HOME - Front Page

Bay County, MI - Historical Events Timeline

Its good to now the background to understand these events. Bay City began as the settlement of "Lower Saginaw" in Hampton township, Saginaw County. Bay County wasn't organized until 1857 and its territory was much large than it today. It included what is now Arenac County. For details see: Map History of Bay County

Data: Historical sources may conflict on some dates and subjects.
Green Type: Indicates a major change to geographical area.

  1. [1492] Discovery of American Continent by Christopher Columbus.
  2. [1634] Discovery of Michigan by Frenchman Jean Nicolet.
  3. [1668] Saginaw Bay (aka: Sakinam Bay) is explored by Father Jaques Marquette.
  4. [1680] First mapping of Saginaw Bay is completed.
  5. [1686] Jesuit Engelran (Enjalran) comes to valley to establish permanent missions, but is not successful.
  6. [1701] Frenchman Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac establishes settlement post at Detroit.
  7. [1763] The French and English end 74 years of struggle and sign the Treaty of Paris. Britain gains control of French territories in America. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and northern portions of Canada above them become Indian reservation.
  8. [1776] New England colonies declare independence from England and the United States is formed.
  9. [1792] Gassette Trombley begins making frequents into Saginaw Valley bartering with Indians for furs.
  10. [1794] About this date, Chief O-ge-ma Ke-ga-to is born, elected Chippewa Chief in 1815. Spokesman before Congress in 1837 on behalf of Chippewa tribes. Died in 1840.
  11. [1796] The United States gains control of the Michigan territory from Britain.
  12. [1800] Indian Territory, established by U.S. Congress, includes current geographical area of Michigan. Note: Fur traders traveling out of Detroit frequented the Saginaw Valley for many years before the first settlement took place in near Saginaw. The area north of Saginaw (now Bay County) was generally referenced as the Lower Saginaw area. The "1st village platted" was Portsmouth located on the Saginaw River's east bank, a year later, and due north of Portsmouth, Lower Saginaw was platted for a village. Other areas of settle that followed Essex, Banks (Bangor), Salzburg and Wenona. All of these settlements except for Essex (now Essexville) merged becoming West Bay City that subsequently merged into Bay City forming the present geographical area of Bay City.
    [1805]
    Michigan Territory
  13. Established by U.S. Congress.
    [1812]
  14. Territorial war ensues between US and Britain, ends in 1814 (Treaty of Ghent).
    [1813]
  15. Louis Campau, becomes 1st permanent white settler, an Indian trading post at location that later becomes the settlement of Saginaw on west side of Saginaw river.
    [1814]
  16. Williams Bros. Mill opens in area that becomes the Saginaw settlement, "1st in valley."
    [1815]
  17. Saginaw settlement established, "1st white community" in the valley.
    [1818]
    Michilimacknac County of Michigan Territory:
  18. comprises geographical area from present Saginaw valley, northern Michigan and the Upper Pininsula.
    [1819]
  19. Saginaw Treaty signed by regional Indians tribes, turning over nearly 6 million acres to US government and opening territory for white settlements.
    Oakland County:
  20. Organized, includes Saginaw Valley & areas north to Tawas.
    [1822]
    Michigan territory:
  21. Statue law created for the recording of plats.
    Saginaw settlement:
  22. "The Town of Sagana" platted on 136 acres is filed at Detroit by Judge James Witherell & James McLoskey.
  23. U.S. troops erect fort to protect white settlers. Commanded by Major. Daniel Baker, the fort is abandoned Oct. 1823. That year his daughter, Harriet age 18, and Capt. H.S. Webb established the area's "1st marriage". Also the fort had the "1st group cemetery" for white settlers.
    [1823]
    (May 14) First marriage takes place at Ft. Saginaw between Maj. Capt. H.S. Webb & Harriet Baker. - Fort abandoned in Oct.
    [1824]
    Saginaw settlement:
  24. American Fur Co. opens trading post.
    [1829]
    Lower Saginaw:
  25. Joseph Trombley visits area north of Saginaw settlement for possibility of establishing an Indian trading post.
    [1830]
    Saginaw Twsp. of Oakland County:
  26. (Jul. 12) Organized, includes geographical area of present: Saginaw county, 4 twsps. of Midland Co., 6 twsps. of Bay and 2 twsps. of Genesee.
  27. (Aug. 25) 1st recorded marriage in new twsp. is Gov. Venton & Harriet Whitney.
    [1831]
    Saginaw twsp., Oakland Co.:
  28. 1st township meeting (Apr. 4), elected Gardner D. Williams, supervisor & E.S. Williams twsp. clerk.
  29. Alexis De Tocqueville, author from France, visits the valley, records, "one day this wilderness will become civilized and bustling with industry".
    [1832]
    Note: References below to "Lower Saginaw" represent general area north of Saginaw settlement.
    Lower Saginaw:
  30. Leon Trombley erects log-cablin east bank of river (near 4th st.), 1st permanent white settler here.
  31. Louis Masho settles south of Leon Trombley near Cass ave.
    Saginaw settlement:
  32. 1st saw mill in the valley opened by Gardiner D. Williams & Bro.
    [1833]
  33. U.S. Governement surveys Saginaw Bay coastline.
    Lower Saginaw:
  34. Joseph & Medor Trombley settle here. Joseph opens 1st trading post.
    [1834]
    Lower Saginaw:
  35. Thomas Trombley of Detroit, purchases 312 acres (22nd to Cass, River to Jennison).
  36. John B. Trudell, fur trader, erects log-cabin mile south of Leon Trombley's homestead. Trudell's wife is is daughter of Benoit Trombley.
  37. Benajmin Cushway, Frenchman, erects log-cabin on west side of river near Salzburg. Sent by U.S. government as blacksmith for Indians.
    [1835]
    Saginaw County:
  38. Organized:, includes present Bay Co. and lower portion of Arenac Co., all a part of Saginaw Twp.
    Lower Saginaw:
  39. Joseph Trombley erects 1st framed house (Water st. using wood from the Jones & Chappell mill at Pine river.
    Pine River:
  40. Jones & Campbell erects 1st sawmill north of Saginaw (now Arenac Co.).
    [1836]
    Land in this region open to purchase from Detroit land office. Later that year land office opened in Genesee Co. (Flint).
    Hampton Twsp. of Saginaw Co.:
  41. Extended north (includes area of present Bay Co.).
    Below this point: References to "Lower Saginaw settlement" & "Portsmouth settlement" are when it was a part of Portsmouth Twsp. of Saginaw Co.
    Lower Saginaw:
  42. U.S. Government surveys the area for selling properties to new settlers.
  43. John Riley sells 648 acres of his reserve to Detroit group who sell it to the Saginaw Bay Co.
  44. Benoit Trombley, trader & Indian agent, buys property (present southend of Bay City.) from nephew Joseph Trombley.
  45. (Jul) Albert Miller files deeds with Saginaw Co. for Portsmouth property.
    Portsmouth "settlement":
  46. Benoit Trombley and Joseph Trombley sell properties to Portsmouth Company established by Albert Miller to plat village.
    Below this point: "Portsmouth settlement" represents geographical area of: N=Columbus, E=Jefferson, S=32nd, W=Saginaw River.
    Portsmouth settlement:
  47. Dr. L.T. Miller, Albert's brother, is 1st family settlement that is not Indian or French to live in what is now Bay Co.
    Saginaw city:
  48. Founded by Norman Little. Population 400.
    [1837]
    Lower Saginaw "settlement":
  49. (Feb. 9) Saginaw Bay Co. reorganized, hires John Farmer to replat Lower Saginaw for village.
    Below this point: "Lower Saginaw" represents the geographical area of: N=Woodside, E=VanBuren, S=10th st., W=Saginaw River.
    State of Michigan:
  50. (Jan. 26) Michigan territory becomes 26th State of U.S., 14 organized counties, population 60,000 (17,000 live in Detroit)
  51. State begins survey to creat canal across mid-Michigan connecting Saginaw River with Grand River. (Started but ran out money.)
    Portsmouth settlement:
  52. "1st sawmill" (Harrison st. near river), opens, owned by Judge Miller, B.K. Hall and C. Barney.
  53. "Post office" opens, Albert Miller "1st postmaster", Thomas Rogers mail carrier.
    Saginaw twsp.:
  54. Flint & Pere Marquette RR extended through twsp., "1st railway in valley."
  55. Group petitions state for a lighthouse by the mouth of the Saginaw River.
    [1838]
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  56. (Mar. 1) Sidney S. Campbell settles here (1st resident of platted district), has house (cor. 5th & Water) erected by Cromwell Barney, later converts home into "1st hotel," in 1863 leases it to A.N. Rouech who renames it the Globe Hotel.
  57. Meeting at home of John Brown, Sidney S. Campbell elected "Justice of Peace," replacing Judge Wm. F. Mosley.
  58. Capt. Joseph F. Marsac settles here.
  59. Thomas Rogers moves here from Canada, employed by Judge Miller.
  60. Mary E. Barney is "1st white girl" born in Bay Co., parents Cromwell & Belinda Barney.
  61. Joseph Trombley completes "1st framed house" in Bay Co.) (aka - Centre House).
    [1839]
  62. State lets contract to build a 90 foot wide x 9-foot deep canal across Michigan connecting Lake Huron's Saginaw River to Lake Michigan's Grand River near Grand Haven. Funding dried up and the project was abandonned after 1849.
  63. (Jul. 19) Stephen Wolverton arrives to build 1st lighthouse at mouth of Saginaw river. A year later Capt. Levi Johnson finished its construction.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  64. Capt. B.F. Pierce settles here, builds store-house & dock. 1st steam boat owner in Bay Co.
  65. 1st marriage - Frederick Derr & Miss. Clark.
  66. Saginaw Twp. board approves tavern licenses for Cromwell Barney & Sidney Campbell.
    Portsmouth settlement:
  67. 1st marriage - performed by Justice Thomas Rogers.
    [1840] Lower Saginaw settlement:
  68. 1st public cemetery - Potter's field opens on cor. of Washington & 11th.
  69. Capt. J.S. Wilson settles here, skipper of ship "Mary."
    Salzburg settlement:
  70. Dr. D.H. Fitzhugh "purchases Indian reserve" on w.s. of river opposite Portsmouth settlement. (Later platted for village of Salzburg.)
    [1841]
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  71. 1st co. school dist. is formed. Bd. mbrs.- A. Miller, Sidney Campbell & C. Barney.
  72. James McCormick settles here, buys sawmill of Miller, Hall & Barney, makes 1st lumber shipment out of Saginaw Valley.
  73. Lighthouse established by mouth of Saginaw River.
    [1842]
  74. (Nov.) Great Lakes storm with 100 mph winds & 60 ft. high waves, sinks 200+ ships & kills 450 sailors.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  75. Population, about 50.
  76. 1st co. school hse. is estb., log-cabin owned by William Bonnell foot of Columbus, teacher is Miss Clark.
  77. James G. Birney, abolitionist leader, moves here with wife, Elizabeth (Fitzhugh) & family from Saginaw.
  78. Capt. John Wilson settles here, sails 1st trading vessel on Saginaw river.
  79. (Nov.)1st twins in county born to Joseph & Aleck Guillette.
    Salzburg settlement:
  80. Capt. Soloman S. Stone and wife build bark wigwan on Indian cornfield. Later, purchased "Stone" Island where he lived until his death in 1883.
    [1843]
    Hampton twsp., Saginaw County:
  81. (Mar.) Organized, includes all of present Bay County and lower portion of Arenac county.
  82. Sidney S. Campbell defeats James G. Birney in election to become 1st supervisor of twsp.
  83. Capt. John S. Wilson owner of schooner "Mary" and locate at bet. 18th & 21st sts. begins lake service to/from Detroit.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  84. Saginaw Bay Co. reorganized by owners James Fraser, James G. Birney, D.H. Fitzhugh, & Theodore Walker.
  85. James G. Birney runs as Free-soil candidate for Governor of Mich.
    [1844]
    Kawkawlin settlement:
  86. Harvey Williams, blacksmith, settles here (area of present Kawkawlin).
  87. Second saw mill n. of Saginaw erected (Kawkawlin) by James Fraser. Cromwell Barney & Irael Catlin.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  88. James G. Birney residing at 4th & Water sts., makes second attmpt for U.S. presidency as Liberty party candidate.
    [1845]
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  89. James G. Birney makes second attempt to be Governor of Mich.
  90. James McCormick buys Centre House from Joseph Trombley.
    [1846]
    Bangor settlement:
  91. Joseph Trombley buys 2,000 acres on west side of river. 1851, 25 acres are platted for village of Bangor. 1864, renamed "Banks".
    Lower Saginaw settler:
  92. J.B. and B.B. Hart settle here, fur traders & fishing, later merchants.
  93. Henry Benson settles here, lives on S. Campbell's farm, later stockholder in First National Bank.
    Saginaw Bay:
  94. 1st lighthouse opens at mouth of Saginaw river, Mr. Thompson 1st light keeper.
    USA:
  95. Mexican War begins.
    Below this point: "1st events" represent present boundaries of Bay County.

    [1847]
    Kawkawlin settlement:
  96. 1st county church, Indian Mission Methodist Church, opens.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  97. 1st county casting is done by John Burdon, later he starts up the "first iron foundry/machine shop" (site of old Industrial Works - Water & Columbus).
  98. 4th saw mill n. of Saginaw erected off Water St., by James Fraser & Irael Catlin.
    [1848]
  99. Mexican War ends. (USA casualties 13,283)
    East Saginaw settlement:
  100. Organized under name of Buena Vista.
    Frankenlust settlement:
  101. St. Paul Lutheran church founded by Rev. F. Sievers.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
  102. 1st barrel business is started by coopers Edwin Park and Curtis Munger.
  103. Judge Sanford Green, resident, is appointed to Michigan Supreme Court.
  104. Capt. Joseph Marsac appointed Indian farmer by Pres. James Polk.
  105. New settlers: Bros. J.B. & B.B. Hart, C.C.C. Chilson, Douglas Sayles, John H. Yawkey, J.T. Calkins, S.J. Clemens, Curtis Munger (partners with Edwin Parks in cooper bus.)
    Salzburg settlment:
  106. German immigrants in large numbers begin settling here.
    [1849]
    East Saginaw settlment:
  107. Established on east bank of river opposite Saginaw settlement.
    Frankenlust settlement:
  108. German immigrants led by Rev. Sievers establishes St. Paul Lutheran Church.
    Lower Saginaw village:
  109. Registered as a village.
  110. Madison Park (aka. Birney Park) on Madison ave. dedicated.
  111. William D. Fitzhugh and his wife Anne (Carroll) move here from Livingston Co., NY. William is son of Dr. Daniel H. & Anne Frisby (Dana) Fitzhugh. [1850]
    Essex settlement:
  112. Ransom Essex - settles in area east of Lower Saginaw, later he plats for village (now Essexville).
    Lower Saginaw vil.:
  113. Charles E. Jennison settles here, opens Jennison Hdwr. (Died 1864)
  114. The Press, "1st newspaper", founded by Perry Joslin. Editor James Birney. Closes 3 wks. later.
  115. Alexander, William & John McEwen settle here & build sawmill off Woodside.
  116. James Watson settles here, becomes wealthy merchant.
  117. St. Joseph Catholic church founded, "1st church" bldg. on e.s. Washington ave. bet. 2nd & 3rd sts.
    Midland County:
  118. Organized, no election held until 1855. Area included present county and portions Bay, Isabella, Clare, Gladwin and Roscommon counties.
    Pinconning settlement:
  119. Louis Campbell sets up small water mill at mouth of Pinconning river.
    [1851]
    Bangor settlement:
  120. Joseph Trombley plats 25 acres for a village of Bangor (aka. Banks).
  121. Capt. P.C. Smith starts tug service.
    Lower Saginaw settlement:
    Charles Cottrell's store at cor. Second & Water sts., first to sell kerosene lamps.
    [1852]
    Bangor settlement:
  122. Drake Bros. Mill opens portion of their land for use as cemetery (now Oakridge in Bay City).
    Lower Saginaw vil.:
  123. Methodist Church opens village's 1st church (county's 2nd) on Washington ave.
  124. St. Joseph Church opens county's 1st Catholic church on Washington ave.
  125. Wolverton House, named after Sag. lighthouse keeper, opens at Third & Water. Owner Jonathan S. Barclay.
    West side trail, Saginaw Co.:
  126. Bd., approves $100.00 to improve sandy road trail from Saginaw to Lower Saginaw vil. Their son, Richard, became a prominent businessman in Bay City.
    [1853]
    Lower Saginaw:
  127. Saw mill erected n. of Woodside by B.J. Partridge & Baughman, later becomes Pitts & Cranage.
    Salzburg:
  128. Robert & Marie Rye (Wing) Fletcher moved here from Genesee Co., NY. Establish farm 8 miles west of village.
    [1854]
    Lower Saginaw village:
  129. Trinity Episcopal church founded. "1st church bldg." on e.s. of Washington ave. bet. Center & 6th. Fr. Spaulding 1st pastor.
  130. 1st sail boat, the "Java" was built by John Weed & Geo. Carpenter at foot of 2nd st.
    Portsmouth settlement:
  131. Benjamin Partridge and family settle here. Builds sawmill along river. Later, Sheriff & 1st supv. of Portsmouth twsp., Bay Co.
    East Saginaw vil.:
  132. Incorporated as village.
    Hampton settlement:
  133. Dutch immigrants in large numbers begin settling east of Lower Saginaw vil.
    Lower Saginaw Village
    Miller hardware store opens.
    Williams twsp. of Midland Co.:
  134. Organized.
    Portsmouth settlement:
  135. William Daglish hires A. Albert to replat his land holdings, later becomes Daglish subdivision.
    Williams Twsp. of Midland Co.
  136. Samuel Rowden, David Jones & Josiah Perry, settle here.
    [1856]
    Lower Saginaw vil.:
  137. 1st bakery, owner Frederick Arnold.
  138. James Fraser moves from Saginaw and sets up permanent residence here.
  139. First Presbyterian church is established., 1st church (1861) on Washington, bet. 9th & 10th sts.
    Williams Twsp., Midland Co.:
  140. John Gaffney is 1st settler in new twsp.
  141. Fist white child born here is Clara Culver.
  142. Mrs. Charles Fitch becomes 1st teacher here.
    City of Midand:
  143. Organized: Incorporated in 1897.
    [1857]
    Bay County organized:
  144. (Apr. 29) formed from portions of Saginaw and Midland counties, and all of Arenac county. Founding townships are Williams and Hampton.
  145. (Jun. 9) 1st election of officers:
    - Sheriff: Nathan Simons
    - Clerk: Elijah S. Catlin
    - Treasurer: James Watson
    - Probate Judge: S.S. Campbell
    - Pros. Atty.: Chester H. Freeman
    - Reg. Deeds: Theodore M Bligh
    - Cir. Ct. Commr.: Stephen K. Wright
    - Co. Surveyor: James J. McCormick
    Bay City village:
  146. (Feb. 10) Lower Saginaw officially renamed Bay City.
  147. Benjamin Partridge fills sheriff position vacated by Nathan Simon, and erects small wooden could jail on 6th st. bet. Water and Saginaw. (1863 destroyed by fire.)
  148. 1st Grist Mill in co. - owners John & William McEwan.
  149. Bay City Express, a weekly newspaper is started by Capt. Little, but shuts down after 12 issues.
  150. A.S. Munger from Elkhard, IN, settlers here, enters mercantile business.
    Beaver settlement:
  151. Levi Willard settles here (now Beaver Twsp.), later village is named after him.
    Portsmouth village:
  152. First shipbuilding of any significance done by the Braddocks.
    [1858]
    Bay Co.:
  153. (Aug. 10) 1st meeting of county Bd. of Supvervisors held at Judge Campbell's house. Members: George W. Smock of Williams Twp. and S.S. Campbell of Hampton Twsp.
  154. County establishes poor farm located in Hampton Twp. Closed 1962.
    Bay City vil.:
  155. First Prebyterian church founded.
  156. Pine Ridge Cemetery founded by Judge James Birney.
  157. W.D. Braddock & Co. complete schooner "Essex" & brig "Bay City" vessels.
  158. Bay City & Alpena Line shipping firm founded by Capt. Cole.
    Essex settlement:
  159. Anthony Walraven (Walraffen) a Holland immigrant builds hotel/saloon (Now, Palace tavern in Essexville, s.e. cor. of Woodside & Main).
    Auburn vil., Williams twsp.:
  160. Organized: as a village.
    [1859]
    Bay Co.
  161. (Apr. 6) 1st session of Circuit Court held in building rented from James Fraser.
    Arenac twsp., Bay Co.:
  162. Organized (now Arenac Co.), included all of Arenac Co., plus present townships of Pinconning, Mt. Forest and Gibson.
    Bangor twsp.:
  163. Organized, (Mar. 22) 3rd twsp., from all of Hampton Twsp. west and north of Saginaw River, which included present townships of Fraser, Kawkawlin, Bangor and Monitor.
    Bay City vil.:
  164. May 2, Curtis Munger elected First village president.
  165. Leon Trombley, 1st settler here dies.
  166. John Weed becomes city's 1st marshal.
  167. Benjamin Partridge opens lumber mill at 27th & Water, last known as Ross & Wentworth mill.
  168. 1st ferry begins operating using row boats.
  169. Forest City Hotel on Washington Av. opens, owner Christopher Heinzmann.
  170. Bay City Press, 1st established newspaperis founded by Wm. Bryce. A year later it's renamed the Bay City Press and Times.
    East Saginaw City, Saginaw Co.:
  171. Village incorporated as city
    Portsmouth Twsp.:
  172. Organized (Mar 25), 4th twsp., consists of detached portion of Hampton twsp. comprising the north half of township 13 north and range 5 east, east of Saginaw River, plus north half of township 13 north of range 6 east, and sections 33,34 and that part of 32 east of the Saginaw River in township 14 north of range 5 east. In 1871, a strip of land was added from Saginaw Co., consisting of sections 19 to 36, being the south half of township 13 north of range 5 east.
    Saginaw City, Saginaw Co.:
  173. Village incorporated as city.
    [1860]
    Bay City vil.:
  174. Population is 519.
  175. 1st elections of village are held.
  176. 1st fire department opens with John McEwan as "1st captain".
  177. 1st salt well is drilled on the site of Northwester Gas and Water Pipe Co.
  178. 1st schooner built, named "Bay City," is completed by H.D. Braddock & Co..
  179. (Oct.) Masons Lodge No. 129, F.&A.M. established (chartered 1861): Wm. R. McCormick; master, Wm. A. Bryce & Nathan B. Bradley, wardens.
    Portsmouth twsp.:
  180. Tuscola Road "plank toll road", 12 miles from Bay City to Blumfield Junction opens.
  181. Portsmouth Salt Co. opens with salt well drilled near river at end of 40th St. Owners James Fraser, Dr. D.H. Fitzhugh, Curt Munger & A.S. Munger.
    [1861]
    Bay City vil.:
  182. Immanuel Luthern church founded. 1872, "1st church" (wood bldg.) was on n.w. cor. 6th & Madison, pchd. from James Fraser.
  183. N.B. Bradley & Co. opens mill on 8 blks. in Water, 13th & 16th area. Partners: N.B., F.E. & charles Bradley.
    Bay County:
  184. 1st Michigan Lancers - "Sheriff" Benjamin Partridge resigns to form local Civil War vols. to join up with Union army.
  185. Jonathan S. Barclay (1807-1887) becomes Sheriff until 1862.
    Portsmouth twsp.:
  186. 1st barrel of salt produced by Portsmouth Salt Co.
    USA:
  187. Civil War begins.
    Salzburg settle:
  188. Dr. D.H. Fitzhugh plats for village, was never was incorporated.
    [1862]
    Bay City vil.:
  189. James Fraser opens salt boring business.
  190. 1st brick structurer, a residence, is erected by Thomas Watkins on corner of Center & Washington. Later, pchd. by James Shearer.
  191. S.G.M. Gates Mill erected at foot of 6th st.
    Salzburg settlement:
  192. Platted by owner Dr. D.H. Fitzhugh, named after Australian salt mfg. town, later is part of West Bay City, now Bay City.
    [1863]
    Bay City vil.:
  193. Western Union Telegraph opens connecting Bay City to rest of country.
  194. Simmons Grocery Store at Center & Saginaw, catches fire, nearby buildings and the fire station are destroyed.
  195. Fire destroys jail on Sixth, bet. Water & Saginaw.
  196. Thomas Watson opens the Watson block, 1st in city, on n.e. cor. Washington & Center.
  197. J.A. Shannon opens carriage plant on Saginaw st. bet. 5th & 6th.
    [1864]
    Banks settlement:
  198. (May 18) 1st postoffice opens, postmaster is William Benson. Bangor renamed to "Banks" in honor of Civil War General Nathaniel Banks.
  199. 1st large shipyard opened by William Crothwaite, first build is a canal vessel called "Charlie".
    Bay City vil.:
  200. The Signal newspaper founded by William T. Kennedy. Closes 1870.
  201. Bay City Journal newspaper founded by John Culbert.
  202. Chronicle newspaper opens, owner unknown.
  203. Fraser House erected on s.e. cor. Water & Center.
  204. (Oct.) Bay City Press & Times closes when owner, Wm. A. Bryce, joins Union Army.
  205. (Oct.) Bay City Journal newspaper is started by John Cuthbert.
  206. A.N. Rouech, owner of Globe Hotel, brings 1st circus to town, tents are pitched at corner of Woodside & Jefferson.
  207. First National Bank is organized.
    Wenona settlement:
  208. Henry W. Sage and John McGraw from New York buy 116 acres, erects world's largest sawmill, company town called Lake City, then renamed Wenona.
  209. Wm. Crosswaite moves here from Buffalo, opens ship yard and dry dock.
    [1865]
    Banks settlement:
  210. John Weed opens a shipyard.
    Bay City:
  211. Population: 3,359.
  212. Incorporated Mar. 21, as city of three wards, Nathan Bradley, "1st Mayor." William T. Kennedy, "1st Recorder." Ernest Frank, "1st Treasurer."
  213. 1st county fair, organized by James Birney, is held at Washington Park (near Woodside), attracts 435 exhibits. Later fairs held off Tuscola road beyond 22nd, now off Livingston street.
  214. Fraser House, ne. cor. Center & Water, opens, owner James Fraser. 1906 destroyed by fire.
  215. Globe Hotel owner A.N. Rouech opens 1st legitimate theater on 3rd floor of hotel.
  216. 1st mass-transit system in county uses horse-drawn streetcars.
  217. 1st bridge opens, a toll bridge named the Third Street Bridge, spans the river at Third and Midland streets.
  218. E.B. Denson of 1201 Center ave. offers 1,400 apple trees for sale, the 1st cultivated here.
  219. Bay Co. Salt Company association organized to explore & promote salt mfg.
  220. Washington Park - land on s.s. of Washington ave., bet. 1st and 2nd sts., donated by Charles C. Fitzhugh for park. (In 1955 the park property was sold for commercial use.)
    Salzburg settlement:
  221. Henchel opens Salzburg Brewery, Germania st., pchd. by George Kolb in 1867, later it became Westover Brewery owned by Mauritz Westover -- in 1887 it was once again known as the Kolb Brewery."
    Wenona settlement:
  222. Post office and telegraph office open.
  223. Newcomb Clark settles here, later builds 1st brick structure on Midland st., a stationery business.
  224. Joss Ross starts brewery near river bet. Main and Arnold sts., later becomes West Bay City Brewery Co., then Phoenix Brewery until it closed in 1952 (the historic bldg. was demolished in 2004).
    USA:
  225. Civil War ends. (casualties 364,511)
    [1866]
    Bay City:
  226. Shearer Block erected on n.e. cor. of N. Water and Center, owner James Shearer.
  227. (Sep. 20) German organization, Arbeiter Unterstuetzing Verein No. 1, formed (bldg. Johnson & 7th sts.).
    Bangor township:
  228. Purchases property from Drake brothers for cemetery, later becomes Oak Ridge.
  229. Louis Longpre opens carriage shop on Saginaw st. bet. 3rd & 4th.
    Fisherville settlement:
  230. Establish from former Spicer's Corner.
    [1867]
  231. U.S. government begins 1st dredging of Saginaw river increasing it entrance from the bay from 8 to 13 feet.
    Bay City:
  232. Herman Hiss opens jewelry store in the Shearer Block on n.e. cor. of Water & Center.
  233. John Drake opens insurance agency - now, Moulthrop Clift, Inc.
  234. Miller, Martin & Manning open hardware business on Water & 5th, later location of Jennison Harware.
  235. Peoples Bank opens as 1st bank in county.
  236. (Mar 15) MI Legislature pass bill authorizing taxes for building railway between Bay City and E. Saginaw.
  237. A portion of Water & Center streets are surfaced with Nicholson pavement.
    Beaver twsp.:
  238. Organized (Feb.) 5th twsp., consisting of towhships 15,16, 17, 18, 19 & 20, north range 3 east.
    Essexville settlement:
  239. R. P. Essex plats for village of Essex, later named Essexville.
  240. Carrier Sawmill opens at rivers edge (now foot of Main).
    Portsmouth:
  241. (Nov.) Masons, Lodge No. 190, chartered. Geo. Lewis, master.
    Wenona village:
  242. (May) Chartered as village.
  243. (Jun.) David Arnold elected first village president
  244. Bunnell House is built by Bunnell brothers on Linn St., later known as Wells House, then Arlington Hotel in 1882.
    [1868]
    Auburn vil.:
  245. Methodist church built on property donated by Henry Balwinski.
    Bay City:
  246. 1st county bldg. opens on n.w. cor. Center & Madison. Moved from James Fraser's bldg. near river on 4th st.
  247. Watson Block erected on e.s. of Washington bet. Center & Sixth.
  248. Green Ridge Cemetery (aka: Eickemery) being laid out by Edward Eickemeyer.
  249. St. James Catholic church, Columbus ave., founded. Pastor Fr. Schutjes
  250. 1st sewer, one mile long, is installed along Center ave.
  251. (Jan. 8) Masons, Blanchard Chapter No. 59, Royal Arch, chartered.
  252. (Feb. 1) YMCA, organizational meeting held at Baptist church on Washington (bet. Center & 5th).
  253. Mitchell & Boutell tug fleet established by Wm. Mitchell & Capt. Benjamin Boutell. Dr. H.B. Landon, pres. 1st location, 3rd fl. of Averill Blk. on Center.
    Kawkawlin twsp.:
  254. (Jan. 7) Organized 6th twsp., consists of territory between Saginaw Bay & Beaver township, and sections 3,4,5, & 6, of Bangor townhip, plus sections 3,4,5 & 6 of Bangor, and sections, 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 of Monitor.
    Portsmouth settlement:
  255. Braddock & Co. open planing mill near 34th st. for making wood pails, later became Portsmouth & Bay City Woodenware Co.. 1875, sold to Bousfield & Co..
    Salzburg settlement:
  256. Post office opens.
    Wenona settlement:
  257. Moots Block erected by William Moots, hardware bus.
  258. Bunnel Bros. House, Linn & John sts., erected replacing old hotel. Later becomes Arlington Hotel.
  259. (Jan. 7) Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw railway connects to Wenona.
    [1869]
  260. Great Lakes storm lasting 4 days sinking 97 ships & killing many sailors.
    Bay City:
  261. Bay City high school opens, principle Prof. D.C. Schoville. 1935, bldg. demolished, repld. by new Farragut school.
  262. Library Association is formed, operates out county courthouse, co-chairman are B.E. Warren and Aaron J. Cooke.
  263. "Growler" newspaper, opens, owner Daniel R. Currey.
  264. Wm. Westover opens Westover Block, s.w. cor. Center & Washington, city's tallest bldg, opera theatre on 3rd & 4th floors. Jan. 1886 destroyed by fire.
  265. John McGraw opens sawmill at foot of 40th st. (1872 destroyed by fire)
  266. Northwestern Gas & Water Pipe Co. opens plant on N. Madison to mfr. wooden pipes (1881 renamed Michigan Pipe Co.).
  267. Rouech House opens.
    Monitor twsp.:
  268. Organized, 7th twsp., consists of south 30 section of township 14 north, of range 4 east, and sections 30 & 31 of township 14 north of range 5 east.
    Salzburg settlement:
  269. Postoffice opens Mar. 19, postmaster is George Staudacher.
    Wenona settlement:
  270. "The Weekly Herald" newspaper, opens, owner J.B. Ten Eyck.
  271. Babo block, Midland st., erected by Charles Babo grocer.
  272. (Jan. 15)Masons, Lodge No. 256 chartered. Niel Matheson, master; Hiram Bunnell & C.P. Black, wardens.
    [1870]
    AuGre twsp.:
  273. Organized (now Arenac Co.)
    Bay City:
  274. Population is 7,064.
  275. Bay City Saginaw Valley News newspaper founded Republican Assoc.
  276. Ludwig Danielewski, arrives and becomes 1st Polish immigrant settler here. Later helps with founding of St.Stanislaus church.
  277. (Jun. 8) Nights Templar, Commandery No. 26, chartered.
  278. Plans made to construct plank road connecting Bay city and Midland.
    Clayton twsp.:
  279. Organized (now Arenac Co.)
    Essexville
  280. J.R. Hall Shingle Mill opens along river off Sheurmann.
    [1871]
    Bay City:
  281. Alexander Trombley sets up small brewery at 507 N. Jefferson.
  282. Michigan Pipe Co. founded, mfrs. wood pipes, sales nation-wide.
    Banks village, Bangor twsp.:
  283. (Apr. 15) Incorporates as village, Robert Leng "1st vil. president"
    Merritt twsp.:
  284. (Jul. 8) Organized, 8th twsp., from portions of Portmouth, consisting of township 13 north of range 6 east, and sections 1,2,3,10,11,12,13,14,16 in township 13 north of range 5 east.
    [1872]
    Bay City:
  285. "Lumberman's Gazette" newspaper, opens, owner Henry S. Dow, a distant relative of Herbert Dow - fdr. Dow Chemical. Closed 1874.
  286. Leverett Pratt settles here. 1880 - forms partnership with Walter Koeppe forms Pratt & Koeppe Engineering. Designers of some of city's finest buildings.
  287. First National Bank block opens.
  288. (Fall) New County Jail erected s.e. cor Center & Jefferson. Replaced in 1840.
    Essexville village
  289. Post office opens.
    Kawkawlin settlement:
  290. Dynamite factory opens near Kawkawlin River, owner Henry H. Thomas.
    Pinconning settlement:
  291. Sawmill, opens, owners Frederick Kaiser & George Van Etten. "Sawmill town" later becomes Pinconning.
    Wenona settlement:
  292. "Wenona Herald" newspaper, opens, owner S.H. Egabroad. 1873 sold to William J. Ward. 1879 closed.
    [1873]
    Bay City:
  293. St. Stanislaus Church opens "1st co-educational" Catholic high school in US.
  294. Daily and Weekly Chronicle newspaper opens, owner James Birney. 1875, son, Arthur M. Birney, takes over. 1879 closed.
  295. Bay City Tribune newspaper opens, owners John Culbert, Edmond Kroencke, Griffin Lewis & Thomas K. Harding. 1916 consolidates with Bay City Times.
  296. Industrial Works, Saginaw st. to river's edge, founded, pchs. former McDowell Foundry, Mfrs. "locomotive cranes". 1983 closed.
  297. St. James Catholic church, Columbus ave., founded. Opens "1st Catholic high school".
  298. 1st waterworks completed using "wood piping".
  299. Michigan Central wooden railroad bridge opens north of 3rd Street Bridge.
  300. Carroll Park, 20 acres donated by Wm. & Anne (Carroll) for park. (Parents of Dr. Daniel H. Fitzhugh)
    Granton twsp.:
  301. Organized, renamed "Standish twsp." 4 mos. later (now Arenac Co.)
    Kawkawlin settlement:
  302. Kaiser and VanEtten property platted for villiage.
    Standish twsp:
  303. Organized (now Arenac Co.).
    Pinconning twsp.:
  304. Organized (Feb. 28) 9th twsp.
  305. "1st logging rail-system" in Michigan, use by Kaiser/Van Etten sawmill.
    Portsmouth Twsp.:
  306. Organized
    Portsmouth vil.,
  307. Annexed into Bay City.
    Wenona settlement:
  308. Sage block, Midland & Walnut, erected by Henry Sage, lumbermill store.
  309. J.M. Ballentine opens small shipyard north of Midland st.
    [1874]
    Bay City:
  310. Population is 13,676.
  311. St. Stanislaus Kosta Catholic church, 22nd & Grant, founded. Rev. Casimer Rochowski "1st resident pastor."
  312. St. Boniface Catholic church, founded.
  313. Hubbard Church & S.J. Tripp, open shipyard off Atlantic st., in 1890s pchd. by Davidson, renamed Bay City Dry Dock & Shipyard.
  314. (Jan. 1) Meeting at Fraser House organizes the Bay County Pioneer Society. Israel Catlin, pres.; Curtis Munger, treas.; G.W. Hotchkiss, secty.
    Wenona settlement:
  315. James Davidson opens large shipyard bet. Fisher & Crump sts. Built several vessels earlier in other yards. 1929 closed. [1875]
    Bay City:
  316. First Congregational church established. 1876 1st church bldg. opens, s.e. cor. 6th & VanBuren.
  317. Alfred E. Bousfield purchases original property of Braddock & Co. on Harrison st. and establishes Bousfield Wooden-ware Co., becomes largest in U.S.
  318. Charles Young buys half interest in Archibald Van Meter's Cream Ale Brewery, 22nd & Water sts., later became Bay City Brewery owned by Moritz bros., Louis & John.
    Essexville settlement:
  319. Dr. Agustus Harris opens 1st doctor's office & drug store.
    Fraser Township:
  320. Organized,
    Wenona settlement:
  321. Wheeler shipyard, founded by Chesley Wheeler (1823-1911), later - son Frank W. takes over business.
    [1876]
    Bangor:
  322. Summer resort opens on shore of bay at Kawkawlin river, later became O-at-ka Beach.
    Bay City:
  323. Third Street wood bridge replaced with steel structure. Tolls - 2 cents by foot, 12 cents single horse, 25 cents horse team. Old bridge used to span river at 23rd street and Salzburg ave.
  324. McEwan Block erected on w.s. of Washington bet. Center & 6th, owner John McEwan.
  325. Shearer block opens on n.e. cor. Water & Center.
  326. New iron toll bridge opens connecting Salzburg and Lafayette sts. (replaced in 1938).
    [1877]
    Bay City:
  327. Police Commission Bd. formed, establishes a uniformed police department. Nathan N. Murphy, Chief; Wm. Simmons, Capt.; Geo. A. Heemstreet, Sergeant.
    Fraser twsp.:
  328. Organized, 10th twsp.
    West Bay City:
  329. Organized, from Wenona, Banks & Salzburg. David G. Arnold, "1st mayor."
  330. Shipyard - Frank H. Wheeler and Albert A. Crane open shipbuilding company, later Crane sells his interest to Wheeler.
  331. West Bay City Military Band organized.
    [1878]
    Bay City:
  332. 1st telephone line begins operating.
    [1879]
    Bay City:
  333. James Shearer erects the Central Block on n.e. cor. of Center & Washington.
    [1880]
    Bay City:
  334. 1st hospital opened by Dr. J.A. Waterhouse, called Bay City Hospital, located on upper level in store at Fourth and Water sts.
  335. 1st higher education, Devlin Business College, is opened by Cyrus H. Devlin.
  336. Central Block erected on n.e. cor. of Center and Washington by James Shearer.
    West Bay City:
  337. American Chemical Co. opens bicarbonate of soda plant. E.P. Morgan, president.
    [1881]
    Bay City:
  338. City's charter revised, includes new commission to control police dept.
  339. Telephone toll line begins operating between Bay City and Saginaw with connections to 100 localities.
  340. 1st police chief is Nathaniel Murphy.
    Frankenlust twsp.:
  341. Organized (Feb) 11th twsp.
    West Bay City:
  342. Major fire breaks out at Waldbauer & Szysperski tailor shop, spreds easterly consuming structures of Fisher & Norrington, W.W. Vedder, Aplin block, postoffice, and Opera House.wooden buildings are gutted -- including the Fisher Block, post office and near-by Opera House.
  343. Lumbermen's State Bank building, Midland & Linn, erected. S.O. Fisher, president.
  344. Crump Manufacturing Co. founded by Rousseau O. Crump.
    [1882]
  345. U.S. government begins Saginaw river dredging to increase its depth to 14 feet to Saginaw.
    Bangor:
  346. Richard Armstrong, owner of Handy Boy Line, opens Reservation Beach resort on shore of bay near lighthouse.
    Bay City:
  347. Eastern High School, Madison & Columbus, opens. H.S. students transferred from Farragut school. (YMCA now located on property.)
  348. 1st baseball team organized, named the Bay City Independents.
  349. 1st electric street lights in Michigan are operating to the delight of citizens.
  350. Grand Army of the Republic, U.S. Grant post #067, founded. Closed 1940.
  351. Wilson Hoop Co. open hoop mfg. plant along river at ft. of 9th. Partners: Fred Wilson, Isaac Pierce, Alex Bush, & W.G. Pierce.
  352. First baseball team began play.
    Linwood settlement:
  353. Platted for village, population is listed at 210.
    West Bay City:
  354. Fisher block, Midland st., erected by Sidney O. Fisher.
  355. Mosher block, Linn st., erected by George Mosher, hardware bus.
  356. F.W. Wheeler shipyard expands buying adjoining Crosthwaithe shipyard.
    [1883]
    Bay City:
  357. Dolsen school, N. Sherman st., opens. Principle Miss Susie Holmes. Named after John J. Dolsen, lumberman & part owner of Dolsen, Chapin & Co.
    Bay County re-organized:
  358. Townships of Clayton, Mason, AuGres, Whitney, Deep River, Arenac and Standish are detached to form Arenac County.
    Below this point: References to "county" represent geographical area of present Bay County.
  359. 1st stone-road district in Michigan is completed in Bay City, West Bay City and six townships vastly improving road conditions between these communities.
    Sage Library opens, gift from by Henry Sage include $10,000 for books, librarian is Mrs. M.F. Ostrander.
    Essexville village:
  360. Incorporate as a village.
    [1884]
    Bay City:
  361. Shearer block opens, n.w. cor. Center & Adams, owner James Shearer.
  362. Corbin school (Jan), Litchfield st., opens. Miss Nora Thomas teacher. Land donated by Capt. Benjamin Pierce.
    Second baseball team is organized.
    Kawkawlin Twsp.:
  363. 1st postmaster is Frank Goulet.
    West Bay City:
  364. Sage Library, s.e. cor. Wenona & Midland, opens. Donated by Henry W. Sage.
  365. Grand Army of the Replublic, Henry S. Barnett post #278, founded.
  366. Lewis block, Midland & Henry, erected by Lewis Bros., hardware bus.Closed 1928.
  367. Handy Bros. Mill opens at s.e. cor. Henry & Main (1887 destory by fire & rebuilt).
    [1885]
    Bay County:
  368. Lumber strike shuts down over 100 mills . Striker's theme, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust" (11 hours pay for 10 hours worked).
  369. Saginaw Bay shorline roadway is carved out between Bay Co. and Tawas.
    Beaver Twsp.,
  370. 1st postmaster, is J.F. Ittner.
    [1886]
    Bay City:
  371. (Jan 17) Westover block destroyed by fire. Owners Wm. Westover & Vorhees heir.
  372. (Sep. 17) Woods Opera House, s.e. cor. Washington & 6th, opens. 1st bldg. designed for a theater. 1902 destroyed by fire.
  373. Standard Hoop Co. opens hoop mfg. plant on 10 acres off s.e. cor. of Morton & Kelton. Partners John M. Kelton, Harrison Miller, & Ephraim Kelton.
  374. Boxer George "Kid" Lavigne, born on west side, wins light weight title in London, England.
    Garfield twsp.:
  375. Organized (Oct. 19) 12th twsp.
    Williams Twsp.:
  376. Bay City & Battle Creek RR opens, later owned by Michigan Central.
    [1887]
    Bangor Twsp.:
  377. Wenona Beach Amusement Park opens, on shore of bay near Saginaw river.
    Bay City:
  378. Federal court is established.
  379. John Cotter wins Michigan Trap-shooting Championship, repeats in 1888.
    Garfield twsp.:
  380. 1st supervisor, Elof Johnson is elected.
    [1888]
    Bay City:
  381. Rolf Armstrong is born, becomes famous pin-up artist of 20th century.
    Gibson Twsp.:
  382. Organized (Apr. 1) 13th twsp.
    West Bay City:
  383. Bonds issued for to buildmain sewer system.
  384. First fire department organized, consists of 21 members, 3 hose companies & 1 fire engine.
    [1889]
    Bay City:
  385. Third Street Bridge rebuilt using iron opens. Steel part are used to construct the new Cass Ave. Bridge.
  386. Lincoln school, Lincoln st., opens. Principle Miss. Grace McLean.
    West Bay City:
  387. 1st electric street railway in county begins operating.
    [1890] Bay City:
  388. Third Street iron bridge replaced with steel structure.
  389. Fairgrounds relocates to property off Livingston street.
  390. (Jul 5) Union block on Water st. destroyed by fire. Owners H.Griswood & C.C. Fitzhugh.
  391. Woods Opera House opens s.e. cor. Washington & Sixth, city's 1st theater building, decades later location of Washington Theater.
    Kawkawlin:
  392. Napolean Arduoin opens ashery plant (bus. later owned by Gorman O. Martin).
    Midland:
  393. Herbert H. Dow, founder of present Dow Chemical Co., arrives.
    Saginaw & East Saginaw cities:
  394. Merge to form present city of Saginaw.
    West Bay City:
  395. Loose Block erected by J.F. William Loose, furniture dealer.
    [1891]
    Auburn vil:
  396. Grand Old Army of the Republic, Marshall W. Chapin post #407, founded. Closed 1913.
    Bay City:
  397. Elm Lawn Cemetery opens on Ridge Rd.
  398. 1st vocational school in Michigan opens in Bay City.
    Mt. Forest twsp.:
  399. Organized (Jan. 14) 14th twsp.
    West Bay City:
  400. New police department replaces one ran by partisanship interests.
  401. Swart Building erected by Stephen Swart for his jewelry business.
    [1892]
    Bay City:
  402. Major Fire - Miller & Turner sawmill end of 31st st., catches on fire, spreads to a 40 acres in city -- destroys 232 homes, 38 barns, 2 churches, 33 businesses. 1300 are left homeless.
  403. National Cycle Mfg. Co. opens on Woodside, persently GM Powertrain plant. Partners: F.C. Finestaedt & Henry B. Smith.
  404. Grand Army of the Republic, H.P. Merrill post #419, founded. (Closed 1926)
  405. Michigan Central Depot opens off Woodside, one block e. of Madison.
    West Bay City:
  406. Opera House, Walnut & Vermont, erected. Incls. city hall, merchant stores.
    [1893]
    Bay City:
  407. Cass Avenue Bridge, built using some materials salvage from old Third Street Bridge, opens providing southend river crossing (abandoned in last 1950s).
  408. Belinda Street Bridge opens connecting Belinda (e.s.) & Patterson (w.s.). (Closed 1973)
  409. Electric street car system begins operating, replacing horse-drawn street cars. 1921 closed by competition from "Jitney buses."
  410. Government building (post office) opens on Washington bet. Third and Fourth sts.
  411. (Feb) Masonic Temple new bldg. at Madison & 6th dedicated.
    [1894]
    Bay City:
  412. John Clarkson (1861-1909) retires holding record as professional baseball's winningest pitcher. Opens cigar store on Center Ave. (Elected into Hall of Fame)
    West Bay City:
  413. Rousseau O. Crump, former mayor of West Bay City, is elected to Congress, represents 10th Dist. of Michigan. (Village of Crump is named after him.)
    [1895] Bay County:
  414. Saginaw & Bay Rapid Transit Co. opens electric railway on west side of river between Saginaw and Bay City. Fare 20 cents.
    [1896]
    Auburn vil.:
  415. 1st telephone system in operation.
    Bay City:
  416. Riots - accusation by 13 year old girl of being molestated by a priest splits members of St. Stanislaus Church -- sporadic riots last 18 months before Pope Leo XIII intervenes reducing hostilities.
  417. Ridotto Building is erected on s.w. cor. of Center and Adams - destroyed by fire in 1940.
  418. Fire partially destoys Republic House.
  419. (Jun.) Bay City native, George "Kid" Lavigne defeats England's Dick Borge to become world light-heavy weight champion (holds title until 1899).
    Frankenlust Twp.:
  420. (Dec. 11) Major fire destroys much Amelith.
    [1897]
    Bay City:
  421. New City Hall opens on Washington ave. (still in service today).
  422. (Jan. 20) Masons, Royal Arch Chapter No. 136, chartered.
  423. Alterman, Flajole gets resolution passed permitting horse racing on 5th ave. from Park to Lincoln.
    Monitor twsp.:
  424. 1st county coal mine opens, followed late by mines townships of Bangor, Frankenlust, Williams and Merritt.
    [1898]
    Bay City:
  425. North American Chemical Co. opens on Harrison & 41st. on the former McGraw Mill property. Primarily producing salt, it became largest in world.
    Crump settlement:
  426. 1st postmaster is William R. Stevens.
    Essexville:
  427. 1st sugar plant in Michigan, opens on Scheurmann st. near river's edge.
    Fisherville settlement:
  428. St. Anthony Catholic church, Midland rd., founded. Rev. Fr. Joseph Kaminiski 1st resident pastor.
    USA:
  429. Spanish American War begins.
    [1899]
    Bay City:
  430. 1st devoted hospital building, Mercy Hospital, opens in converted home of former Mayor Nathan Bradley. [1900]
    Bay City:
  431. North American Chemical Co., a branch of United Akali Co. of England, opens on 1/2 mile track along Harrison st. (former location of McGraw Sawmill).
    Linwood:
  432. Cottage Grove Summer Home Owners Assoc. formed to build cottage district along Linwood Beach.
    [1901]
    Bay City:
  433. Annie Taylor, a NY native, residing in Bay City, makes history as 1st over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
  434. Dr. William C. Cunningham elected mayor.
  435. Bill Hewitt is born, goes onto professional football, dies in 1947, inducted into Hall of Fame 1971.
    Bay County:
  436. Henry H. Aplin, elected to Congress, 10th District.
    [1902]
    USA:
  437. Spanish American War ends. (USA casualties 2,446)
    [1903]
    Bay City:
  438. (Nov.) Bay City Club opens new building for businessmen on east edge of Battery Park.
    [1904]
    Bay City:
  439. 1st public kindergarten, Garfield School, opens.
  440. Pere Marquette Railroad opens new station south of county building.
  441. Woods Opera House (Aug. 29) is destroyed by fire. Eugene Zaremba died.
  442. Brooks Boat Building Co. manufacturers of knock-down boats founded by Clifford Brooks.
  443. Eastern and Western high schools become founding members of Saginaw Valley Sports League.
  444. (Abt.) Bay City Yacht Works begins building knockdown boats. Owner Wm. C. Schindehette.
    Saginaw Valley:
  445. Flooding - Spring thawing following one of the worst winters on record, causes swelling of rivers in the valley and devastating floods coverlowland areas -- including city streets in Bay City and Essexville.
    [1905]
    Bay City & West Bay City merge:
  446. (Apr. 10) West Bay City merges with Bay City. Gustive Hine is 1st major of new city. New carter wasn't approved until 1907.
  447. Harry J. Defoe, former principal of Park school, partners with his brother and brother-in-law to open Defoe Boat & Motor Works on what is now Wenonah Park - later, relocates on west side, then on east side near Woodside. Closed in December 1972.
  448. Bay City Boats, Inc. established as part of Defoe Boat & Motor Works, make pre-fab "knocked down" boat kits. Directors - Russell F. Beck & Leonard C. Humes.
  449. Fire destroys Woodside school, Woodside st.. Replaced with new bldg. same year.
  450. Michigan Central steel railroad bridge north of Third Street Bridge opens replacing wood structure.
    [1906]
    Bay City:
  451. North American Construction Co. (aka. Aladdin Company) opened by brothers, William J. and Otto O. Sovereign, first provide pre-fab "kit" homes. Closed in 1981.
  452. Bay City Times newspaper founded by Wilbert H. Gustin. 1916, Gustin buys Bay City Tribune, consolidates two papers as the Bay City Daily Times. 1935, "renames" it to The Bay City Times.
    [1907]
    Bay City:
  453. New city charter established.
  454. St. Hedwig mission organized, establish as church in 1911.
    [1908]
    Bay City:
  455. (Nov. 9) Wenonah Hotel opens on s.e. cor. Water & Center on former property of Fraser House.
    [1909]
    Bay City:
  456. (May 17) John Clarkson Ballpark dedicated, (Center past Livingston), named after local Hall of Fame pitcher.
    USA:
  457. 1st mile of congrete highway in country was laid down on Woodward ave. in Detroit.
    [1910] Crump:
  458. Explosion at Princing Mill kills seven workers, fire destroys the last mill of the eight once in this area.
    Bay City:
  459. Eastern High School, State Football Champions (n.w. cor. Columbus & Madison) - team completes perfect season, out scoring opponents 306 to 0.
  460. Roy O. Woodruff is elected mayor.
    [1911] Bay City:
  461. St. Hedwig Catholic church, Kiesel st., founded. Fr. Oprychalski 1st resident paster. Land donated by A. Piechowiak.
  462. (Mar. 16) Detroit, Bay City & Western Rairoad (aka Handy Railroad) extends line to thumb communities.
    [1912]
  463. (Feb. 22-23) Major snow storm with 50 mph winds hits county dumping 20" of snow with 5' high drifts & 300 coal miners stranded in Auburn.
    Bay City:
  464. Natl. magazine announces the Wenona Motor Car Co. organized by Detroiter E.G. Porter of Detroit and bldg. leased on 11th & Saginaw sts in Bay City (Never materialized).
  465. Riot breaks out at Michigan Republican Convention being held at National Guard Armory on Washington ave. - Michigan National Guard is called in to restore order. - Split convention contributes to formation of the Progressive Party (Bull Moose) led by Teddy Roosevelt.
  466. County's 1st pilot, Lionel H. DeRemer, graduates from Wright Brothers' School at Long Island, NY -- Later, he teaches flying lessons in south-end, now James Clements Airport.
    Kawkawlin twsp.:
  467. Counties 1st concrete road, now old Kawkawlin road, is completed.
    [1913]
  468. (Nov. 8) Great Lakes storm with 6-80 mph winds & 35 ft. high waves sinks 12 ships & take 254 lives.
    [1914]
    USA:
  469. World War I begins.
    [1915] Bay City:
  470. Brothers Robert & Otto Toeppner set up auto mfg. shop at 209-211 Salzburg ave., make two trucks, then closed.
    [1916]
    Bay City:
  471. William Duran buys National Natco truck & bicycle plant on Woodside, converts it to auto parts manufacturing of Chevrolet -- employed up to 6,000 at its peak.
  472. Union Motor Company truck factory opens at 900 Patterson st.
  473. Chevrolet Motor Co. buys National Cycle Manufacturing assets to mfr. automotive parts.
  474. (Nov.22) First color movie shown at Washington Strand Theatre using technology developed by local entrepreneur Walter D. Young.
    World:
  475. Spanish Flu-Epidemic - world epidemic breaks out, over 850 local residents are affected and over 100 die. All public meetings are banned.
  476. Wilson Body Co., Farragut st. bet. 25th & 27th sts, opens auto-body mfg. plant.
    [1918]
    USA:
  477. Nation hit by one of the coldest winters on record. Coal shortage forces businesses and public places conserve coal by reducing working hours.
  478. World War I ends. (USA casualties 116,516)
    [1919]
    Bay City:
  479. Election places Sage Library under the Bay City Library Board, required by Carnegie Inst. for Central Libary on Center Ave.
  480. Regeant Theater opens in Davidson Block on Washington ave.
    [1921]
    Bay City:
  481. H.W. Stickle becomes 1st City Manager of newly establashed municipal government.
  482. Central high school, opens on Columbus ave. Principle N.B. Sloan.
    [1922]
    Bangor twsp.:
  483. Bay City State Park opens along shores of Saginaw Bay.
    Bay City:
  484. Central Library, Center ave. opens. Built with assistance of Carnegie Instute.
  485. Central HS & TL Handy Jr HS are opened, Eastern and Western high schools are converted for intermediate grades.
  486. Duran Bus Lines begin service (1946 purchased by Balcer Bros.).
    [1923]
    Bay City:
  487. 1st line of duty death by police officer is Frank Kowalkowski when fatally shot 7 times by robbers at 35th & Broadway.
  488. Bay City, along with Everett, WA, Newburgh, NY are 1st in nation to replace streetcars with buses.
    [1924]
    Bay City:
  489. Saginaw River Road opens linking Bay City and Saginaw.
  490. Local professional baseball champs, known as Bay City Wolves, wins the Michigan-Ontario championship.
  491. WBCM radio station begins broadcasting.
  492. Street car transit service ends. [1925]
    Bay City:
  493. Junior College opens on third floor of Central High School.
    [1928]
    Bay City:
  494. 1st air mail service arrives at south end air strip, later named James Clements Airport.
  495. Habitat Shops, Inc. furniture manufacturing business founded.
    Pinconning:
  496. Pinconning Press & Bay County News weekly newspaper opens, owner unknown. Closed 1940.
  497. Pinconning Journal weekly newspaper opens, owner unknown. Close 1943.
    [1929]
    World:
  498. Stock market crash - crisis on Wall Street, harsh recession ensues leading to the Great Depression.
    [1930]
    Bay City:
  499. James Clements Airport is officially dedicated.
    [1931]
    Bay City:
  500. Bay City Bank closes, 1st local bank casualty of Great Depression.
    [1934]
    Bay City:
  501. County Building building opens on n.w. cor. of Center & Madison, still in use.
    [1935]
  502. (Feb. 27) Michigan shocked by effects of northeastern earthquake.
    Bay City:
  503. Farragut school, Farragut st., opens replacing school bldg. built in 1869.
  504. Rose & Wenworth Lumbermill, 27th & Water Sts., is demolished.
    Bay County:
  505. Earth quake (Nov. 1) shocks local citizens - no damage done.
    [1936]
    Bay City:
  506. Electric Auto-Lite Co. opens auto parts mfg. in former Wildman Rubber Co. plant on Morton st. Later, became Prestolite Div. of Eltra Corp.
    [1937]
    Bay City:
  507. 1st death sentence in Michigan is given to Anthony Chebatoris tried in US District Court in Bay City, he's convicted of bank robbery-murder, a year later he was hung, the only execution in Michigan.
    [1938]
    Bay City:
  508. New steel & concrete Lafayette Bridge opens (Salzburg and Lafayette), replacing previous iron bridge built in 1876.
    [1940]
    Bay City:
  509. (Sep.) Judge Thos. E. Webster, Bay County's last Civil War veteran died.
    [1941]
    USA:
  510. (Dec) U.S. enters World War II after Japan surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.
    [1942]
    Bay County:
  511. Rush Howard Willard dies, a soldier and combat pilot becomes the county's 1st WWII casualty.
    [1943]
    Bay City:
  512. Major fire destroys Cash Store & Moose Lodge (shared building on s.w. cor. Center & Adams), Fire Captain Louis A. Villaire is killed.
  513. Fire destroys Eastern Junior High School, formerly Eastern High School (Columbus & Madison).
    Saginaw Valley:
  514. Tri-City Airport opens, jointly operated by Bay, Saginaw and Midland counties (now, MBS International).
    [1945] USA:
  515. World War II ends. (US casualties 405,399)
    [1946]
    Bay City:
  516. United Carbon Products, founded by George T. Serman & Lynn Brooks, purification of graphite. Presently Ultra Carbon Div, Carbone of America.
    [1947]
    Auburn City
  517. (Dec 8) Incorporated as city
    [1948]
    Bay City:
  518. T.L. Handy Junior High school is converted to a full high school.
  519. Bay City All-Stars semi-pro team began play in the new Southern Michigan Football League. A year later the Bay City Blazers became the city's 2nd team in the league.
    1949
    Bay City:
  520. Bay City Blazers Football semi-pro team began play. [1950]
    USA:
  521. Korean War begins. 1943 ends (USA casualties 54,246)
    [1954]
    Bay City:
  522. St. James School opens at 14th & Monroe.
  523. Fire destroys Watson-Richardson Mill (Middle Grounds), shutting down the last sawmill.
    [1955]
    Bay City:
  524. Cass ave. bridge closed and abandoned.
    [1957]
  525. (Nov. 1) Mackinaw Bridge opens connection lower and upper Michigan.
    Bay City:
  526. Veterans Memorial Bridge opens, 1st four-lane bridge in county.
    [1959]
  527. St. Lawrence Seaway opens.
    Bay City:
  528. Central High School voted mythical State Champions. Repeated 65, 67, 69 & 72.
    [1961]
    Bay City:
  529. Handy High School football team, Valley & mythical State champions.
    Saginaw Valley:
  530. Delta College opens in Frankenlust Township replacing Bay City Junior College.
    [1963]
    Bay City:
  531. John Clarkson, former resident and professional player of 1880s is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
    [1964]
    Bangor twsp.:
  532. Wenonah Beach Amusement Park closes.
    Essexville:
  533. Terry McDermott wins only U.S.Gold medal at Winter Olympics. (1972, inducted in MI Hall of Fame)
    USA:
  534. Vietnam War begins. 1975, war ends. (USA casualties 90,198)
    [1972]
    Bay City:
  535. (Dec.) Defoe Shipbuilding Co., the last of the city's large shipyards closes.
    [1973]
    Bay City:
  536. (Sep.) New Independence Bridge opens, replacing old Belinda Street Bridge.
    [1975]
  537. Bay Metro Transit begins operations.
    [1976]
    Bay City:
  538. (Jun. 18) Third Street Bridge collapses into river after being hit by lake freighter in middle of night. (Replaced with Liberty Bridge off Woodside.)
    [1977]
    Bay City:
  539. (Dec. 10) Wenonah Hotel built in 1908, is destroyed by fire.
    [1980]
    Michigan:
  540. (Jul. 28) Michigan shocked by effects of northeastern earth quake.
    [1981]
    Bay City:
    Trombley House move from 24th & Water across river to Veterans Memorial Park.
    Aladdin Company, established in 1906 as mfr. of kit homes, shuts down.
    [2004]
    Bay City:
  541. Kolb Brewery building was proclaimed unsafe and demolished.
    [2006]
    Bay City:
  542. (Jan. 6) Central Library, built in 1922, first library on east side of river, is closed.