HOME - Front Page
Communties \ Bangor

Bangor Township Main Page


Township Hall: 180 State Park Drive
Post Office: Bay City, MI 48706
Phone: 989-684-8931 Website: [Bangor Twp.]

Bangor Township was organized on March 22, 1859, becoming the third township of Bay County. Within the township of Bangor was also the settlement community of Bangor established by Joseph Trombley around 1846. By 1868 its population was around 1,000, and had numerous businesses associated with shipbuilding, lumbering and salt blocks. In 1871 it was granted village status and given a post office by the State of Michigan. However, the name Bangor existed in Michigan, and the Bangor settlement was given the new name as the Village of "Banks." In 1877, the village of Banks, along with the villages of Wenona and Salburg, merged to form West Bay City.

Geographic map and area at time of organization:


{View Bay Co. Map History}

Bangor was organized in the same year as the townships of Arenac and Portsmouth.

Bangor included present townships of Fraser, Kawkawlin and Monitor.

In 1868, the northern portion of Bangor was detached to form Kawkawlin Township.

In 1869, the southern portion of Bangor was detached to form Monitor Township, this consisted of the south 30 sections of township 14 north of range 4 east, and sections 30 and 31 of township 14 north of range 5 east.

Petitioners for the new township were John G. Kiesel, John Gies, Charles Nickel, Scott W. Sayles, Frederick Kiesler and Mathew Miller, of Hampton Township. The largest land holder in Bangor at the time was Joseph Trombley.

The first town meeting was held April 7, 1859, first appointed officials were:

    Supervisor: Scott W. Sayles

    Election Inspectors: Scott W. Sayles, John Raymond, Frederick Kiesler

The township name was chosen by Thomas Whitney who was from Bangor, Maine. He owned a mill on the east side of the river.

In 1877, Bangor lost a large portion of its territory to the newly chartered community of West Bay City which in 1905 became a part of Bay City. In the 1880s, Bangor had three coal mines in operation.

The historical population of the township was mostly near the Saginaw river, along and near Marquette street which included a number of small merchant businesses.

    1880 - 271 residents.
    1894 - 843 residents.
    1900 - 1,195 residents.
    2000 - 15,547 residents.

Figures in the early history of Bangor Township:

  • George A. Mead: Born Jan. 3, 1844, in Morristown, St. Lawrence Co., N.Y. He came to this area in 1865. Married Sarah A. Wilson in 1867 who died in 1873. A year later, he married Mary A. Agnew, a teacher in Bangor for 15 years. Mead held positions as clerk and supervisor of Bangor Township.
  • John Gies:
    Born in 1827, in Wurtumburg, Germany. Immigrated to America at age of 21 and lived in Ann Arbor before coming to Bangor Township and becoming a pioneer farmer in Bangor Township. Married Christina B. Goodrich of Ann Arbor, and they had 12 children.
  • Matthew Miller:
    Born in 1833, in Prussia. Immigrated to America with his mother and three brothers when he was 19 years old. Live in New York, Detroit, St. Clair and Forestville before settling in Bay County in 1854. Worked as a mill hand at the Drake Mill for 2 years and the Keystone Mill for 5 years. Took up farming in Bangor Township in 1858. Married Polly Lovidskie, formerly of Prussia, in 1860. Raised 4 sons and 3 daughters.
  • Frank Cole:
    Born in 1854, in Bay City. Son of Capt. Darius Cole. Worked as a sailor since age 11. From 1876-79 he skippered the wrecking barge "Monitor" and in 1880, the "Metropolis". That year he married Carrie Simonto of Detroit. Later settled down to farming in Bangor.
  • John George Kiesel:
    Born 1807, in Wurtumburg, Germany. Married in 1837 to Mary ? from same place. Immigrated to America in 1851, lived in Baltimore, Maryland and Seneca Co., Ohio before coming to Bay County about 1856 where he leased 10 acres of land to farm from C.C. Chilson of Bangor. In 1855, he purchased his own land which he added to over time. Frank and Mary had nine children, six died in Germany and one in Ohio. The farm was later owned by Gottlieb Kiesel who was born in Wurtumburg, Germany in 1848.
  • George Nickel:
    Born in 1820, Germany. Immigrated to America in 1850, lived in New York before coming to Lower Saginaw (Bay City) in 1854. Resided there for 26 years working as a carpenter. Moved to Bangor in 1873 on land he purchased to take up farming. Married Mary Ann Hubner born in Germany in 1855. They had 11 children, the oldest daughter married Sabastian Pfrunner of West Bay City, he died in 1882.

Community Resources:
Government/Education Other
  • Township Offices
  • Fire Department

    Education:
  • Bangor Township Schools
  • John Glenn High School
  • None at this time.
  • Directories | Web White Pages | Web Yellow Pages | Tourist Center

    Communities Menu
    Bay City
    Bangor Twsp.
    Beaver Twsp.-Willard
    Frankenlust Twsp.
    Fraser Twsp.
    Garfield Twsp - Crump
    Gibson Twsp.
    Hampton - Essexville
    Kawkawlin Twsp.
    Merritt Twsp.
    Monitor Twsp.
    Mount Forest Twsp.
    Pinconning Twsp.
    Portsmouth Twsp.
    Williams Twsp.- Auburn
    Related Township Pages
    Heritage Library/Writings/:
    {Bangor Village}
    {Bio: Scott W. Sayles}
    Pictorial Library:
    [Wenonah Beach}

    Heritage Images
    Township Plat Map 1916


    {View}


    Wenonah Beach
    Amusement Park


    Wenona Beach 1912


    Amusement Park


    Wright's Cafe 1916

    Is This
    Your Community?

    Add to its content!
    Adopt a Piece of History!
    Contact Bay-Journal if you can contribute content on this community!