Samuel J. Tripp (1825-1911)
Born in Essex, Conn., came to Bay City in 1856, engaged in shipbuilding.
Biography, 1883. - Added March, 2012.
History of Bay County, Michigan - 1883.
SAMUEL J. TRIPP. ------
was born in Essex Conn., January 31, 1825. He learned the trade of a ship's carpenter, and in 1856 moved to South Bay City, where he commenced work at his trade. He built the schooner “Essex,” and the brig “Bay City.” In 1860 he went South to Mobile, Ala., where he remained until the war broke out. He returned to Connecticut, and afterward came to East Saginaw, and engaged in shipbuilding. He built the barge “Newsboy,” steamer “Reindeer,” bark “Wenona,” steamers “Evening Star” and “Hubbell,” and a number of others. In 1873 he bought an interest in the old steamer “Western World,” dry dock, and built the barge “E. J. Judd.” Mr. Tripp is sill in the ship-building business.
1874 built shipyard. - Added March, 2012.
The Bay County Story: From Footpaths to Freeways – Arndt, 1982.
In 1874 a shipyard and dry dock was built at the foot of Atlantic, just west of the Essexville boundary line, by Hubbard Church and S. J. Tripp. It operated under numerous owners until in the 1890s it became known as the Bay City Dry Dock and Shipyard, under ownship of James and James E. Davidson. This for years was a sister enterprise to the Davidson Shipyard on the West Side, which today is the expansion acquisition area of the Veterans Memorial Park. The Bay City Dry Dock tract was bought by the city some years back for location there of the municipal sewage disposal plant.
1870 – Ship-building at Bay City – Detroit Tribune, June 7, 1886.
In 1870 Capt. Tripp stepped in and built the schooner E. T. Judd of 1,000 tons and costing also about $30,000.