December 2007

Dec. 6, 2007 - Biography: Henry H. Thomas (1843-1908)
-- by James Petrimoulx.

Thomas was born in Stafford, NY, and became an explosives engineer while in the Civil War. He moved to Bay City in 1872 and started the Ajax Dynamite Factory at Kawkawlin, which had a number of fatal exposions. A portion of his biography is devoted to his daughter, Elizabeth, who became quite prominent by help to preserve the French Quarter in New Orleans.
  • Heritage/People/ [View]
    Dec. 4, 2007 - Pictorial: Trombley House History
    Historical and contemporary photos of the Trombley House built by Joseph and Medor Tromble in 1837/38. The frame house was built in the time period when the villages of Portsmouth and Lower Saginaw were being platted, both are now a part of Bay City. Images includes features of the original construction rarely seen by the public.
    Pictorials/Homes [Trombley House]
    Dec. 3, 2007 - Death Notice of Dr. Henry B. Landon (1929).
    (Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx)
    Dr. Landon (1840-1920), born in Monroe, MI, was a resident of Bay City as surgeon. After retiring he moved back to Monroe where he lived at his son's home.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [View]
    Dec. 1, 2007 - Civil War Veterans' Death Notices. (Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx)
    Two death notices in the mid-1930s of Civil War veterans.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {James Gordon (1844-1933)}
  • Heritage/Writings/ {John Wilbur (1842-1936)}
    November 2007

    Nov. 25, 2007 - Directory of Lumber Mills in 1868-9.
    Lists lumber mills for Bangor, Bay City, Portsmouth and Wenona. Includes location, owner, mill's capacity, and brief history.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {View}
    Nov. 20, 2007 - Jonathan & Sarah (Sweney) Barclay.
    Jonathan and Sarah owned the Wolverton House, one of the more prominent hotels Bay City's early history. Sarah's biography as been added to Jonathan's history page.
  • Heritage/Writings {View}
    Nov. 19, 2007 - Biography of George W. Ames (1852-?)
    Ames worked in railroads, including the Detroit & Bay City R.R., which lead to his moving to Bay City in 1874. and his entry into real-estate, which gained him considerable wealth. In 1900, he purchased the Pine Ridge Cemetery from the Birney family. He was married to Jennie A. Thompson, their residences was at 908 Center Ave.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {View}
    Nov. 19, 2007 - Biography of George A. Allen (1835-?)
    Allen settled on the west side of Bay City in 1866, about the same time as the village of Wenona was being developed by the Sage & McGraw mill, and later became prominent as an insurance agent. He and his wife, Emma (Hicks), lived on the corner of Raymond and John streets.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {View}
    Nov. 18, 2007 - Biographies for several members of Shearer Family.
    Brothers, James and George (pictured here) Shearer came to Bay City from Detroit around 1864, and both quickly became prominent businessmen. Added are 1892 biographies for George H. and his son Frank H., and two sons of James, Chauncy and G. Henry. The sons' biographies can be linked to from their father's page.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {James} {George}
    Nov. 15, 2007 - Biography of Thomas Cranage (1834-1911).
    Thomas Cranage has earned not only a place in the history of Bay City, but as a major contributor to the history of sugar-beet production in Michigan and the United States. Mr. Cranage spent most of his adult life in Bay City, and was married to Julia Pitts, the daughter of the reknown capitalist, Samuel Pitts.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [View]
    Nov. 14, 2007 - The Trombley Family Histories
    Individual historical biographies have been added or updated for members of this pioneer family associated with the historic Trombley House:
    - Joseph Trombley and his family - Sarah (wife), and children Joseph M., James M., Adeline, Theodore and David.
    - Medor Trombley and his son, Daniel.
    - The Trombley Genealogy page has also been updated, which includes links to the individual histories above.
  • Heritage/People/Trombley Family Tree/ [View]
    October 2007

    Oct. 30, 2007 - Michigan 1877 Map.
    Zoomable pdf file detailed maps of the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan. Details, includes railroads.
  • Maps Library/ {View}
    Oct. 30, 2007 - Bay County, MI 1916 Map.
    Zoomable pdf file detailed map showing township sections and locations of schools, churches, etc.
  • Maps Library/ {View}
    Oct. 17, 2007 - Biography of William D. Fitzhugh (1824-1889)
    William D. Fitzhugh, the son of Dr. Daniel H. and Anne Frisby (Dana) Fitzhugh, moved to Lower Saginw (Bay City) in 1853. His biography includes references to members of the Fitzhugh and Carroll families from Livingston Co., NY, that were active land speculators in the early years of the Saginaw Valley.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {View}
    Oct. 13, 2007 - Death of Henry Sage (1897)
    Article from The New York Times in 1897 on the death of lumber baron Henry W. Sage, of Ithaca, NY. Sage and his partner John McGraw built the world's largest sawmill on the west side of the river in 1865. The mill's company town became the village of Wenona, it became a part of West Bay City, which in 1905 merged with Bay City.
  • Heritage/Writings {View}
    Oct. 13, 2007 - 1849 Plat Map of Lower Saginaw.
    Plat map with typed transcription of handwritten text.
  • Maps Library/ [View]
    Oct. 13, 2007 - Lower Saginaw: Pioneer Days of 1850s.
    Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx. -- An article published in 1885 was written by a pioneer from that time, it provides an interesting description of what early Bay City was like.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {View}
    September 2007

    Sep. 20, 2007 - Bio.: Judge Sydney S. Campbell. (1804-1887)
    Sydney Campbell was among the small early group of men who got the original Bay City settlement off the ground. He also founded the settlement in Bridgeport and was the first superintendent of Hampton Township when it was in Saginaw Co.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [Bio. Sydney S. Campbell]
    Sep. 19, 2007 - Bio. Judge Albert Miller.
    Judge Miller was one of the early pioneer settlers in the Saginaw Valley, and the founder of Portmouth village, which became a part of Bay City. He was also among the founders of the First Presbyterian church.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1874: Bio. Judge Albert Miller}
    Sep. 18, 2007 - Bio. Newell Avery Eddy.
    Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
    Eddy move to Bay City in 1880, from Bangor, ME where he was born in 1856. He became a highly successful businessman in lumber, mining, transit, and in the banking business.
  • Heritage/Writings {Bio.: Newell Avery Eddy}
    Sep. 15, 2007 - Dollard is Dead.
    Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
    William H. Dollard was the first person from Bay City to die in the Spanish American war. This story was published by the Bay City Tribune on August 4, 1898.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [1898: Dollard is Dead]

    Sep. 15, 2007 - Bio. Leverette A. Pratt.
    An architect during Bay City's early years, Pratt erected many of the city's prominent structures, including present City Hall and the Presbyterian church on Center and Jackson.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Bio. L.A. Pratt}
    Sep. 9, 2007 - Map of Seaman's Cemetery.
    Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
    -- The original plat map of George D. Seaman's cemetery filed for in 1891. Seaman's cemetery is located on the south boundary of Pine Ridge Cemetery on the west side of Tuscola Road.
  • Maps Library / {Seaman's Cemetery Map}





    Aug. 31, 2007 - Map 1830: Michigan Territory & Counties.
    Before Michigan joined the union as a state in 1837, it was a territory that was more than triple its present size. This map shows the 14 counties that comprised the territory back then. The present counties of the Saginaw Valley didn't exist, they were a part of Oakland county.
  • Maps Library / {1830 Michigan Territory}
    August 2007

    Aug. 31, 2007 - Williams Family of Michigan History. (1885)
    Document written by Ephraim Williams for the Michigan Pioneer Society. The Williams family was among the early settlers of Michigan. Ephraim, operating out of the Saginaw settle, had a Indian trading store. His two brothers, Alfred and Benjamin, were founders of Owosso. This is an interesting account of these early times.
  • Heritage/Writings {Williams Family History}
    Aug. 2, 2007 - Pine Ridge Cemetery Sold. (Update).
    Contributed by Alan Flood, an interesting newspaper article from 1905 announcing the sale of Pine Ridge cemetery by Mrs. Sophia Birney Blackwell to George W. Ames, a realtor and insurance agent. Sophia is the daughter of James and Amanda (Moulton) Birney. James was the founder of the cemetery which dates back to the late 1850s.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [Pine Ridge Cemetery]
    July 2007

    Jul. 29, 2007 - Your Health News & Resources.
    We added this new web page to our Special Features section, which includes a daily news feed from Medical News Today, and some very good resources related to healthcare.
  • Information/ {News: Your Health}
    June 2007

    Jun. 27, 2007 - Short History of Bay Lodge #5 of the International Shipmasters Association.
    Contributed by Alan Flood. - The Bay City Lodge #5 was founded in 1890 by a group of about 20 members. The lodge gave up its charter in 1895. Bay City Lodge #5 was reactivated in 2001 after a lapse of 106 years.
  • Heritage/Groups/ {History of Bay City Lodge #5}
    Jun. 22, 2007 - New Pictorical for Industrial Works (Brownhoist).
    Over 50 vintage photos of cranes and scenes from inside the main manufacturing building and around the plant of the former Industrial Brownhoist Corp. Also includes several old images of other cranes at work in different locations.
  • Pictorials/ {Industrial Works (Brownhoist)}
    Jun. 18, 2007 - William L. Clements' Obituary (1934)
    -- Contributed by Alan Flood.
    William Clements served as president of the Industrial Works (Brownhoist) for 20 years, a company that his father was a founding partner, in 1873. He was an advid collector of early American history, which he donated to his alma mater, the University of Michigan, and is now the the William L. Clements Library.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Obit.: Wm. L. Clements}
    May 2007

    May 18, 2007 - Pictorial: Tour of Bay Co. Museum.

    With the help from the Bay County Historical Society, we are able to provide viewers with a virtual tour of the museum's excellent exhibits pertaining to the history of Bay County. Take the virtual tour, then plan a visit to the museum to learn the detailed histories they represent.
  • Pictorial Library/ [BCHS Visual Tour]
    May 2, 2007 - Bio., Lee E. Joslyn (1915).

    Joslyn, born in 1854 at NY, moved to Michigan with his parents in 1881, where he went into the legal profession, residing in Bay City and later in Detroit.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Bio., Lee E. Joslyn}



    May 1, 2007 - Bio., George F. Williams (1892).
    Williams, a native of New York, was Vice President of the shipbuilding firm, F. W. Wheeler & Co., of West Bay City, MI.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Bio., George F. Williams}
    April 2007

    Apr. 30, 2007 - Biography of Joseph Defoe (1892).
    Joseph is the father of Harry J. Defoe, founder of the Defoe Shipbuilding Company.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Bio.: Joseph Defoe.}
    Apr. 10, 2007 - Corbin School Destroyed by Fire (1907).
    Corbin, a four room school, was located at Fulton and Litchfield streets.
    Heritage/Writings {Corbin School Fire.}
    Apr. 10, 2007 - Bay City Council Meeting Jun. 12, 1907.
    Discussed at this meeting was selling Washington park, water service to Wenonah hotel, residents objection to bill board and sidewalk improvements.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Council Meeting}
    Apr. 8, 2007 - Bio.: Thomas A.E. Weadock (1850-1938)

    The Hon. Weadock served as prosecuting attorney in Bay Co., mayor of Bay City, two terms in the U.S. Congress, and justice on the Michigan Supreme Court.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [Political Bio. Thomas A.E. Weadock}
    Apr. 5, 2007 - Eight Cannons Scrapped for War Effort. (1942)
    During the first half of the 20th Century, Bay City had eight vintage cannons that were acquired for the city by Congressman George A. Loud. These cannons came from Ft. Sumter and two navy vessels, the U.S. Hartford and U.S. Portsmouth. All were melted down at Hirschfields scrapyard and donated to the WWII war effort.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [Cannons Scrapped for War Effort.]
    Apr. 5, 2007 - Political Bio. George A. Loud (1852-1925)
    Congressman Loud was a resident of Au Sable, and a representive of the 10th Congressional District, who acquired two cannons for placement Bay City's Battery Park.
  • [Bio. Hon. George A. Loud]
    Apr. 3, 2007 - Bousfield & Co. Fire. (1881)
    The Bousfield & Co., located in the southend of Bay City, caught on fire causing a loss of $10,000, including several nearby buildings.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1881: Bousfield & Co. fire.}
    March 2007

    Mar. 30, 2007 - News Brevities - October 31, 1863.
    Local news items published by the Bay City Press and Times.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {News - Oct. 31, 1863}
    Mar. 29, 2007 - Bay City - Saginaw Base Ball Club (1890)
    Two interesting articles published in 1890, when a new ball park was being built in West Bay City for this team. The new park was headed up S.O. Fisher, former congressman, and it appears to have been located west of Henry street near the Sage Library.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [1890: New Base Ball Park]
    Mar. 27, 2007 - Bay City All-Stars Football Team.
    In 1948 Frank Koppelberger, a local sports enthusiast, founded and sponsored the Bay City All-Stars semi-pro football team, which went to become a powerhouse in the newly formed Southern Michigan Football League.
  • Heritage/Sports/ {Bay City All-Stars Football History}
    Mar. 19, 2007 - Bay City Semi-Pro Football Teams.
    Taken from game programs of the Bay City All-Stars, contributed by Barney Glowicki. Brief histories on semi-pro football teams in Bay City.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1948: BC Semi-pro Football History}
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1951: BC All-Stars Team History}
    Mar. 16, 2007 - Sports History Pictorial
    We've been able to create a new Sports History Pictorial thanks Barney Glowicki who recently contribute photos on the Golden Gloves and the Bay City All Stars semi-pro football team.
    Pictorials/ {Pictorial: Sports History}
    Mar. 1, 2007 - History of The Bay City Times Newspaper (1899-1915)
    Written in 1915, this history includes the names of several of Bay City's early newspapers.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1915: The Bay City Times History}
    February 2007

    Feb. 26, 2007 - The Lumberman's Gazette. (1872)
    Story in the Bay City Journal on the first issue of the Lumberman's Gazette, of Henry S. Dow.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Lumberan's Gazzette}
    Feb. 26, 2007 - Fire in Village of Wenona (1872)
    Fire destroyed building on Linn and Janes streets, owned by Martin O'Brien, of East Saginaw.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Wenona Fire}
    Feb. 26, 2007 - The Fraser House (hotel).

    James Fraser, one of the original founders of Bay City, erected this hotel in 1864, which lasted until 1906 when it was destroy by fire. The Wenonah Hotel replaced it, and now the Delta College Planetarium is on the same spot. Included with this history are the arrivals on April 18, 1872 for the Fraser, Campbell and Wolverton hotels.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [Fraser House]
    Feb. 25, 2007 - New Bridge to span Middle Grounds. (1872)
    Article from the Bay City Journal published July 17, 1872, about the new bridge to be built spanning across the middle grounds where the present Lafayette Bridge is located.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [1872: A New Bridge.]
    Feb. 24, 2007 - John McGraw & Co., Mill and Salt Works.

    John McGraw hailed from Ithaca, N.Y. and was one of the lumber barons of the late 1800s that made huge investments in Bay City during its lumber boom era. These articles describe the McGraw mill that was located on Harrison Street, and the huge fire that burned it to the ground in 1872.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1872: John McGraw & Co.}
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1877: Death of John McGraw.}
    Feb. 21, 2007 - 1949 Bay City Blazers Football Team.
  • Game program listing all the players, including a team photo. -- Contributed by Kathy (Stroemer) Czuba.
  • Heritage/Sports [1949 Bay City Blazers]
    Feb. 19, 2007 - Three new death notices, one maritime bio, and one update.
    Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx:
  • Drowns near Genesee ave. bridge in Saginaw.
    Heritage/Writings/ {1900: Capt. John Ballor}
  • Great Lakes captain, owner of National Boiler Co., dead.
    Heritage/Writings/ {1932: Capt. Michael Maher}
  • Death of Great Lakes
    Heritage/Writings/ {1925: Capt. John Trudo}
  • Added death notice for
    Heritage/Writings/ {1914: Capt. Leonard Sleno}
    Contributed by Links to the Past website:
  • Maritime biography of
    Heritage/Writings/ {1899: Capt. Vincent Gerard}
    Feb. 18, 2007 - Two brief death notices.
    Selwyn Eddy was a lumber businessman and owner of Eddy Bros. & Co. in Bay City. Thomas Cranage held several business interests in Bay City and was also the founder of Michigan's sugar industry. -- Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1911: Selwyn Eddy}
  • Heritage/Writings/ {1911: Thomas Cranage}
    Feb. 14, 2007 - Captain John Lester dead at age 80. (1903)
    Capt. Lester was born in Marine City, MI, but lived most of his life in Bay City where he found plenty of maritime work, which included skippering the tug "Tipperary" owned by W. J. Meagher of the Bay City dredging business. - Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Capt. John Lester}
    Feb. 13, 2007 - Death of Capt. Richard Armstrong (1903)
    Capt. Armstrong, a native of Canada, built the first fire tug on the Great Lakes while living in Bay City and where he owned many steamers of the Handy Boy line. - Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
  • Heritage/Writings/ {Capt. Richard Armstrong}
    Feb. 12, 2007 - 1868 Businesses in Village of Bangor.
    The village of Bangor was later renamed Banks, and is today a part of Bay City's west side. This old newspaper article describes the various early business of the village with a population of about 1,000. - Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx.
  • Heritage/Writings/ [1868 Banks Village]
    Feb. 3, 2007 - Biography of Scott W.Sayles (1803-1865)
    Scott W. Sayles was one of the original founders of Bangor Township which was organized in 1859. He served as the townships first supervisor. Contributed by Mary J. Sayles, a second great grandduaghter.
  • Heritage Library/ {Bio.: Scott W. Sayles}
    Feb. 2, 2007 - The Aladdin Homes Company of Bay City, MI.
    Aladdin was the first company to offer "pre-cut" homes which were popular during the first half of the 20th Century. Sears, Mongomery Ward and others were quick to enter the market that the Sovereign brothers created. We've create a new pictorial showing this history and some of the homes they designed and sold.
  • Pictorials/ {Aladdin Homes]
    January 2007
    None.