GO HOME: Front Page
Map Notes
Pine Ridge was established in 1858 by Judge James Birney, and was Bay City's first formal cemetery on the east side of the Saginaw River. Prior to this, burials were made at "Potter's Field" located at just south of Columbus and east of Washington avenue. Many of the city's early pioneers and Civil War veterans are buried at Pine Ridge.
-- The abandoned cemetery is maintained by the New Dimension, non-profit organization, and volunteers to preserve the cemetery and the history it represents. Donations are needed to continue improvements. View: Webpage
-- View RootsWeb (MiBay) / Burial Index: [Pine Ridge] [Seamans]

* Maps Library \

Pine Ridge Cemetery
s.e. cor. Ridge and Tuscola Roads
Bay City, Bay Co., MI

  • Contributed by Alan Flood (August 2003)


    Images (Click to enlarge.) | Sign | Veterans Area | Birney | Fraser | Metal Marker | View {Cemeteries Pictorial}

    Description of Pine Ridge Cemetery from the 1868-9 directory:
    This retired and quiet rest place of those who once took part in life's busy scenes, and who, though dead, yet live in the memories and hearts of the mourners, is beautifully situated at the head of Twelfth street, on the Bay City and Tuscola plank road. It is an encloser of five acres which was set apart for the purpose by Mr. James Birney, the propritor, on the occassion of the death of a younger brother, to whom he was much attached. The soil is well adapted to the purpose for for which it is used -- being light, easily dug at all seasons, and requiring little draining. When mixed with a mold which is procurable in the vicinity, it is very farvorable for the growth of plants such as are generally chosen to adorn and beautify the places of the dead. The ground is laid out tastefully in a variety of shapes, and the divisions names appropriately after choice fruits and flowers. The Proprietor has expended a good deal in fencing and otherwise improving the place, and has lately erected a handsome iron gate and stone gateway at the entrance, and the friends of its dead cannot fail to appreciate the efforts that are being made to make the place somewhat attractive to the living when they visit it from to time.

    {Click to enlarge.} Note: Very large map, toggle between full view and close up to locate plat #.

    Note: Shown on the plat map are two buildings, which by analysis of the hand writing, appears to have been added after the original plat was completed. The bottom one is building is marked "home." City directories from 1883 until 1887, state George D. Seaman, sexton, lived on the property, which may very well have been the home shown on the this plat map. The other building was most likely used to store equipment.

  • Be A Participant -- Contribute to Bay-Journal!