George L. Wilton (1854-?)
Born in Sherborne, England, reside in Pinconning, West Branch & West Bay City. City.
1892 Biography. (Added Aug., 2009)
The Histories of Saignaw and Bay Counties, Michigan - 1892.
GEORGE L. WILTON.
George L. Wilton, a member of the firm of George L. Wilton & Co., one of the stirring business men of West Bay City, is carrying on a profitable business at No. 713 Midland Street, where they have a full stock of books, stationery and wall paper. He is also city ticket agent for the Michigan Central Railroad at West Bay City. Mr. Wilson was born in Sherborne, Dorsetshire, England, March 17, 1854.
The parents of Mr. Wilton were Joseph and Elizabeth (King ) Wilton, natives of Sherborne, England. He of whom we write received an excellent education in his native land and when eighteen years of age set sail on the vessel “Scandinavia,” and after a voyage of ten days landed in Canada, where he located in Hamilton and was engaged in the office of Carter & Todd, grain and commission merchants, as cashier. Two years later he came to Pinconning, Bay County, in the interest of Van Etten, Kaiser & Co., having charge of the store and supply department for four years. At the expiration of that time he went to St. Paul, Minn., and remained for two years, when he came to Bay City and was employed with George H. Van Etten.
The gentleman of whom we write in 1879 went to West Branch, this State, where he was engaged as manager of the West Branch House. After a short time he severed his connection with that hotel and became proprietor of the Wells House in West Bay City, which he operated for two years. Then, in partnership with Lewis Potter, he purchased the Abram House in Lapeer, but disposed of it a twelvemonth later, when Mr. Wilton again located in West Bay City and for two years was an employe of the Michigan Central Railroad.
On engaging in his present business our subject, together with William H. Phillips, brought out H. H. Aplin, whose place of business was located on Linn Street. The partnership thus formed continues to the present time, Mr. Phillips being City Recorder. The manager of the store thus falls upon our subject. Until recently he has been agent for the American Express Company of West Bay City, but his business has so greatly increased that he was obliged to relinquish the duties which devolved upon him as agent. His is the only stationery and book store on the west side.
Mary Potter became the wife of Mr. Wilton, February 23, 1882. Mrs. Wilton is the daughter of Lewis Potter, who is now in business at Lapeer. Of that union two children have been born – Roy and Eva. Socially, Mr. Wilton is a member of the Wenona Lodge, F. & A. M. belonging to the Blanchard Chapter. He is also a Forester and Knight of Pythias. He is a popular and progressive citizen who is will to help forward all movements which will be for the benefit of the community.
1883 – West Bay City Directory:
- The Wells House is located on s. e. cor. Of Linn & John sts., George L. Wilton is proprietor. (Originally it began as the Bunnell House and later it was the Arlington House). At this time George's address the same as the Wells House.
- The directory also lists a H. Leonard Wilton, who is clerk at James Davidson, and boards at the Wells House.
1890-91 - West Bay City Directory:
- George L. Wilton has residence at 407 N. Linn. The business of G.L Wilton & Co. is located at 713 E. Midland st.
The Wells House was originally known as the Bunnell House built in 1868. Later under the ownership of Potter it was named the Arlington House. The orginal building is still standing with the Arlington, as a tavern.
Murdock, Charles W.
Toohey, Brigget T. (wife)
Toohey, John (son)
Toohey, Peter (son)
Toohey, Thomas (subject)
Co. Mayo, Ireland
Flager & York
Leeds Co., Can.
Opera House block
Saginaw River, MI
South Burgess, Can.
Toohey & Hagarty
West Bay City