HOME - Front Page
Communties \ Pinconning

Pinconning Township Main Page

Pinconning Township Hall: P.O. Box 58 (Codey Rd.)
Post Office: Pinconning, MI 48650 / Phone: 989-879-4018
Pinconning City Hall: 208 S. Manitou Street
Post Office: Pinconning, MI 48650 / Phone: 989-879-2360

Pinconning Township was organized on February 28, 1873, becoming the ninth township of Bay County. It was organized at the same time as the townships of Deep River and Standish which were are now a part of Arenac County. -- {View} historical maps reference.

Geographic area at time of organization:

Consisted of all of township 17 north, ranges 3, 4 and 5 east. Created at same time as the townships of Standish and Deep River.

In 1890 the size of Pinconning was reduced when its western half was used to form Mount Forest Township.

The first election was held at the warehouse of Kaiser and VanEtten on April 7, 1873, elected to office were:

Supervisor: Joseph U. Meechin
Inspectors: E.B. Knight, Louis Pelkey, H. Packard

Historical population:

1894: 2,166 residents
1900: 2,104 residents
2000: 3,619 residents

Pinconning Township once comprised all of the northern portion of Bay County. In subsequent years, portions of its land was given up to the new townships of Gibson (1888) and Mount Forest (1890).

The name "Pinconning" comes from the Indian word "O-pin-nic-con-ing", meaning "potato place". Vast amounts of wild potatoes grew in this area and were a ready food supplement, thus the reference to Pinconning, the potato place.

The area was a popular hunting and fishing ground for the Indians. The the White Feather River in the north of the township was named by the Indians after a popular Indian chief.

Among the early white settlers were Louis Campell who owned and operated a small water-mill at the mouth of the Pinconning in 1850 and L.A. Pelkey who in came in 1858 and took up fishing.

The Pinconning area was very much a dense forest of pine which were tapped by logging interests beginning in the early 1860s, with Frederick A. Kaiser of Kawkawlin as one of those timbering men. In 1871 a large forest fire destroy a good portion of lumber.

The village of Pinconning was laid out in 1873 by Kaiser and VanEtten leading further settlements that ultimately developed into the city of Pinconning.

The Mackinaw Branch of the the Michigan Central Railroad was built during the lumber boom with a station at the village of Pinconning, Woodville and White Feather.


Pinconning is widely referred to as the "Cheese Capital of Michigan", a title that has endured beyond the days when cheese manufacturing domimate the community.

Pinconning shares a northern border with Arenac County which makes it a natural gateway for travels to and from major points the counties of Bay and Arenac. I75 and M13 traverse the township in a north-south direction .

Community Resources:
Government/Education Other
  • None at this time.

  • Pinconning Area School District
  • Pinconning Area Chamber of Commerce
  • Bay County Pinconning Park
  • Pinconning History
  • Directories | Web White Pages | Web Yellow Pages | Tourist Center

    Communities Menu
    Bay City
    Bangor Twsp.
    Beaver Twsp.-Willard
    Frankenlust Twsp.
    Fraser Twsp.
    Garfield Twsp - Crump
    Gibson Twsp.
    Hampton - Essexville
    Kawkawlin Twsp.
    Merritt Twsp.
    Monitor Twsp.
    Mount Forest Twsp.
    Pinconning Twsp.
    Portsmouth Twsp.
    Williams Twsp.- Auburn

    Are You From This Community?
    Help us add to its content
    by sharing information!
    Adopt a Piece of History!
    Contact Bay-Journal to contribute content.