The first federal office was established here in 1837, Judge Albert Miller being appointed postmaster of the township of Portsmouth but this was soon discontinued.
The postoffice in Hampton was established in 1846, when Thomas Rogers was appointed postmaster and mail carrier. He served until his death in 1852 when Dr. Geo. E. Smith received the appointment. The postoffice here has grown from the little office that in 1846 did not pay for handling the letters to one that does a business of near two hundred thousand dollars a year. There is now one first-class, one second-class, and eighteen other postoffices in the county to accommodate the rapidly increasing public.
_________(sic) was appointed custom house officer at this place in 18__(sic), and this office records more reports and clearances than any other custom house in Michigan.
In September 1867, B.F. Partridge received the appointment of Assessor of Internal Revenue for the Sixth Collection District of Michigan, and removed the office from Vassar, Tuscola county, to Bay City, where the office remained four years, placing it where the public could reach it easily by rail and steamer from any part of the district, which included all of the upper peninsula, and nearly one-third of the lower peninsula, bringing a large traveling public to Bay City.
In 1871 the population of Bay City having increased to more than 7,000, and being dependent upon water for household uses from surface well water and the river, and the demand of manufacturing establishments for a better water supply induced the Common Council to inaugurate some systems for supplying the city with pure and wholesome water for all purposes. After mature deliberation a board of water works was created with Hon. James Shearer as President, and the Holy (sic) system of water works was adopted, and the most complete water supply has been secured at an expense to the city of about $375,000. The city has a fine, substantial water works building and machinery, and about 33 miles of main pipes laid, including about 6 miles of 30 inch inlet pipe from the Saginaw Bay. There has been no delay in the construction of these works since their inception; and not a dollar has been known to have been misapplied during all this time in their construction and management. So much to the credit of the men having it in charge.
To close the history of the Water works without a reference to the fire department would leave it incomplete.
The first election under the village charter was held on May 2, 1859. Curtis Munger being elected President. The first meeting of the Council was held May 6, 1859, and the full organization being completed, the Council and Board of Trustees commenced making improvements, but did not reach the question of a fire department until December 19, 1859 when a committee on fire department was made, consisting of Israel Catlin, H.M. Bradley and Harmon A. Chamberlain, who procured hose and a triangle with which to give the alarm of fire. These were certainly not extravagant. Then the Tiger, a hand fire engine, afterwards called the Peninsular, was procured, and John McEwan was elected captain. Next the Red Rover was purchased by W.L. Fay. On August 10, 1863, the order was given to purchase a steam fire engine, but for some reason to be failed carried out for several years. But in October the city purchased two hand engines with hose cart all other apparatus, the engines being named Red Rover No. 1 and Protection No. 2.