the fire commissioners of this city. He was a 32nd degree Mason, a Knight Templar, belonging to the Bay City Commandery, and of the Detroit Consistory and the Mystic Shrine. In August 1876 he was united in marriage to Miss Elva D., daughter of the late Descum Culver, who survives him. They were members of the First Presbyterian church.
When Harry Shearer lived in Bay City he had a wide circle of acquaintances and no one was held in higher esteem. His affability and geniality made every person his warm friend.
Burton, Frank Mrs. (sister)
Culver, Elva D. (wife)
Shearer, Cauncey (bro.)
Shearer, James (father)
Shearer, James B. (bro.)
Bay City, MI
Bay Co. Land Co., LTD
Bay Co. Savings Bank
Bd. Fire Commission
Bd. Water Commission
Elm Lawn Cemetery Co.
First Presbyterian Ch.
Fort Levenworth, KS
James Shearer & Co.
James Shearer & Son
Les Cheneaux Island Assoc.
Philo M. Patterson Sch.
San Francisco Bay
Shearer Bros. Block
Shearer Bros. Land Co.
Water Works Board