Pictorial Library \ Introduction \ Homesteads | 1903 Center Ave.
Style:
-- Adaptation of English Tutor design. -- Built in 1892-93 in what was then a new subdivision, most home in it were built during the 1890-95 period.

Credits:
-- Contributed February, 2009,
by [Bill Branigan],
of Harris/Bush Realty, who created this video.

Google Maps:
-- [1903 Center Ave.]

History:

It's belief that {George W. Ames}, a realtor, had this house built shortly before 1893, when it was sold to Anna (Chappell) Chapin, who became the the first occupant of the home.

In 1896 {Orrin Bump} became owner of the homestead, after marrying the widow of Henry C. Chapin, who died May 13, 1893. Orrin was president of the Second National Bank of Bay City.

Capt. Howard and Kirty (Eddy) Shaw} purchased the home in 1904. In 1917 they hired architect D.P. Clark to prepare plans for major renovations to the house's exterior. The Shaws had two daughers, Lucy and Elizabeth, the later lived here until her death in 1973. The mother, Kirty, died in 1964. Howard descended from a family of mariners, who had business connections with the Eddy family. Howard was honored with ship being named after him. {H.L. Shaw image}

After the death of Lucy, the house was sold by the Shaw estate to Paul and Margaret Miller.



Contact Bay-Journal to share a video of your Heritage Home.