HOME - Front Page
Heritage \ Writings \ Disasters

Bay City's Last Streetcar (1924)
Contributed by Alan Flood. (October 2003)

Bay City Times-Tribune - Sunday, October 26, 1924

Bay City's Last Street Car Is To Be Junked This Week.


Surrounded by wheels which used to thump and clank along the tracks on Center avenue, Broadway, Farragut street, Midland street and Essexville, and stripped of window panes, doors, seats and machinery, old 155 makes a sorry spectacle as it waits complete destruction across from the street car barns between Saginaw and Water streets.

For 155 is truly the “last of the line”. A glimpse of the pile of scrap which surrounds it establishes that fact in an instant. Three short years ago, 155 was a much sought after thing. On cold days, waiting people hailed its appearance with delight. But that was in the days of street cars. For three years now, 155 has been the one to wait. And it has been waiting for the inevitable.

All the other street cars which formerly transported the people of Bay City before motor buses came into their own, have been relegated to the heap of scrap iron which surrounds 155. There are to be found wheels, motors, body frames, brakes, and here and there a portion of a car roof or undestroyed bit of the body. And 155 is in harmony with its surroundings, for there is little left bu the skeleton of the city’s last street car, and that is soon to go.

On the inside of the car there is nothing left but the floor and the walls. Seats, equipment, and everything else has been removed. The floor is covered with the dust of several years. Searching in this dust, one find a few mementos of former days when 155 was an active, serviceable thing, not waiting for the junk heap.

On the floor of the vestibule, so dust-eaten it can hardly be read, is one of the signs which three years ago advertised a well known brand of chewing gum. Near it are some torn transfers and sheets from the daily report form made out by the conductor. Folded and twisted, a copy of the Detroit Free Press of Thursday, August 5, 1920 lies nearby.

There seems to have been a political campaign about the time 155 was discarded, because there are the political cards soliciting votes for Robert V. Mundy, candidate for city commissioner, and Mike Frasik, candidate for county clerk. On a slip of paper is written the address and phone number of a Flint visitor to the city, and rubbing elbows with the political cars is the business card of printing salesman in Essexville. Finally there is a manila paper folder which Charlotte Talberg used in connection with here studies at Eastern High School.

No. 155 is to be junked this week by H. Hirschfield Sons Co., which purchased all the equipment of the defunct Saginaw-Bay City Railway Co. some time ago. When this process is completed Bay City will truly be without street cars.

Subject Notes
  • None.
  • People Referenced
    Frasik, Mike
    Munday, Robert V.
    Talberg, Charlotte
    Subjects Referenced
    Bay City, MI
    Broadway ave.
    Center ave.
    Detroit Free Press
    Eastern High School
    Essexville, MI
    Farragut st.
    H. Hirschfield Sons Co.
    Midland st.
    Motor buses
    Saginaw-Bay City Railway Co.
    Saginaw St.
    Street car barn
    Water st.
    WRITINGS: History As It Was Written Then.